You are not logged in.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 2:16am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
The secondary battery has the same firepower to either beam as Bismarck or Scharnhorst, so I'm not sure where the complaint comes from. Yes, the total number of guns is lower, but the layout is superior.

I disagree - your layout is inferior for the task projected and the number of guns insuficient.

If you expect several small craft to attack - most likely from several vectors - you need more than just two turrets, each of which has a lower ROF than a twin of similar caliber. You also have no reserve on the unengage side.

Those two triples may serve well if you´re engaging a single DD or CL while your heavy battery is busy elsewhere but against the threats you´ll most likely face in the Baltic and North Sea you need more barrels in more mounts (3x 10,5cm mounts per side don´t help much either as such a shell might lack the stopping power you´d probably need).

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 2:55am

Perhaps the Germans should send a techincal team to look over the new ships of their old Indian friends before resuming capital ship construction?

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 4:14am

They could, but it wouldn't help them with triples or transoms. The 15 cm is the largest thing to be found in a triple turret in this man's navy.

Though if you did want to work a news story around such a visit, Hrolf, we can do that.

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 7:44am

The downside to playing Germany is its difficult to strike your own path right off the bat.

Why would the Germans need to aproach any nation to get technical assistance?

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 12:17pm

Germany might be quietly talking to a few nations about their experience with triples in general, since up to this point twins are all we've done (historically, the K-class CLs had them, but here the Ersatz Arcona's don't). Quads, no, that's farther than we want to go (see, a little German conservatism pops up) right now.

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 2:52pm

Quoted

The 15 cm is the largest thing to be found in a triple turret in this man's navy.

Actually the 25 cm (Chandragupta). ;-)

Quoted

Why would the Germans need to aproach any nation to get technical assistance?

Because it's been, essentially, 15 years since they last constructed a Capital Ship.

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 10:53pm

The Germans have always been resourcefull, 15 years didn't stop them from designing the Deutschland class on a pitifull VT limit of 10,000 tons.

Sunday, October 30th 2005, 11:46pm

But the Deuschlands were about 50% over that limit.

Monday, October 31st 2005, 12:12am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
But the Deuschlands were about 50% over that limit.

Thats correct and understandably I can see why they cheated a bit but with Germany in the CT that limit is removed, so a 17,000 ton design has a teeny weeny bit more room to grow......

Monday, October 31st 2005, 12:26am

Well, once Germany is in the CT, that is. It's not officially happened yet, that I know of.......

Monday, October 31st 2005, 12:41am

I think its practically a given, the only hagling point is her aggregate tonnage allotments.