You are not logged in.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Wes. It takes one man 1 hour to scoop all the water out of a hole. How long does it take 1000 men? (clue: not 3.6s)

You obviously don't send 1000 men to scoop water out of one hole, you give em each a hole to scoop, 1000 men, 1000 hours and 1000 empty holes to fill. ;-)

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:37pm

True. But you don't have GPS or interferometers so you've got to dig from one end to the other.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:44pm

Or from both sides working in (sort of like railroad construction) or from the center and work out. If they don't meet in the middle, well then make a large artificial lake and call it good. People adapt, as to the projects they build.

Sunday, January 29th 2006, 10:47pm

Anyone got any idea of the height of the Mexican peninsula considering this is a sea level canal?

Monday, January 30th 2006, 12:00am

Quoted

WHAT? Its far shorter to go via Suez and there are lots of British territories and ports along the way. I could understand you having security concerns about India or SAE, but sending ships the other way makes no sense.
It might be shorter but it passes smack thru the middle of the Mediterrean. Lets see Russians, Turks, Greeks, Italians, French, Atlanteans, Iberians, (did I miss any?) all ready to go at each others throat. (not counting the SAE & Indians) No, Ill take the long way. Only Iberians and Americans that way.

Monday, January 30th 2006, 12:06am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Anyone got any idea of the height of the Mexican peninsula considering this is a sea level canal?

Canis worked the details out, including the number of locks required, I'd have to dig through files to see if I have the info.

You would still have a rough servey of the terrain to use as reference. You would then start at either side of the continent and at the highest point working to join the three projects.

Monday, January 30th 2006, 12:20am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Quoted

WHAT? Its far shorter to go via Suez and there are lots of British territories and ports along the way. I could understand you having security concerns about India or SAE, but sending ships the other way makes no sense.
It might be shorter but it passes smack thru the middle of the Mediterrean. Lets see Russians, Turks, Greeks, Italians, French, Atlanteans, Iberians, (did I miss any?) all ready to go at each others throat. (not counting the SAE & Indians) No, Ill take the long way. Only Iberians and Americans that way.

Well, the long way there's the possibility of any manner of dust-ups. Mind you, none likely to be very hostile to you, but it's still a potential warzone.

Monday, January 30th 2006, 12:55am

Safe route

Trans-Antartic Canal - the Polar Route

Monday, January 30th 2006, 1:59am

Quoted

Trans-Antartic Canal - the Polar Route

"...and beware of the penguins."

Monday, January 30th 2006, 9:02am

If I remember, there was a graphic of the proposed mexican canal, someone care to repost it?

ps; also, canis could you edit your first post in the 'big ass map' thread with a working link?

Monday, January 30th 2006, 6:48pm

Link to Map
This is a rough map. I've got a more detailed map but its not done yet and I haven't had the chance to work on it of late.

Monday, January 30th 2006, 7:05pm

Er...the link's just a bit wonky...

Monday, January 30th 2006, 7:55pm

Wonky? Its broke man!

Monday, January 30th 2006, 8:00pm

Lost and Found

Quoted

http://wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/cgi-bin/i/Misc/Wesworld/Misc/Canal.JPG

http://wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/cgi-…/Misc/Canal.JPG

Monday, January 30th 2006, 8:07pm

Yup, thats the one.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 1:23am

Its a case of this board doing things backward from other boards I'm used to. Here you put what you want the link to display as before you actual enter the URL, while other boards I frequent do it the other way around. I think I fixed it now.

Doug Wise

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 3:13am

Ah...it looks like the alternate canal site on the Isthmus of Tehuantepec is being used...very nice.