You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 6:23pm

Let's Get Ready to Rumble...

Got to experience an earthquake for the first time last night. Nothing major, 4.5 Richter, but it made a nice, loud rumbling noise for about half a minute. I didn't feel anything, but Val, who was lying down, did feel the shaking.

So I can move that over to the "Done" side of the "Experience Natural Phenomena" list...

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 6:53pm

Got to experience Ireland's one and only (as far as I know) big shake (3.4) about 20 years ago.
I felt it because it shook my bed, waking me, and my first thought was to look out the window expecting to see a cloud over the fuel depot at Dublin airport.

Well, when you live in a country that, at the time, was going through what we refer to as "The Troubles", you think of the "human" factor long before you think of the planet having a "full body twitch!"

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 7:07pm

I don't think I can count the number of earthquakes I've experianced. From our larger one in 1989 to the thousands of micro ones we have every month.

But you get that when you live on the Ring of Fire.

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 7:11pm

Well Florida isn't known as a seismic hotspot. I've never felt any such...but (IIRC) my dad did, once, back in the 70s...

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 7:19pm

Quoted

But you get that when you live on the Ring of Fire.

Good thing that the big ones happened on other points of the Ring, right? (Chile (9.5) and Alaska (9.2))

BTW, here is your earthquake, Rocky. How far off is that from your place?

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 8:42pm

The Ring of Fire (at least here in the PNW) isn't really all its cracked up to be. We get a shake you can feel every 2-3 years, but thats about it.

And every five or six years Mt. St. Helens tosses up a little smoke and everyone screams "ERUPTION!" as loud as they can across the country. I wasn't even around to experience the 1980 eruption. :(

Although playing a(n) (American) football game with tiny little flakes of ash falling like snow is fun.

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 8:56pm

My first and so far only experience with an earthquake was IIRC 8 years ago now when seattle had their sizable one (6.4?).

I was in our lunch room at work where I felt a jolt. Now our lunch room is a room over our changeroom and washup area in the corner of a warehouse type building.

I was rather disappointed to lern that the tiny jolt I felt was acctually a quake.

I shouldn't be too disapponted considering that we are expecting a BIG earthquake in vancouver, likely under Vancouver island.

Saturday, February 25th 2006, 11:55pm

Well, when I lived in Kansas there were two or three, but they were very minor and I never felt a one. Tornados on the other hand...

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 12:12am

Interesting, the USGS puts the epicentre in Ontario, while the GSC put it a bit further north in Quebec. I'm maybe 30 km south of the USGS epicenter shown there.

I've only put check-marks next to "hurricane", "blizzard", "dust storm" and "earthquake" on the to-do list. Haven't actually seen a tornado in person, nor a volcano. Maybe I'll come down your way, Wulf, and see what there is to see.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:00am

Heh, I'm seen many a Blizard back when I lived in Ontario, now I see a blizard of a difernt kind whenever it snows here in Vancouver, which is a rare event. The drivers get completely lost after a few inches of snow.

Earthquakes, been there...sorta, I ahven't felt a decent one yet, not sure if I really want to.

Duststorms, I assume its not much different than a blizard except for the "sandblaster" feeling you get from the sand.

As for Hurricanes, Volcano's and Tornado's I'm not sure they are on the to do list.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:20am

Volcanoes are pretty much the only thing we don't have here in SC. Worst earthquake east of the Mississippi was in Charleston back in the 1880's, somewhere between a 6 and 7. Twisters, been there done that several times, first in Texas in 79 then here a couple of times, then Hurricane Hugo. Sci-Fi channel has one of its cheese-o-rama disaster flicks on tonight about a volcano erupting in New York City, should make for a laugh filled evening.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:26am

How about that Volcano movie with Peirce Brosnan? Thats a good laugh too. If it wasn't for Helen Hunt, I likely wouldn't have watched "Twister".

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:31am

Dante's Peak was one of the better recent volcano movies, which isn't saying much. At least it used a somewhat realistic situation of an actual volcano going off, not like the one with Los Angeles, etc...

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:36am

...and don't forget about that demonic tornado movie I mentioned a few months back. Turns out somebody's actually invested in a whole series of flicks with natural disasters happening to exotic foreign places (in each case, while a helpful, handsome American happens to be visiting). Though I fail to see how you can dramatize a demonic earthquake in the same way as photoshopping a nasty facial expression onto a reddish tornado (seriously).

The dust storm was different. I was about thirteen or so, and the whole family was puttering at home on a Sunday. I happened to notice a brown smear across the horizon and pointed it out to my father. We watched it grow larger for a little bit, and then decided we'd better button up the house. When it arrived, it was pretty impressive - just a wall of dirt and debris flying sideways for about twenty minutes or so.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:37am

Well, I don't live in Kansas anymore, but if you ever do head that way during summertime and hang with some stormchaser you'll catch a tornado for sure. When I was in the 3rd grade there was an F1 that could have turned into an F5 really quick. I used to live not two miles from the primary airbase near Topeka and the tornado came within a couple hundred meters of the perimeter. All they have there are KC-135 Stratotankers and a few B-52 bombers, so you can imagine the destructive potential. Luckily all the nukes had gone elsewhere by then.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 2:22am

Don't get me started on Twister...

When it comes to real storm chasing, this might be of interest.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 5:21am

Well, at least that movie was everything I expected it to be, which was not much! It says something when you switch the channel to watch Armageddon with Bruce Willis because its a better movie than the steaming pile that was on Sci-Fi.

Saw a twister in Dallas back in 79, about a month after we moved there from Toronto. The color of the sky still gives me a shiver when I think about it. A sickly green, sort of like European One green camouflage. Has another twister pass a few hundred yards from my house about a decade ago, sounded like someone parked a 747 in my yard. Luckily it just took the swimming pool and not the roof!

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 5:29am

Arizon happens to be free of most types of natural disasters. Only thing which might qualify is dust storms.

But I used to live right under the path of Fighters heading from Davis Montana AFB (Tucson AZ) to the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range. We had a sonic boom about every week. The entire house would rattle.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 6:11am

I traveled through Barrie, Ontario after their big twister. It kinda spooked me....

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 11:22am

I get none of these - must be karma... ; )

Cheers,