You are not logged in.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 2:13pm

The Lateran Treaties

The Lateran Treaties signed on February 11, 1929 have provided for the mutual recognition of the Kingdom of Italy and the Vatican City. The treaties were negotiated between Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Gasparri on behalf of the Holy See, and Armando Ianucci, the conservative leader, as Prime Minister of Italy. There are three treaties:
Territory of Vatican City
Enlarge

* A treaty recognising the independence and sovereignty of the Holy See and creating the State of the Vatican City. It has declared the following to be extra-territorial property of the Holy See (although remaining part of Italian territory): The basilicas and buildings of Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano (Coelian hill), St. Mary Major (Esquiline hill), St. Paul-outside-the-Walls (~2 km South of Rome), and the Holy Apostles Quirinal hill, and the churches of Saint Andrea-della-Valle (NE of Campo De' Fiore) and San Carlo-ai-Catinari (SE of Campo De' Fiore) with their adjoining buildings, the palace of San Callisto (Trastevere) and the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo (Alban Hills, ~20 km SE of Rome). (see Properties of the Holy See)
* A concordat (also known as the Lateran Concordat) defining the civil and religious relations between the government and the church within Italy (summarised in the motto: "free church in free State").
* A financial convention providing the Holy See with compensation for its losses in 1870.

Through the concordat, the Pope agrees to submit candidates for bishop and archbishop to the Italian government, to require bishops to swear allegiance to the Italian state before taking offices, and to forbid the clergy from taking part in politics. Italy agrees to submit its rules on marriage and divorce to make them conformable to the rules of the Roman Catholic Church, and to exempt clergy from military conscription. The treaties granted the Roman Catholic Church the status of the established church in Italy. They also give the Roman Catholic Church substantial control over the Italian educational system.

Signed by A. Ianucci, on behalf of the Italian people, and Pope Pius XI in Rome.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 2:14pm

I figured that I needed to include this news sometime considering its probably the most important event in Italian history since unification.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 2:16pm

Quoted

Enlarge

So what's the third treaty? I see Territory of Vatican City twice....

But yes, rather important stuff for Italy.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 2:22pm

I haven't a clue what the 3rd treaty is called, but its contents are above.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 2:28pm

Probably the financial convention, then.

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 6:32pm

But how many ships has the pope?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Wednesday, February 8th 2006, 6:38pm

The little ba-bas

The Pope has all the "ships of the field".