You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 12:48pm

Fortresses in WW

Let's see: I know the Russians have been working on a number of coastal fortresses, and that the French are buying large numbers of coast guns. The Nords just posted a fairly impressive array of coastal batteries, too. Germany has some coastal batteries as well, still trying to work out how many and what kind of gun though.

How about NON-coastal fortresses? Has France built the Maginot Line? I know that Italy has built some fortifications, but where and how many there's no mention (yet). How about Peru? Or the Argentines? Or the Czechs? Etc, etc.

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 2:12pm

Denmark built a set of defences across the peninsula in the mid 20's, when there wasn't much ship building going on (political trouble!), as well as some interesting naval defences!

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 2:25pm

Well poland has the Hel defence area(Teren umocniony Helu)
the new 380mm and planed 280mm are going there.
Modlin is also heavy defended,Yugoslavia has lots of bunkers but nothing worth mentioning.Romania have some old fortheces.
I didnt bothered with that as they arent to important.
Im going with the assumtion that all port citys have some level of defence, but nothing more that 21cm from the begining of the century.

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 6:26pm

I had the advabtage of having a nation whose history has been changed hugely from RL, so I was able to create a reasonable array based around what I thought suitable, taking into mind the guns installed in South Georgia after the war, which Peng had stated in his write ups of it.

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 9:20pm

Atlantis has a set of land fortifications between the northern mountain ranges that I need to post details on eventually along with other smaller fortresses.

I need to do some digging on any Turkish fortifications.

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 10:42pm

designing the fortressess between Nordmark & Russia, though this will probably have to wait. The Coastal fortressess are outdated, and will have to be updated (though considering what the RL batteries south of Oslo did to Blucher I'm not so bad off)

Saturday, April 15th 2006, 11:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Earl822
designing the fortressess between Nordmark & Russia, though this will probably have to wait. The Coastal fortressess are outdated, and will have to be updated (though considering what the RL batteries south of Oslo did to Blucher I'm not so bad off)

Considering the geography of most major Norkarkian ports, there is little need for large costal artillery guns, as far as i know there is no ports that is open to the sea, narvik gothenburg is the one most exposed i can think of. It is usally at least 10km from the outlying islands to the main anchorage (the most extreme is stockholm were it is at least 30-40km)

So attempts to enter a harbour is best done with mines, historically (at least in the case of sweden) there were a lot of remotcontrolled mines laid in the main routes into the harbours, and ordinary mines in seconday passages.

But then again, counter bombardment guns are nice... :D

btw, is peopel aware that at its most shallow the sailing path in öresund is around 8m? Ships with more draft then around 7m have to use the belts.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Sunday, April 16th 2006, 2:34am

Netherlands Defenses

Still working on this all. Just posted a Dutch army.

The historical Waterline and Grebbeline both exist guarding the eastern border of the nation. In this version of the Netherlands, peaceful nuetrality did not entirely work (*cough* India), and armed nuetrality has been adopted. This explains the expansion of the fleet. There has been a revitalization of the armed forces in general. The Verdun battles led to a simular conclusion as the French made, that fortresses were viable and important. This was offset by the realization that Hutier tactics or armored penetrations could bring enough force to bear to break through the lines. As such the early post-war era from 1919-1923, saw an expansion of the existing lines, and the construction of a new one along the Belgium border. Concrete kasematen and firing positions reinforce the defensive lines, and old forts have been transformed into fire bases. Only the province of Limburg is not well defended, though the approachs to Maasricht are.

The defensive lines are designed as a cellular static defense supported by rear-area maneuver elements. Fortified fire bases (with large supply reserves) support elements of line arranged in depth. The multiple defensive lines are arranged with perpendicular lines connecting them. Should an enemy penetrate the line, these perpendicular lines will allow the breach to be contained, the flanking firebases are to interdict the lines of communication and more mobile reserve forces initiate containment and defeat of the foe.

Or at least that's my vision :)

Wednesday, April 19th 2006, 5:48pm

Italy - as historical with defensive lines being built in the Alps and Alpenines.

Thursday, April 5th 2007, 3:11pm

[An old thread that I'm resurrecting for it's original purpose.]

Germany is relatively lacking in fortresses: there are coastal batteries along the North and Baltic Sea coasts (mostly of 30.5cm, 28cm, and 15cm guns, with a smaller number of 21cm and 17 cm batteries), but on the landward side most all of the defensive works that Germany had before WWI ended up either in the hands of other countries or demolished as a consequence of the Treaty of Versailles. The only notable survivors are a number of pre-WWI fortresses in East Prussia.

Since the removal of the restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles on Germany, Germany has not embarked on any buildup of fortresses along it's new borders.

Thursday, April 5th 2007, 8:04pm

It depends on whether you think they're needed or not. Maybe some around vital locations, East of Berlin, around Hamburg etc....

Quoted

Atlantis has a set of land fortifications between the northern mountain ranges that I need to post details on eventually along with other smaller fortresses.

Re-reading this thread I found this extremely strange. Simply put - why? Atlantis is an island that doesn't need inland fortifications. The UK is the example to follow here. Inland there is basically nothing apart from the historic castles. More or less all the forts were built to defend either the coast or the ports(from land attack as well). It was only in WW2 with a more dire threat of invasion were greater defensive works inland started.

Thursday, April 5th 2007, 11:40pm

They are more or less old fortifications that have simply had MG nests added on. Nothing fancy.

Friday, April 6th 2007, 1:30am

There are major fortifications on Mindanao (near Davao) and several smaller fortresses situated in the plains north of Manila, where much of the Army's R&D, training, and development infrastructure is located.

Friday, April 6th 2007, 2:12am

...pay no attention to the series of cliffside fortresses under construction at various points on the Canadian Coastlines...

...I SAID PAY NO ATTENTION!
*gunshot*

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, April 6th 2007, 5:50am

The Netherlands have been upgrading their coastal defenses of late, as indicated in the SIM reports. The SATSUMA break with the Clieto Treaty led to more emphasis being placed on DEI. A fairly up to date list of the post 1923 batteries is in the Netherlands Encyclopedia under the Netherlands Army entry.

Friday, April 6th 2007, 11:11am

Argentina has no fortresses as such. There may be field fortifcations like dugouts and gun trenches in Tierra de Fuego from the 1920s still in use and maybe some along the SAE border. I'd expect more field fortifications to be built from now along the Paraguayan border. No real iron and concrete stuffbut more earthworks and trenches WW1 type defences. Cordoba being so close to the border may have some defences to it.

I keep meaning to get around to describing my coastal defences.

Friday, April 6th 2007, 10:34pm

http://www.geocities.com/naforts/forts.html
Covers the US and Canada. Main difference for the US is additional 16" batteries scattered around thanks to Cleito.

Saturday, April 7th 2007, 12:04am

Nice find!