You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 2nd 2003, 2:04am

Monroe doctrine?

Hi all,

looking at our map I'd like to postulate that the monroe doctrine does not exist. otherwise there is no way we all have that may holdings in the Americas.

cheers

Bernhard

Sunday, August 3rd 2003, 8:58pm

The Monroe-doctrine did not prohibit foreign powers from holding territories on the American continents, it only stated that no European power should gain additional territory on the American continents.

Sunday, August 3rd 2003, 10:26pm

hmm

What about if those country's decided to join a commonwealth? Would that still give the U.S. enough reason to react despite the country being added to a european powers list of territory's volintarily?

Monday, August 4th 2003, 6:54pm

Well, historically the independent decision of an American Nation hasn't stopped the US from intervening at the very least clandestinely. "Banana Republic mean anything to you? That remnids me does the United Fruit Corp exist already?

cheers

Bernhard

Tuesday, August 5th 2003, 5:06pm

I'm also wondering, now that I've had a look at the map, whether the Panama Canal exists or not. If Iberia hold Panama as shown, then the US presumeably hasn't built the canal. Has Iberia?

If the US doesn't control a canal, does this influence its deployments greatly? Does this influence its diplomatic relations with South American states?

J

Tuesday, August 5th 2003, 5:35pm

Well, I haven't a map to check everything (didn't see the need to ask for the preliminary one), but if Iberia has territory on the west coast of South America, a Panama canal would be useful for Iberia to get there rather than to sail along Cape Horn. A Panama Canal could also be useful to the US to move its ships from the east to the west.
The canal might be there but it could have been a joint effort between Iberia and the US, although I am not sure how the relationship between these two nations is.

Walter

Tuesday, August 5th 2003, 10:06pm

ok

Rooijen the map will be sent to you in its latest incarnation. As to the panama canal I can only speculate. I don't think Lordarpad has completed the history for his country quite yet, I can simpathise because I have yet to fill some HUGE gaps in Atlantian history. If the U.S. never built a Panama canal it will be quite hard for anyone from the Atlantic side to get to the Pacific side. Perhaps the U.S., Iberia and other country's have a hand in building it. I don't think Iberia could handle such an undertaking on its own but who knows?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, August 6th 2003, 3:12am

So far...

So far I assumed

a) the map is not good enough in detail but the Panama Canal is there and

b) the Panama Canal is controlled by the USA.

Everything else is hardly believable to me. The USA had important reasons to get the territory, build the Canal and controll it.

So I really can see no reason why the USA should give away controll over that canal or how Iberia could have managed to crap it from the USA. This would have meant another big US-Iberian war with the USA loosing it. But this hardly fits all our other assumptions where the USA is rated as a first place world power (even if neutral). Loosing such a war would have made it impossible to the US to gain the same level as GB I´m pretty sure (from a naval point of view).

So even if it looks like a small detail in first place the Panama Canal has to be dealt with carefully - and we better leave it as historical....

Just my thoughts,

HoOmAn

Wednesday, August 6th 2003, 6:22pm

With the Suez-canal, construction and control over it apparently was shared between Great Britain and France. Is it inconceivable that something similar would have happened in Panama? For instance, Iberia somehow taking over a mishapped French attempt (as historical), and approaching USA with a proposal for cooperation - it would be a win-win situation, with less cost for both nations, and more guarantee of success and actual completion of the project.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, August 6th 2003, 6:28pm

Maybe....

This could be...depending how good the USA and Iberia come along with each other........which is difficult to judge in this very SIM given that we decided the USA to stay neutral and not to be played.

Thursday, August 7th 2003, 1:36am

hmmmm

Perhaps the U.S.S. Maine is not sunk and as such, no spanish american war? That would explain alot about why alot of cental and south america is still under Iberia's control...unless the war did not go as well for the U.S., I imagine they could still manage to pry the Philipines away form Iberia. All this is null and void unless we truly know Iberia's history. The fate of the Panama canal and possibly the monroe doctrine hang in the balance!