You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 5:40pm

AWNR Germany, 30 May 1921

An Interview with Chancellor Joseph Wirth

The Republic now has its third chancellor in as many years; he is Joseph Karl Wirth, a member of the Catholic Center Party and finance minister in the previous government. Herr Wirth was appointed Chancellor on May 10, six days after the resignation of Konstantin Fehrenbach. In this exclusive interview, we learn about Herr Wirth and his outlook on the Republic.

BO: Herr Wirth, some of our international readers may not be familiar with your career to date. Can I ask you to tell us about yourself?

JW: Yes, certainly. I have been involved in politics for eight years now, since initially being elected to the Baden Landtag in 1913. I spent some time working with the Red Cross during the war, but alas, my own health eventually gave out and I had to return home. I became involved in national politics in 1919 at the National Assembly in Weimar, and have been finance minister since March of last year.

BO: A post that you have now left for Chancellor. What was your reaction to President Ebert’s appointment?

JW: Begging your pardon, I am retaining the role of finance minister in addition to my duties as chancellor.

BO: My apologies. So what was your reaction to President Ebert appointing you as chancellor?

JW: It is an honor, but one that brings with it a number of challenges. The young Republic is being assailed from the left and right, our economy is in disarray, and we are burdened with the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

BO: The Catholic Center Party is in a coalition with the Democrats and the Social Democrats, a coalition that does not hold a majority in the Reichstag. Do you believe that will impair your government’s effectiveness?

JW: It will require that we seek outcomes acceptable to our own parties as well as others in the Reichstag. This is a reality of democratic politics.

BO: Chancellor, a few days ago Russia’s President Kerensky suggested that the Allies should pardon Germany from further reparation payments, and that the United States should forgive loans made to the Allies. Your thoughts on that?

JW: This is of course the issue that brought about Chancellor Fehrenbach’s resignation, and it will be at the forefront of this government’s agenda. In my capacity as Finance Minister, I can tell you that the obligation to pay twenty billion marks annually to the Allies is having a crippling effect on the nation. The fact that we have lost so much of our industrial capacity - due to territorial losses - does not help in this regard. That said, we have signed the Treaty of Versailles in good faith and I intend to follow through on our commitments.

BO: Does this mean you are not interested in President Kerensky’s proposal?

JW: On the contrary; I am making the point that I intend to see Germany live up to the commitments we have made. If those commitments can be adjusted to Germany’s favor, I will take whatever action is necessary to see it happen.

JW: I would generally agree with President Kerensky’s assessment of the economic situation. A concentration of wealth in any economy - global or national - is ultimately unhealthy and may well result in a collapse of that economy. It may be wiser to bring about change now, in a controlled and intentional manner, than to let the situation continue until it collapses on its own. Convincing the United States of America of this may be difficult, since that is where the wealth is going.

BO: Is President Kerensky correct in linking reparations to inflation?

JW: I would suggest that our inflation problem pre-dates our reparation commitments, and thus be something that can be controlled if the proper fiscal measures are brought into effect. A reduction or end to reparations would make this measures less of a burden. If the Allies choose to forego further reparation payments, Germany’s economy will recover sooner, and with it, the political situation could improve.

BO: How so?

JW: A healthy economy means limited inflation, which is particularly beneficial to lower income families. One might expect fewer strikes, and fewer clashes between the left and the right. Less bloodshed.

BO: Political violence concerns you?

JW: Indeed. The far right has particularly violent elements within it, some of which have commited murder and treason. The Kapp Putsch is an example of this; given the lenient sentences handed to the participants so far, they will not be deterred from future coup attempts.

BO: An alarming prospect to be sure. Thank you for your time, Chancellor.

JW: A pleasure.

Player note: Although the terms of the Versailles Treaty likely differ from historical, I'm keeping German politics as historical as possible until an obvious and attractive point of departure presents itself. Wirth was indeed appointed as chancellor in May 1921, and his underlying principles appear to have been consistent with what I've had him say here.