You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 12:38pm

Mexican canal

Quoted

More of a hope that any Second War of the Pacific won't start until after the Mexico Canal is built than anything else.

I'd say that there is little chance of it being finished before 1950. Probably even later if it hasn't already been cancelled.

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 4:36pm

Really, what's the holdup? I mean, I'll have conquered Panama by then!

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 4:57pm

You won't of conqoured Panama, it is owned by Iberia & they have some powerful freinds i.e GB, Italy

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 5:00pm

[It was a joke. I've done nothing but joke this morning. I'm in a good mood. However, thanks for letting me know who Iberia's allies are.]

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 5:04pm

The holdup would be trying to dig for 100s of miles through solid rock.

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 5:16pm

[No rivers to take advantage of down in the istmas near Guatemala?]

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 5:58pm

The Second War of the Pacific, will more than likely begin in 1932, has the historical Chaco War did.

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 7:38pm

No rivers to take advantage of. Just digging a very long trench.

Saturday, January 28th 2006, 9:15pm

10 to 12 years, with more nations than historical helping out. No need to dig when you can blast.

The scale of the project is larger than the Panama project and there are rivers and lakes to take advantage of, otherwise the project wouldn't have even been considered in real life as it was.

No need to occupy Panama when you can cut it off, in many ways, should someone get feisty.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 1:07am

There are rivers either side of the continental divide and a rather low pass through the mountains. That will be the main obstacle where heavy excavation will be needed. There were serious proposals for a maritime railway across the isthmus prior to the decision to build in Panama or Nicaragua. Since both of those are Iberian in Wesworld, this was the only viable option. A guaranteed free route between the Atlantic and Pacific is essential to the US Navy. Without it I doubt the US would be too keen on staying in the treaty system. Having that route in the hands of a former and potentially future foe is not acceptable to the US long term.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 11:27am

10 to 12 years? Ha

Rivers and lakes aren't normally navigable to ships that are 300 x 50 x 14m. They seem like some reasonable dimensions. You'll need to dredge all those rivers and most of the lakes. Widen and straighten the rivers. Even with just a 1km stretch of canal that needs building, its still 0.7 cu km of earth to move.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 12:02pm

Construction of the 77 kilometers of the Panama canal spans a total of 34 years from 1880 to 1914 (1880-1889 by the French and 1904-1914 by the US) mainly due to all the problems they encountered.
It took 10 years (1859-1869) to construct the Suez canal (163 kilometers).
I would think that it is much harder to construct the Mexican Canal than those other two canals. Perhaps today it can be done in 10-12 years, but in the 1920s/1930s I think you're looking at 25 years, perhaps even more.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 9:30pm

Your not talking about a single nation doing the work here. Mexico is one of the most populous nations in the Central/South American region. You also have three major industrial nations (U.S., Atlantis and France) and Chile lending workers to the project and the Philippino's may be in on things IIRC. Ultimately the project would draw further work from other country's in the region.

The only possibly unrealistic portion of this project I can see is the multi-national aspect of the story.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 9:54pm

I don't see anything wrong with it. In the end, it's an anti-Iberia project, and that would be the unifying factor.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 9:57pm

For some nations maybe, but for others like the U.S. and Atlantis its a security issue while Mexico could use the economic boost.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 9:57pm

That is basically how Chile sees this project. Hurting the old double crown without having to do anything to Iberia directly. Plus this gives Chile a source of income if nitrate explosive are used heavily rather than synthetics.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:13pm

What about the Aussies?

Australia is also in. As I see the American route as the best route to GB, I want to have options in case of war.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:17pm

Australia wouldn't nessassarily have to be part of the project to get access through the canal as it will be open to commerce, thats one of the main reasons its being built.

That being said its CanisD's storyline so its up to him who's involved really so you won't see any stiff rejection coming from my dirrection.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:19pm

Quoted

As I see the American route as the best route to GB

WHAT? Its far shorter to go via Suez and there are lots of British territories and ports along the way. I could understand you having security concerns about India or SAE, but sending ships the other way makes no sense.

Wes. It takes one man 1 hour to scoop all the water out of a hole. How long does it take 1000 men? (clue: not 3.6s)

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:23pm

Chile doesn't look at it as a quick project, but a potential long term source of income. Be it 12 years or 32 years.