You are not logged in.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:24pm

Correct, putting 5.5" guns on DDs is a Treaty no-no, any such vessel would count as a light cruiser.

You've also got 5.5" guns on all of your heavier vessels, so even if you tried to regun the Diana's (which probably wouldn't work very well), you'll still have the 5.5" in your fleet. Going to 6" for the next class will actually add a new bore size to your logistics issues.

At least according to Navweaps, you may not want to change them out: the 6" fired 112 pound projectiles 6-8 times per minute, where the 5.5" fired 82 pound projectiles 12 times per minute. Certainly at first glance, that's a win for the 5.5", especially since neither gun had a AP round available.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:28pm

Sim out possible follow-ons to the Dianas using 5.5" and 6" guns. See what you like. On a similar hull, the 5.5" ship ought to give you some room for extra armor or speed or something.

Alternately, the politicians might just like that the 5.5" cruiser can be a bit smaller than a 6" cruiser.

In the worst case, you could send the older 5.5" ships to the West Coast and leave the 6" ships in the East. Creates some logistical issues at the national level, but ensures regional inter-operability.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:32pm

You could always make the 5.5" gunned destroyers but list them as light cruisers to comply with the treaty and then lodge a complaint that your destroyer tonnage is useless. Or make overly large destroyers that are light cruisers (2,500 ton ships) and use them in the destroyer roll, as you are not limited by hull number in the class "B" type cruiser...just tonnage alottments.

You can make whatever you want, as long as you call it by what the treaty says you should call it...but you don't have to use it like what the treaty calls it. That and if you have the tonnage in a catagory to spare.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:34pm

Quoted

Or make overy large destroyers that are light cruisers (2,500 ton ships) and use them in the destroyer role, as you are not limited by hull number in the class "B" type cruiser...just tonnage alottments.

Germany is currently thinking of doing this.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:46pm

The only ship other than the CLs with the 5.5" is Hermes. R&R still have the triple 4" seconadaries.

If I'd been up to it at the time of the treaty talks, I would've pushed for DD gun size being upped to 5.5", but I highly doubt that would've gone anywhere.

Since Canada is trying to push for more than the usual low-tier Greek/Indian limits, turning around and trying to pull 5.5" destroyers as CLs, then complaining about them, doesn't seem like a wise diplomatic strategy.

The only real reason for wanting 5.5" DDs, is the sizable amount of 5.5" guns I have (When the Chesters go to the great shipyard in the sky, I'll have 20 of them laying around), and it would've helped with standardization, especially if I choose to upgun to 6" on the CLs.

I'll just have to think more on it, I suppose

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 8:53pm

Quoted

The only ship other than the CLs with the 5.5" is Hermes. R&R still have the triple 4" seconadaries

Yep, my error, for some reason I was thinking they had the 5.5" too (though they'd be an improvement on the triple 4"). Even so, adding the 6" gun to the inventory won't help any logistics issues.

Quoted

If I'd been up to it at the time of the treaty talks, I would've pushed for DD gun size being upped to 5.5", but I highly doubt that would've gone anywhere.

Most likely not, I doubt there would have been many signatories willing to put their DDs behind in a gun race when they didn't need to.

Quoted

Since Canada is trying to push for more than the usual low-tier Greek/Indian limits, turning around and trying to pull 5.5" destroyers as CLs, then complaining about them, doesn't seem like a wise diplomatic strategy.

Probably not, again. I'm doubting Canada will get more than Australian limits, which are on par with the Greek and Indian limits, just trading some tonnage here and there. If you wanted to build 5.5" gunned destroyers, called them cruisers for Treaty purposes, and DIDN'T complain, though, then no one would have a beef.

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 9:33pm

If you decide to stick with the 5.5" gun, then you may wish to consider the Hector class when designing a successor.

It has inadequate seakeeping for Canada - and I'm not convinced about those qualities for the mother country - but it culd be a useful basis for a design.

RLBH

Thursday, February 9th 2006, 11:16pm

My original thoughts on Canada was to let someone be creative - just as someone was ah, 'imaginitive' with Greece. I'd envisaged a will to create a fleet in 1912 with 3 BB of 'improved QE' type. The R class BC fit the timeframe so I'd thought that they could be recast as ships similar to the pre Hood studies (look on Bobs site) but no bigger than the Renowns. Two built in Canada (only one complete) and the second in GB (completed first). Coventry Ordnance Works heavily involved in project so that's where the 5.5" guns come from.

This creates a Canadian fleet unit, supports an indigenous industry and justifies continued construction and support for a navy.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Friday, February 10th 2006, 5:46am

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH
If you decide to stick with the 5.5" gun, then you may wish to consider the Hector class when designing a successor.

It has inadequate seakeeping for Canada - and I'm not convinced about those qualities for the mother country - but it culd be a useful basis for a design.

RLBH

Where are the Hectors, since I can't find them (or the Dianas, for that matter) in the OOB in the Encyclopedia?

Friday, February 10th 2006, 6:48am

Atlantis has plenty of 5.5" gunned cruisers in service, as Jason said, you could simply send them at less important stations.

Friday, February 10th 2006, 11:19am

Quoted

Where are the Hectors, since I can't find them (or the Dianas, for that matter) in the OOB in the Encyclopedia?

Just follow the link in the original post, it will take you to them. They're another SMALL light cruiser (5,000 tons standard), mounting 8 5.5" guns.

Friday, February 10th 2006, 11:53am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH

RLBH

The Hectors never got built, and the British encyclopaedia entry is rather out of date (as in, 5 years). I intend to sort the latter as soon as I've finished my exams in the next 2 weeks.

RLBH