You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 9th 2005, 1:45am

Wanted: Torpedo Bombers

30 June 1929

The Marina de Filipinas has issued a Request for Proposals for a carrier-based Torpedo Bomber to equip the air group of the carrier Sulu.

It is expected that an intial order for 50 aircraft of the winning design will be placed.

Proposals for a new carrier fighter aircraft will also be considered, especially as "package deals".

Friday, December 9th 2005, 7:38am

The Martin Company offers the tried and true T4M, the US Navy's current torpedo bomber, as well as the newly designed T5M which is under consideration by the Navy for production, possibly under the designation BM-1. Regretfully, Martin does not currently produce any aircraft that perform the fighter role.

Martin T4M-1 Torpedo Bomber The T4M can also be equipped with pontoons instead of wheels and can carry bombs in a level bombing role.
3 crew
Engine:525hp P&W R-1690-24
Wingspan: 53'0"
Length: 35'7"
Load: 3456lbs
Speed: 114mph
Range: 665 miles
Ceiling: 8,400'

The Martin T5M/BM-1 is designed to serve as a dive bomber capable of carrying a 1000lb bomb or as a torpedo bomber. It has less range than the T4M but otherwise better performance overall.
2 crew
Engine: 600hp P&W R-1690
Wingspan: 41'0"
Length: 28'4"
Load: 3624lbs
Speed: 150mph
Range: 477 miles
Ceiling: 14,900'.

OOC: I haven't got got a clue what the cost per airframe would be, I can't find any references that say.

Friday, December 9th 2005, 8:32am

Polands aircraft industry ansers the Filipino reqest

The Lublin XIIIT Torpedo bomber

and the PWS 15 Fighter aircraft

The Lublin XIII started life as a Line Aircraft for the polish army with low minimal speed and excelent flight characteristic.
The T model is a new torpedo carrier wariant.
Capeble of carriang areal torpedo up to 800kg weaght.
Armed in Two 7,92mm machine guns.
One firnig tru the propelor other in the rear.

PWS 15 fighter just entered production replacing Avia B.33 fighter in polish air forces.
Armed in Two 7,92 mm Machine guns firing tru the propelor
It is also capeble of caring 250kg bomb and can used as a dive bomber

Poland Is also ofering an license agremet for manufacturing of boght these aircrafts.

Friday, December 9th 2005, 2:16pm

Type: C.R.20
Function: fighter
Year: 1927 Crew: 1 Engines: 1 * 306kW Fiat A.20
Wing Span: 9.80m Length: 6.71m Height: 2.79m Wing Area: 25.50m2
Empty Weight: 970kg Max.Weight: 1400kg
Speed: 276km/h Ceiling: Range: 3.0hrs
Armament: 2*mg7.7mm

The sole aircraft Italy is willing to sell to the Philipinos. A fighter from Fiat. Philipino aircraft will be end of production run and ex-RMI (fully navalised, with strengthened gear and floatation bags). Unless the Philipines is willing to wait until 1931/32, there will be no new aircraft on offer. That is the provisional date set for 2 competitions, fighter and reconnaisance floatplane. This is a conceptual sketch of the Fiat entrant;

Friday, December 9th 2005, 2:37pm

The Philippines should by now be familiar with the capabilities of the Marut fighter and Toofani scout-bomber, both of which have seen almost three months of combat use in the Philippines. Data can be found in the encyclopedia. New variants of both are expected to be developed once an analysis of revolutionary operations is completed.

OOC: Although torpedo-bombers don't really fit into my view of Urumi's mission, I had my doubts that the type could effectively operate off her short deck - what are other people's thoughts on this notion?

Friday, December 9th 2005, 2:52pm

Quoted

OOC: Although torpedo-bombers don't really fit into my view of Urumi's mission, I had my doubts that the type could effectively operate off her short deck - what are other people's thoughts on this notion?

I can't really see it being long enough myself. Until there is either considerably more powerful engines or catapults, it probably isn't going to happen.

Saturday, December 10th 2005, 2:18pm

Japan's M.A.N. Carrier Package...

(hope the pics work)
M.A.N. carrier package, M part
Mitsubishi B2M

Japan had the first flight of its Mitsubishi B2M last month. While Japan can offer the plane to its ally, there is some concern (after having received data from India) that such a type of plane might be a bit too big to be able to operate from the Sulu.

