You are not logged in.

Monday, December 12th 2005, 4:05am

Chile Q2/1929

Chilean Naval Construction
1929 Second Quarter Report
April 1 - June 30, 1928

A. Factories

7/7 factories = 7,000t of material
3,125t are used, and 3,875t transferred, leaving a stockpile of 0t.

0/7 factories (committed) = 0.0 infrastructure pts
0/7 factories (flexible) = 0.0 pts = 0.0 pts available

B. Infrastructure Development

None

C. Naval Development and Construction

at Talcahuano:
S3: idle
S2: Construction continues on the new "Light" Cruiser Picunches (2,500 tons delivered) 9,747 tons needed, will require 563 days to complete (finishes during Q1/1929) - 514 tons remaining to complete.
S1: Laying down of new Light Destroyer Guardia Marina Gonzales (625 tons delivered) 850 tons needed, will require 296 days to complete (finishes during Q4/1929) - 225 tons needed to complete.
D3: idle
D2: idle
D2: idle
D0: idle

at Valparaiso:
S1: idle
S1: idle
D1: idle

at Mejillones:
S0: idle
S0: idle
D0: idle

Commericial shipyards:
idle

D. Transactions
------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of three "light" cruisers built in Atlantis with a second currently under construction in Chile, the third is under construction in Atlantis is being converted into an aircraft carrier.

First of two "heavy" cruisers to be built in Atlantis with the second to be built in Chile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1,830 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for payment on first "heavy" cruiser (5 of 5 + 1,695 tons for the final payment) - to be delivered in Q1/1930.

2,045 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for the first payment on the third cruiser/converting to carrier (2 of 6) - to be deliverd in Q3/1930.

E. Other Notes

Light Destoyer Guardia Marina Gonzales (DL-6) laid down this quarter.

Coastal Defense Battleship Almirante Gideon on trails.

Armored Crusier Capitan Tylor is running trials.

Armored Cruiser O'Higgins repaired and will return from its three months of trails in June.

Construction on "Light" Cruiser Picunches (CL-7) continues.

Old Destroyer Capitan Thompson has be regulated to training duty. She will likely be either broken up or used as a target within the this years.

Coastal Defense Battleship Capitan Prat will be scrapped starting in July of 1929.

Work continues on the "15 inch/51 caliber" cannon project.

F. Updated Order of Battle, June 30, 1929

Note: W(X)+Y(Z) = completed (under repair/refit) + under construction (...by a foreign power)

Dreadnought Battleships------2(0)+0
Predreadnoughts----------------2(0)+0
Coast Defense Ships-----------2(0)+0
Aircraft Carrier-------------------0(0)+0(1)
Armoured Cruisers--------------2(0)+0
Heavy Cruiser--------------------0(0)+0(1)
Light Cruisers--------------------4(0)+1
Protected Cruisers--------------3(0)+0
Floatplane Cruisers-------------1(0)+0
Destroyers------------------------8(0)+0 {1,200 tons std and up}
Destroyers (training)-----------------1(0)+0 {under 1,200 tons std: old}
Light Destroyers-----------------5(0)+1 {under 1,200 tons std: new}
Submarines-----------------------6(0)+0
Floatplane Carriers--------------2(0)+0
Subchasers------------------------12(0)+0
Colliers-----------------------------2(0)+0
Sail Training Sloop---------------1(0)+0
Transports-------------------------2(0)+0

-Emergency Use-
Patrol Boats---------11(0)+0
Transports-----------12(0)+0
Museum Ships--------1(0)+0

Monday, December 12th 2005, 4:17am

Isn't chile building one of its own CA's?

Monday, December 12th 2005, 4:31am

They will after the Light Cruiser finishes early in next quarter. Essentally they are going to use the same slip. and save the Type 3 for something else they will be laying down in either Q3 or Q4.

Tuesday, December 27th 2005, 8:28pm

Cruisers

The "Light" Cruiser Picunches will finish early next quarter to join "Light" Cruiser Atacama in the Chilean Navy. She will be replaced on the slip with a new "Heavy" Cruiser of Atlantean design.

CL Atacama

CA Nevado del Solado

[SIZE=1](Images provided by Wes Wilson)[/SIZE]

Wednesday, December 28th 2005, 5:33pm

Nice pictures. I'm not sure about the triple 110mm mounting. There is also a lack of hangar space for the aircraft.

Wednesday, December 28th 2005, 7:57pm

Well there is room if the triple 110mm turret needs to be bigger. I don't know about its usefulness, at least in terms of a dual purpose weapon, but as an anti-destroyer weapon in conjunction with the four twin mounts should be fairly effective when compared to the three triple 8 inch guns.

As for the hanger...I don't know. Wes do you think it needs one of those? Or is this normal for Atlantean design?

Wednesday, December 28th 2005, 10:27pm

Current Atlantean designs do not possess hangars, but there is sufficient room to add them in refits.

Thursday, December 29th 2005, 11:05am

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_4-45_mk9.htm

Triple mounts for light guns don't work too well.

I'd say that any Chilean design would need a hangar. As it is at the moment, the spray from the bow wave will end up over the aircraft causing corrosion and them to basically fall apart. I'd expect it would be possible for a wave to knock them from their perch in heavy weather down by The Cape.

Thursday, December 29th 2005, 3:46pm

I'd never considered that mount to be unpowered. I had not considered it to be individual sleeved or not really. That mount I'd thought to be more useful against destroyers than aircraft. A twin up there just looked wrong over the triple 8s compared to the triple 6s on the light cruiser.