You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 12:11pm

Chaos and Anarchy in the Streets of Canada!

Okay, maybe just a lot of people saying, "This sucks, eh?"

Why? Because the Canadian men's hockey team got sent packing without medals. Glancing at the newspapers, you'd think it was the end of the world.

So what's your interest in the olympics? Are you glued to the TV? Utterly disinterested? Or somewhere in between?

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 12:15pm

I've checked in the paper in the morning to see how the US teams are doing, but other than that, I haven't watched any of the games.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 12:28pm

I´m checking on a regular basis (live ticker while on work) and watching summary in the evening. Also spend some time in front of my TV last weekend....Biathlon being my most favorite.

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 1:24pm

Yesterday I had a French seminar on "Les Jeux Olympiques" instead of the more normal L'Ingenerie Mecanique. I think the lecturers were just bored. One of the postgrads from my department won a silver medal in the skeleton bobsleigh - her thesis is on the design of teatrays. Some events I really couldn't care less about, watching curling yesterday was like watching paint dry. The cross-country skiing wasn't too bad.

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 3:49pm

"Utterly disinterested" here.

"I'd rather be fishing"

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 6:17pm

Didn't the Canadian women's team get the gold? I know they medaled. Hey, at least the Canadians are on the same boat as the US men's hockey is concerned. Oh, that's right, they pride themselves on being "Not America".

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 6:49pm

I perfer my steel and grey metal around here...at least they have guns

Its not like 1980. (USA vs. USSR)

I've always been more for the Summer Games, but then I was a swimmer, so that is about the only sport that interests me at all.

I've not been paying attention much save for passing reports on the radio we have playing at work. That and John Madden's local segments that are usually entertaining as he tries to figure these games out.

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 8:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Fyrwulf
Didn't the Canadian women's team get the gold? I know they medaled. Hey, at least the Canadians are on the same boat as the US men's hockey is concerned. Oh, that's right, they pride themselves on being "Not America".

Women won Gold yes, as for the men they obviously didn't want it enough and likely expected it to come waltzing into their laps.

That being said I'm not about to rip apart the entire team, Pronger played with a broken foot. The simply didn't mesh well togeather and Gretzky could have enlisted the efforts of a few more rookies and leading scorers. Crosby is abit over hyped but to pass up a rookie with his talent wasn't too smart considering his rookie rival Ovechkin scored the winning goal for Russia.

Not sure what you mean about Canadians priding themselves as "not American".....any Canadian that brags about that is merely insecure about their own identity, likely a flaming liberal......

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 8:29pm

Mmmm flaming liberals. I hear they go good with soy sause and crabcakes.

I don't imagine the collective Canadian spirit over hockey loses is not as bad as Raiders fans (I live near Oakland). If the Raiders are in the superbowl, you can bet there will be a riot of some kind in Oakland. It doesn't matter if they win or lose really, it just changes what gets damaged.

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 10:58pm

Speaking of political hijinks, I saw this bumper sticker today;

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney
than get in a car with Ted Kennedy

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 10:58pm

Quoted

Are you glued to the TV?

Nope

Quoted

Utterly disinterested?

Yep

Quoted

Or somewhere in between?

I wanted to be decisive but now I'm not sure...

Quoted

Canadian men's hockey team got sent packing without medals.

Hmm, now you'd have an idea of how the Germans felt about WW1 - what do you mean we lost!!!!

Cheers,

Friday, February 24th 2006, 12:34am

would that be the same team that lost 17 - 0 to the Czech Republic recently in the worldcup finals?

and nah, I barely ignore the winter olympics

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Friday, February 24th 2006, 1:31am

Winter Olympics...hmmm...I don't care really. If it was another era I might care that the US got more medals than the commies, but otherwise I just watch out of curiosity to remind myself what crazy things some people think sports are.

And to think that the next Winter Olympics are only a couple of hundred miles away from my home...say, Rock Doctor, do you already have tickets? :)

Friday, February 24th 2006, 2:23am

Winter sports... whats that one in Finland (IIRC) where they race trail bikes on ice with spiked tyres - make THAT an Olympic sport!

Cheers,

Friday, February 24th 2006, 2:30am

Have tickets? Heck no. I'm on the wrong side of the country anyway.

Me, I pay enough attention to be pleased that the Canadian athletes (or at least the female ones) are doing well - but frankly, I think we could do far more useful things with the $100+ million bucks the government spends on this stuff.

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Friday, February 24th 2006, 2:45am

Wait a sec...I know you're on the wrong side, you're up in Baffin Island.

Sorry, I should've directed my jest at Smilingassasin, since he's the one that lives in Vancouver, right?

Arrrgh...getting my Canadians mixed up. :)

Friday, February 24th 2006, 3:55am

Quoted

Arrrgh...getting my Canadians mixed up. :)

Not hard to do when seemingly the vast majority of this motley crew is Canucks, eh?

Friday, February 24th 2006, 4:08am

I keep waiting for me to do something wrong running Canada and find myself blocked from the site or something, lol

j/k

:P

Friday, February 24th 2006, 4:36am

I was on Baffin Island; now I'm a little ways outside Ottawa. Where're you then?

Quoted

I keep waiting for me to do something wrong running Canada and find myself blocked from the site or something, lol

Don't worry, we'll give you lots of rope first...

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Friday, February 24th 2006, 5:22am

I'm currently located in a podunk town in SW Washington State.

In September I will be located in a fancy dorm room in Waco, TX attending Baylor University on a nice fat scholarship. :)