You are not logged in.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 7:38am

A Request

From talking to Wes, I understand that this is something of an irregularity, but I would very much like to do my quarterly reports from the start date. The logical reason for this is because no sane admiralty suddenly decides to undertake a massive building program less than ten years before the end of naval limitations treaty that isn't likely to even survive a revision. The absolute necessity, however, is that presently the Marinha Imperial is either in really bad shape refit wise or is busy immitating a reef for the fishies to play in off Rio. I promise I won't do anything that's been inconsistent with my plans so far; that is, I won't do some crazy building program that didn't happen prior to my arrival. I just want to make sure my navy is upkept.

Just to illustrate my point, I'm going to show you the status of the Armada as of Q4/29 without doing what I'm proposing.

BB Minas Gerais: 65%
BB Sao Paulo: 65%
B Riachuelo: 35%
B Aquidabã: 35%
CL Barroso: 5%
CL Amazonas: 100%
CL Abreu: 100%
CL Bahia: 100%
CL Rio Grande do Sul: 100%
DD Matto Grosso: 100%
DD Piauhy: 100%
DD Para: 100%
DD Rio Grande do Norte: 100%
DD Parahyba: 100%
DD Santa Catharina: 100%
DD Parana: 100%
DD Sergipe: 100%
DD Salvador: 90%
DD Maranhão: 90%
Two others: 90%
SS F-1: 90%
SS F-3: 90%
SS F-5: 90%
GB Jutahy: -25%
GB Teffé: -25%
GB Pernambuco: -5%
GB Acre: 40%
GB Missoes: 40%
ML Carlos Gomez: -15%
AOR Belmonte: 80%
STS Benjamin Constant: -15%

So, basically 40% of my navy is either a reef or so decrepit as to be only fit for scrap. And the most important 40%, at that.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 8:18am

You can recieve scrap tonnage for any ships not fit for service.

Hopefully I've explained the reason why your start date is the point at which you have free reign on whats occured in reguards to your infrastructure and any new builds.

The fleets of South America have been fairly balanced and created later than the start date for the sim.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 8:41am

[I'm not interested in recieving scrap value for the existing fleet before '29 and anything I'd lose would be well before then with no way to actually use the tonnage. Riachuelo, OTL, wasn't deemed unfit for service until '30 and the other battleships stayed on until the end of their operational lives. All I want to do is refit the ships that need refitting and if I can't do anything with the existing infrastructure I'm fine with that.]

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 9:51am

It seems unrealistic to me that all the CLs and DDs are in a (relatively) good or perfect shape while everything else is rotting away.

If a navy doesn´t have the money to keep everything alive it will focus on a few useful ships and what is needed for prestige, methinks, but I could be wrong.

Can you explain why the CLs and DDs are ready for a war but the rest is not?

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 9:53am

[Except for the lone Protected Cruiser, the CLs and DDs were either built in the 1920s or refitted then. Everthing else is from 1913 or before, three or four ships are actually from the 1800s, and there's no indication of a refit of any kind.]

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 11:39am

I'd think that, given the capabilities of Brazil, it would be reasonable for the older ships to have received refits as appropriate. That doesn't affect the local balance of power, it merely keeps ships that already exist functional.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 3:11pm

Perhaps yearly reports would be fine - it should allow you to do what you want without bombarding us with too many reports at once.

If you do still want to do pre-1930 quarterly reports, perhaps these can be posted to the Brazilian encyclopedia rather than into the Sim Reports Board?

I'm not sure I see the issue, though - with factories in hand, I'd have expected Brazil to be undertaking necessary upkeep measures between 1920 and 1929, player nation or not.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 4:09pm

I did at first, as well, but then I noticed that some classes had been reengined during a refit, some that didn't need it, and others that needed it hadn't. And yeah, I was planning on doing them in yearly lumps and the encyclopaedia is fine.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 5:10pm

I should have been clearer in the NPC folder...

I assumed that all vessels received refits at the proper times (=15 years). The ones with new engines were those receiving a rebuild (=30 years) at some point.

All your ships should be maintained and fit for battle, simply showing the normal wear-and-tear of tropical use (say a 1.5% decrease in status per year since refit/rebuild?).