You are not logged in.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 2:18am

True, as it is represented in the here and now. However, a lot of this stuff goes so far back that chaos theory would not have done its work to any significant degree.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 2:49am

Quoted

Also, which way do dowries go? Is it to the family of the wife or the family of the husband?

Classically, to the family of the husband.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 3:59am

So it would have to be a princess marrying into the SAE royal family for that angle to work.

However, an angle I like better is an SAE-fermented Uruguayan revolt later than historical results in the SAE sending in Marines to "keep the peace". Brazil threatens to declare war to kick what it describes as "the second coming of the Conquistadors" off the continent. SAE intelligence types use Uruguay as a pawn to distract Brazilian military efforts, thus leaving Argentina to go it alone, which would explain the gains against Argentina and would probably justify even greater concessions. Chile offers support to the "Triple Alliance", but a confused picture and problems closer to home keep them from following through; which might easily explain the chill relations between Chile on one end and the Triple Alliance (what's left of it) on the other.

It's the best I can come up with that reflects the current realities and relations of WesWorld. It leaves the Triple Alliance in bits and pieces, which allows for a war that sort of follows that Hooman claims the SAE did. Unfortunately, the Brazilian border situation was so ill-advised and such a cluster-fuck that something's going to have to be retconned. If the SAE territory was to be compensated the other way, it could easily explain the rather extreme antagonism that Argentina has towards the SAE/Nordmark and Brazil's seeming, until recently, impassiveness.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 4:47am

Or we could go with some other approach and keep Iberia has the main focus of South America's aggression, and leave the Africans to decay under their own devices and excessive military spending when they actually have no enemies. That would prove ironic should African's own military spending causes its downfall when they don't have anyone to fight.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 4:54am

True, but that's for later deciding once this whole thing's hashed out.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 5:00am

True. I'm just saying it early so it doesn't startle people later if things go that way.

Most of my points in the other thread are things that have been worked out before, or are critical for multiple players involved.

While I realize Hooman has little interest or time to spend on historical matters (fictional as they are), it would help to have reasonable, logical, and insightful input from time to time so we aren't poking in the dark, or wasting everyones, including our own, time on this project on the other thread.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 7:34am

Gentlemen, I suggest we take a little break from this discussion to gather our wits. Then we can leave our pride (and historical expectations) at the door and with an open mind make an honest attempt at coming to a general concensus as to what wesworld (as opposed to real world) South America looks like politically.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 8:40am

Funny, I thought that was what we were doing. I've offered two scenarios in which most of the criteria are met, but I've yet to think of one where all the criteria are. If you can, I welcome it, but frankly I don't see a reason to stop now that we're on a roll.

Friday, March 24th 2006, 9:19am

We have another thead discussing the finer points of history, this one is done for now.

Roll or not things are getting too personal, remember we are all freinds here, I'd rather not take extreme measures as a Moderator.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, March 24th 2006, 9:28am

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
I don't see how Uruguay can be joined with the African through marriage when we are dealing with Republics. It's not impossible, but it will need to be worked out.

Why does it have to be a Republic? This is WesWorld after all... :o)

I´ve seen a lot of interesting ideas above. From some kind of a flame war this has turned into something valuable and very useful. Please go on.

Notes:

- Do not stick too close to history. If Brazil looses too much to the SAE regarding population and fruitile land you´re free to either move the fruitile land and population a little bit or introduce another part of your country to be as important. Should you move population and wealth further into your current territories please make sure you´re not earasing SAE polulation. I named a few cruisers after those cities after all. :o)

- If it is too difficult to explain the coming into effect of the SAE possessions in the 1880s - why not move the whole thing a century or two further back into history. Heck, there´s no reason why the SAE didn´t come into existance in 1300, getting South American possessions in 1500 etc.... If this is the only way to solve the problem, that is, because somebody would then be forced to write SAE history - and I can´t.