You are not logged in.

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 4:45pm

hi there...and some questions :)

well, I was doing some search in the web about battleship design, and such, and seems that I clicked on a link to this forum...I've read some of the posts and it seems to me this is some kind of alternate-history forum with several people taking the role of a nation and building up their naval strenght. Actually seems a very nice idea, but it also seems, sadly, that its too late for newcomers (and anyway I'm just a hopeless ignorant when it comes to designing a ship :D).

anyway I'd like to know how this "game" runs, which are the rules of building new ships, etc. for what I've read you don't build under WT limits, so I'd also be interested in knowing if there are limits to the designs, top tonnage limits, finantial concerns, etc, depending on the nation you rule.

it also seems you use some kind of battleship-generator, or calculator...is there any program that generates ships?. which one?.

finally, the weapons of the ships themselves. Do you use historical guns, or you design them too with yet another generator?.

I'll be lurking around this forum, because I love the idea and I want to see how the whole game goes on :).

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 5:38pm

The Cleito Treaty is our treaty, and can be found in the "Meeting Place". Rules for starting infrastructure and construction can be found in "Infrastructure". These will allow you to piece together how the sim works and how the various nations compare.

Rick Robinson's "Springstyle" and "Big Gun" programs are used to sim ships and naval artillery; his site is http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages…se/software.htm

Another fellow has an updated version of springstyle, called springsharp, but I don't have the link. There's probably reference to it somewhere in these fora.

Lurk away, and enjoy...

J

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 6:03pm

Here's the Springsharp address which I managed to locate in one of the threads on the Warships1 discussion board...

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~ross…val%20frame.htm

Walter

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 6:30pm

springsharp

Springsharp is a very good version which is laid out in a tab page format. Click on the tab and you can adjust the settings within that tab. I suggest all the simmers download it because its waaaaay better than springstyle. We always welcome visitors to drop by and comment on the sim as we prefere to not make this a private site. With public access any visiter with input can tell us what he thinks of the sim or our ship designs, so enjoy!

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 7:55pm

Financial considerations do not really come into play here as we don't have money to spend. There are simple rules of thumb that can be employed however. For example; you should aim for 1 battleship:3 cruisers:5 destroyers for a balanced fleet.

The Cleito Treaty, instead of Washington, gives us limits on what we can build. However there is such a thing as overkill; Italy doesn't really need 20 super battleships to protect her interests, 9 will do.

For bulding warships there are some infrastucture rules hanging around on one of the forums.

Lurkers/visitors are welcome, new ideas are very much apprecciated.

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 8:15pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and for your answers!.

I've read the terms of the Cleito treaty and I find them amusing :). It'll be interesting to see which kind of ships come out under those limits, and how do they compare with their historical counterparts :).

I've downloaded Springstyle, it rocks!. I've already made a couple of designs on my own...and yes, I made them after trying to make some ships that would fall apart under their own weight (lol).

I'll try to find the big gun generator, thus far I haven't been able to download it.

this leads me to a couple of questions...

Will there be a war in the future?. I mean, it's fun to design and build up a fleet deciding the designs of the ships themselves...but I'd say the best fun comes from seeing the fleet you've created and managed fight and win...or lose...and how your decisions have influenced that success/failure.

the second questions...are non-playing people allowed to post their own designs here, to get feedback on them?. When I finally make a ship worth mentioning I'd love to read people pointing out their weaknessess or strong points here :).

I'd understand if it's not allowed (after all someone could copy or draw ideas from designs posted by people not in the game, and I'm not sure if that would fit well into the game's spirit. Granted that if anyone draws ideas from my ships, he'll see his own fleet going under, very ,very fast :D, so that could be also a good reason for letting me post them, lol)

finally...will be there a re-run of this game in the future?. I know it must be a far, far, far future (seems you've just begun this one), but still... :)

Well, thanks again for the warm welcome and answers! :)

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 8:26pm

well

It depends how fast the sim moves along and when a war really breaks out how long that takes to wind down, then perhaps we hit the big reset button and start over again. feel free to post pictures and designs on the ship design thread and we can disect it and tell you how good/bad it is and or its weakness's. As to a war, we are still trying to figure out how to proceed in determining how the battle plays out. Roojin and I are currently working on the big ol map and hopefully we can post that here as well but its simply HUGE!

Wednesday, August 13th 2003, 10:09pm

War

Also, we are at the moment hammering out alliances and stuff, it'll be nteresting to see what happens. I'd like to have a few small confrontations. Big stuff? we shall see.

Bernhard

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 10:13am

Quoted

I'd like to have a few small confrontations. Big stuff? we shall see.

Well, it could start as a small scale confrontation, but it could escalate into something big. Perhaps a conflict like that could start between two non player nations and then player nations might start to get involved. Before you know it, we all could be involved in such a conflict.

... perhaps no nation would be left after our conflict because the apes have taken control of the world. :-)

Walter

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 7:05pm

lol

Those damn dirty apes!!

Mikey

Unregistered

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 9:26pm

SpringStlye

I have a question. Is there a non-zipped version of SpringStyle or SpringSharp?

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 10:11pm

huh?

please elaborate. don't you have

- pkunzip
- unzip
- winzip
- winrar

?? The top two are freeware

obviously it is possible to mail unzipped files to you, it is just so stupid that I'd rather solve the prob in a smart manner.

cheers

Bernhard

Thursday, August 14th 2003, 11:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by LordArpad
please elaborate. don't you have

- pkunzip
- unzip
- winzip
- winrar

?? The top two are freeware

And WinZip, the most common programme in my experience, and running under Windows, is shareware, so is free for a trial-period of 21 days (and after that, you can still use it, it just nags you about paying).

Mikey

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2003, 4:48am

Parents

The folks won't let me download any of those systems. They say we have no use for it.