========================================

Mitsubishi B2M

http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/bww1/b2m-i.jpg

http://candamo.iespana.es/japon/aire/b2m.gif

Type: Carrier based torpedo/bomber/reconnaissance aircraft
Origin: Mitsubishi
Crew: Two
First Flight: 1929

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powerplant:
Model: Mitsubishi-built Hispano-Suiza 12-cylinder engine
Type: Vee-type
Number: One
Horsepower: 600 hp

Dimensions:
Wing Span: 49 ft. 11¼ in. (15.22m)
Length: 33 ft. 8¼ in. (10.27m)
Height: 12 ft. 2¼ in. (3.71m)

Weights:
Loaded: 7,937 lb. (3600 kg.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Performance:
Max. Speed: 132 mph (213 kph) at sea level
Service Ceiling: 14,765 ft. (4500m)
Range: 597 miles (960 km)

Armament:
One 7.7mm Type 88 machine guns fixed forward.
One 7.7mm Type 88 machine gun on flexible mount in rear position.

Payload:
One 1,764 lb. (800-kg) torpedo or equivalent weight of bombs.

M.A.N. carrier package, N part
Nakajima A2N

At the beginning of this year, the Nakajima firm had the first flight of its A2N. The plan is that this new fighter will replace all remaining Great War fighter aricrafts aboard the carriers and operate together with the Mitsubishi 1MF5. The advantage of this fighter is that it can be immediately produced in the factories of the Philippines own Nakajima Hikoki Kabushiki Gaisha Fuirippin (Nakajima Aircraft Company Philippines), formerly known as the Manila Aeroplane Factory.

Nakajima A2N

http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/fww1/a2n-i.jpg

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/airplane/museum/c…es3/TH013-5.jpg

Type: Carrier based fighter aircraft
Origin: Nakajima
Crew: One
First Flight: 1929

Powerplant:
Model: Nakajima-built Bristol Jupiter VI 9-cylinder engine
Type: Radial
Horsepower: 450 hp

Dimensions:
Wing Span: 30 ft. 9 in. (9.37m)
Length: 20 ft. 3 ¾ in. (6.18m)
Height: 9 ft. 11 in. (3.03m)

Weights:
Loaded: 3,307 lb. (1500 kg.)

Performance:
Max. Speed: 182 mph (293 kph) at 9,843 ft (3,000m).
Service Ceiling: 29,528 ft. (9000m)
Range: 270 miles (435 km)

Armament:
Two 7.7mm Type 88 machine guns fixed forward.

Payload:
Two 66 lb (30 kg) bombs beneath the lower wing.

M.A.N. carrier package, A part
Aichi D1A

Aichi is currently busy with designing a new Japanese precision bomber. There have been a few delays but it is expected that it will make its first flight in 1930. The main reason of the developent of this type of bomber is the mediocre bombing results of the Japanese carrier planes during the liberation of the Philippines. If all goes well, the Aichi D1A will replace the Breguet A-N-1.

Aichi D1A

http://www.aerotechnics.ru/images/i/all/d1a-1.jpg

http://www.aerotechnics.ru/images/i/all/d1a-3.jpg

Type: Carrier based dive bomber
Origin: Aichi
Crew: Two
First Flight: Expected 1930

Powerplant:
Model: Nakajima Kotobuki 2 Kai 1
Type: Radial
Horsepower: 560 hp

Dimensions:
Wing Span: 37 ft. 4½ in. (11.40m)
Length: 30 ft. 6 in. (9.30m)
Height: 11 ft. 2¼ in. (3.41m)
Wing Area: 373.52 sq. ft. (34.70m²)

Weights:
Empty: 3,342 lb. (1516 kg.)
Loaded: 5,754 lb. (2610 kg.)

Performance:
Max. Speed: 193 mph (310 kph) at 10,500 ft.
Cruise Speed: 137 mph (220 kph) at 3,280 ft.
Service Ceiling: 22,965 ft. (7000m)
Climb to 9,845 ft.: 7 minutes 50 second.
Range: 578 miles (930 km)

Armament:
Two 7.7mm Type 88 machine guns fixed forward.
One 7.7mm Type 88 machine gun on flexible mount in rear position.

Payload:
One 550 lb. (250-kg) and two 66 lb. (30 kg.) bombs.

Saturday, December 10th 2005, 2:39pm

Quoted

OOC: I haven't got got a clue what the cost per airframe would be, I can't find any references that say.

Well, I was looking around a bit and found this site (scroll down a bit for the planes). With the exchange at the top, you have the price varying from about 4,200 USD up to almost 110,000 USD, depending on what kind of plane you're looking at.
While those prices are for the 1930s, it still gives you some idea how much a plane costs.

Sunday, January 22nd 2006, 4:12am

The envelope, please

The Philippines thanks all those who submitted responses to our query.

We have selected the Nakajima A2N to serve as our new carrier-based fighter, and the Martin BM-1 for carrier scout/bomber and land-based torpedo-bomber roles.

Full details will be released shortly.
(ooc: in Q4 news)