You are not logged in.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 7:50am

News from Atlantis, october

*news to be posted month by month to reacte to the ongoing saga in the Pacific!*

Oct. 3

Coup in the the Philippines!

Details are vague but it apears that the Philippino Presedente, Juan Sebastien de Varga has been assassinated on his Inauguration day! Atlantian diplomats in the country along with other nations dignatory's have not been heard from. Its unclear what fate has befallen them.

Oct. 5

Details in the situation in the Philippines are dificult to asertain but what is known is that the Philippino Presedente, Juan Sebastien de Varga, is dead and his would-be assassin, Generale Greco, is in control of much of the northern region proclaimed "the Democratic Oriental Republic of the Philippines".

Presedent Varga's successor, Almirante de la Vega has taken control of the remanants of the democratic government of the Philippines and the loyalists fight to secure their existance. Reports also indicate action between an aparent rouge Philippino cruiser and an Indian moniter at Al Luhayyah, Asir.

Diplomats from various nations have been safely evacuated from the philippines and are en route to Shanghai.

Oct. 8

Exactly two weeks before the plebisite vote in Byzantium the mood is optimistic. Polls indicate a narrow preferance for independance from Turkey allthough a strong percentage would like to remain part of Turkey. Sentiment in reguards to Atlantean presence in Byzantium is also mixed. Should the vote support independance a provisional government will be selected and a draft constitution will be created. After one full year Byzantium will have its first independant election providing their are no delays in the process.

Oct. 16

Reports indicate actions by the Indians have led to the Philippino cruiser Panay's capture, south of the maldives. Seventy seven Indian sailors were killed in the action dubbed "the battle of Addu Atoll" in addition to the initial action at Asir.

Oct. 17

Japan has entered the list of nations allied against "the Democratic Oriental Republic of the Philippines" after it deemed the defacto government an outside power. The legality if this move will no doubt be the subject of dispute as its hard to label Philippinio's in their own country an outside threat. Notably absent is the League of Nations in this matter which has led to some debate in the conservative government as to the prudence of such a powerless world body.

Oct. 22

Today is quite possibly a defining moment in Byzantium as voters voice their opinion on the posibility of independance.

Oct.24
After several days of counting ballots, the Byzantium plebisite vote seems to indecate a narrow vote for independance, however several recounts have been requested in several districts to insure accuracy. There has been no significant acts of violence dispite the plebisite being close to the Turkish national holiday, Republic Day, on the 29th October.

The lack of violence can be atributed to the stong presence of the Varangian Guard, a self defence force set up by Atlantis largely made up of Byzantian locals.
The brigade strength force has been used in a police role in order to prevent violence and is being backed by an additional brigade of Atlantean troops.

Its expected that the vote results will be anounced at the begining of November.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 8:52am

Good idea on the monthly news, I think I shall do likewise. With the election coming up in November, it will add a bit of drama as well as allowing the US to respond to events in the Philippines as well in a timely manner.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 11:26am

Quoted

The legality if this move will no doubt be the subject of dispute as its hard to label Philippinio's in their own country an outside threat.

I have been thinking long and hard on that point whether or not I should include it and in the end I decided to take that approach. Questionable decision? I think so but that makes it more interesting.
:-)
On the other hand, labelling those traitors as an outside threat would mean that they can get away with it with life imprisonment should they be captured alive. Should they be determined to be an inside threat, then it is almost certain to be execution should they be captured alive.

Quoted

Notably absent is the League of Nations in this matter which has led to some debate in the conservative government as to the prudence of such a powerless world body.

No one controls it so it is only natural that they are absent. If action should be undertaken, one of the players should make the call (like the conflict between Argentinia and Nordmark and later the conflict between the Philippines and Chile. If I am not mistaken, it was I who made the call in both cases...)

So I guess I will call for it again then...

