You are not logged in.

Friday, July 7th 2006, 4:35am

Dredging question

Anything fancy needed to do it, in Wesworld rules? Or can it be as simple as throwing an excessively large anchor off the stern and flooring the throttle? :x

Friday, July 7th 2006, 7:00am

We don't have any rules for that sort of stuff. The infrastructure rules only cover slips and drydocks and general port size. I think to do a proper job you'd need actual dredging equipment, but that's beyond the scope of the sim and more a role playing issue.

Friday, July 7th 2006, 7:24am

I agree, there are zero rules on this sort of stuff. Its purely storyline material. It comes down to realism really.

The Mexican Canal is an example. Its a huge project, thats made more realistic when several nations come togeather to complete the project.

Friday, July 7th 2006, 7:38am

So basically, if I wanted to build some dredging ships to go along with the route-clearing icebreakers I recently announced, they'd similarly be 'off the books'?

Friday, July 7th 2006, 10:44am

Why not? Thats what my antarctic exploration ship is mostly. IIRC the navy only put in 3,000 tons leaving the rest for other sources. I beleave the Philippino's have done the same.

Friday, July 7th 2006, 3:05pm

I would say...

...it depends on who would own/use them.

If they're purely civilian vessels (to be operated under contract to the military?), then they fall completly outside of the sim rules.

If they're to be "reserve" vessels - i.e. built by/for civilian uses, but with the intent-at-origination for probable later military use - like the Filipino Orca-class whale factories - then I'd suggest budgeting part of their cost under "government furnished equipment" - engines, provision for armament, that sort of thing. (They will, of course, also need a refit later to fit the armament when actually impressed...)

If the ships are to be strictly military owned from keellaying onwards, of course, you pay the price. ;-)