You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 28th 2006, 2:01am

The War at Sea 1939-1945 by John Hamilton

I recently added the above to my collection. This isn't you're standard single-volume rehash of the war at sea. It is profusely illustrated with John Hamilton's own paintings, with a somewhat general history test accompanying to help 'set the scene' of his paintings. There are a few accompanying maps, giving relative positions that also help illustrate the situation to the reader. I have to admit, on seeing the book online, I was very intrigued by the idea of a book illustrating things we all know about but there is no photographic record. Some examples of this Hamilton's painting of Torpedo-8 attacking the Japanese at Midway, or his painting of Renown struggling through the Force 8 gale on 8 April 1940. (I'm sure BC Renown would like this picture very much.)

While I find this book excellent for it's illustrations, I'm slightly disappointed by the execution. Many of Hamilton's fine, detailed works are guttererd, hiding some important detail that I'd rather see. If I were going to make a recommendation on a second edition, I would say they should use fold-outs for the larger paintings to give readers uninterupted. His painting of the three Japanese carriers under attack at Midway is a beautiful, two-page illustration, and the gutter goes RIGHT through the track of the Akagi. Hamilton has gone through the trouble to show us in the painting that Akagi has been manuvering wildly, and they hide that in the gutter.

Despite its general history and flaws, the book is visually stunning. On that basis alone, I'd recommend it.

The War at Sea, 1939-1945, John Hamilton, Blandford Press (c) 1986.

Wednesday, June 7th 2006, 11:08am

Hmmm, I'll have to look for this one!