You are not logged in.

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 7:55pm

I think the only advantage of the Brooklyn layout over the Mogami is that as the barbettes are closer to each other, the lenght of main belt needed to protect them is shorter than the one in the Mogami layout, thus the whole lenght of the main belt can be smaller.

In a sense is the same reasoning that led to all forward gun BBs, such as the Nelsons.

(Edit... I guess I´m late posting this... well... that´s what happens when you try to do too many things at the same time...)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 9:10am

Keep in mind the position for those turret´s ammo chambers. If the barbets are grouped together so are the hoists and handling platforms....

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 9:57am

There seems to be a general consensus for the Mogami layout, so that's what I'm planning on going ahead with. Oddly enough, though, I like the look of the Brooklyn layout.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 2:57pm

Rcn Cl

Maybe you'll like this cruiser design. Note that the #3 turret is mounted at the normal height for a three or four turreted ship and the #4 turret is mounted somewhat lower than normal to compensate for the topweight incurred by adding the fifth (#2) turret. This, of course, means that the #2 and #3 turret guns cannot fire directly ahead while at 0 deg elevation. Similarly, the #4 turret cannot fire directly over the stern. I think that's a small price to pay for the compactness and savings in topweight, while maintaing a superfiring capability for all turrets.

The hangar setup is similar to the RN's 'Town' class CLs but, is sited a deck lower, again to save topweight.

I have no idea how well this will sim out, I just posted to illustrate the concept.

Regards,

Monty Mills

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 8:17pm

That's a very nice design Monty.....unfortuantely my Class "A" (8000-13000 ton) tonnage is spoken for already.

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 11:20pm

Beautifull drawing (as usual) Monty!