You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, October 10th 2005, 5:13am

You know it's gonna be a bad movie when...

...you plop down on the couch thirty minutes into the film, and the first question you ask isn't,

"So who's the good guy?",

or,

"Hey, who's the hottie?",

but rather,

"So...it's a satanic tornado?"

The movie in question is called "Tornado: Nature Unleashed", which is quaint because:

A) They could've used the snappier sounding "meta tempesta" that the storm is referred to as in the flick.

B) I don't associate nature with satanic tornados.

Anyway, the movie stars some unknowns as an American TV crew trying to save the gypsies of Romania from an F6 tornado (I know, the scale ends at F5) conjured by a bunch of chanting guys in red robes. Shockingly, the only politician to appear in the movie proves to be the main baddie.

I heartily discourage y'all from renting it. Ask me about "Alone in the Dark" sometime.

Monday, October 10th 2005, 6:36am

They have movies like that on the SciFi channel here in the States every weekend. You name it, they've made a cheesy movie about it! I'm certain they've had that one on recently since the title and theme sound very familiar.

Monday, October 10th 2005, 6:46am

Yes, I tend to avoid movies that would seem to fit the catagory of Sci-Fi Channel Weekend Film. I remember when that channel was actually very good to watch on most days of the week, even weekends. Now its like theme crap film of the week theater...just without the antics of Crow and Tom Servo.

Monday, October 10th 2005, 9:44pm

I think the worst film I've ever partialy watched is Beastmaster 2. I think I managed 5mins or so of side-splitting laughter at the woeful display of acting and storytelling, not to mention the fact that it was awfully dubbed.

How do you get a Tornado in Romania?

Monday, October 10th 2005, 10:08pm

Simple.
Get your local mad scientist (In WW Japan's case it's Professor Tomoe) to build a weather machine.
:-)

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 12:23am

Geez...and I thought Night of the Twisters was bad...

BTW, there actually is an "F6" Fujita rating.
http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm

Quoted

F6 | Inconceivable tornado 319-379 mph | These winds are very unlikely. The small area of damage they might produce would probably not be recognizable along with the mess produced by F4 and F5 wind that would surround the F6 winds. Missiles, such as cars and refrigerators would do serious secondary damage that could not be directly identified as F6 damage. If this level is ever achieved, evidence for it might only be found in some manner of ground swirl pattern, for it may never be identifiable through engineering studies.

What people forget about the Fujita scale is that it is a damage scale, not a winds scale. The wind ratings are the estimates of what's necessary to cause the damage; a 300-mph tornado that hits only a wheat field would be a F0.

(More than you wanted to know, I'm sure... ;-) )

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 2:09am

I just thought "twister" was bad....good speacial effects, but horrible in the realism department. Tons of debris flying through more than half the movie and only 2 dead one injured. Funny how a flying hubcap only gave the guy a cut on his forehead.

Meanwhile the two main charactors are running (LMAO) from a tornado with picket fence boards threatening them with the prospect of impailment only to run into a barn with sharp farming tools only a grim reaper would love.

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 3:40pm

Quoted

How do you get a Tornado in Romania?

The American journalists were wondering the same thing. Then they learned about the guys in red robes conducting blood rituals and had their answer.

There was the same issue with non-destructive flying debris in this one, too.

You know, as a bonus nit-pick, it was yet another case where the hero is only interested in the natural sciences because he's lost a loved one to that natural event (conveniently shown at the start of the flick as a flash-back). In this case, the hero's dad got picked off by a satanic tornado as well (so I gather; I was off doing farm chores at the time). If life were like that, I'm sure I'd have lost a loved one to a tragic economic geology accident at some point...