October 18, 1928
Upon hearing the concerns from Atlantis, Japan has made the decision that, despite having declared war on "the Democratic Oriental Republic of the Philippines", it is still not too late to solve all this diplomatically. It has called upon the League of Nations to get off their lazy a$$e$ and to take action immediately and call upon both warring sides to solve this in a peaceful manner in the building of the League of Nations in Geneva. In the mean time, Japan will mobilize its forces, but will not take any further actions until the matter has been dealt with by the League of Nations.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 4:19pm

Filipino reactions to possible League of Nations actions:

Loyalists: "We'll believe it when we see it..."

Revolutionaries: "We don't need no steenkin' League of Nations!"

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 4:32pm

Oh dear! I guess we shouls try to "convince" them a bit...
:-)

Friday, November 4th 2005, 10:19am

November 2nd, 1929
Tekirdag, Byzantium

The official results of the plebisite reguarding Byzantium have been anounced. Byzantium has gained independance as a result of a narrow 53% vote in favor of independance. As a result of the close vote Atlantis will remain in the region for some time in order to counter foriegn intervention in Byzantian affairs. The next step in reguards to full independance is the negotiation of the final borders of Byzantium, Bulgaria and Turkey.

December 11th, 1929

As the war in the Philipines rages on the general population of Atlantis seem indiferent towards the war which has now draged India into the fray. Most seem leary of the SATSUMA powers for various reasons. For those of the Muslim faith come the harshest, distrustfull words. "Its nothing more than a conspiracy by Japanese and Indian imperialists to force their will on Muslims in the region and in India, they are no better than the Europeans!!!" claimed a man from Mauritainia. Another man, a Lyrian claimed that it seemed like SATSUMA cannot achieve its goal of uniting Asia and delivering it from European oppression and exploitation. "If they can't keep from fighting each other what can they do for the rest of asia? At any rate they are not hostile to us or our allies so it dosn't impact me but it is still rather sad".

Most Atlantian politicians on the otherhand seemed simpathetic to the war. One stated that it was imperative that the SATSUMA alliance put down this attempted coup to set an example to other anarchists that Democracy is the only way to achieve meaningfull political goals. "If we let anarchists and rougue generals run loose imposing their will on others it will not be long before we have another great war, this time with many smaller nations that have formed under nationalistic or worse racial political platforms."

Friday, November 4th 2005, 12:51pm

Quoted

it was imperative that the SATSUMA alliance put down this attempted coup to set an example to other anarchists that Democracy is the only way to achieve meaningfull political goals

If Atlantis says so. Bear in mind that India's an absolute monarchy and Japan is...what, a feudal dictatorship?

Quoted

If they can't keep from fighting each other what can they do for the rest of asia?

No argument there...hence the need to smash the revolutionaries quickly and re-establish the legitimate government (and perhaps give it some "guidance" to ensure it continues to behave as such).

Friday, November 4th 2005, 7:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
If Atlantis says so. Bear in mind that India's an absolute monarchy and Japan is...what, a feudal dictatorship?

IIRC the Philippines was a democracy before all hell broke loose, the fact the Japan and India are fighting alongside to protect it means they must have some hope invested in democracy, otherwise they would likely push for a more favorable style govt to take over.

There was also a little asumption on my part that India and Japan were democracy's but i couldn't completely egnore SATSUMA with a war going on in the western Pacific.

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
No argument there...hence the need to smash the revolutionaries quickly and re-establish the legitimate government (and perhaps give it some "guidance" to ensure it continues to behave as such).

keep in mind this is coming from a clueless civilians point of view, notice the politicians have a (slightly) better veiw on the subject...

Saturday, November 5th 2005, 4:05am

The Raj thinks democracy is a quaint and ineffective form of government, which is why democracy in India extends only to the civic level and not higher.

His interest in intervening in the Philippines is pragmatic; keep an ally from becoming a rival, and demonstrate how India will react to the overthrow of an allied government.

The clueless civilian aspect is entirely understood and appreciated. India will begin a mass-mailing campaign in Atlantean Africa shortly.

Saturday, November 5th 2005, 6:27am

Quoted

India will begin a mass-mailing campaign in Atlantean Africa shortly.

lol...don't give the Philippinos any idea's!!

I though using current muslim conspiracy theory would add some realism to the story.

Saturday, November 5th 2005, 6:27pm

Quoted

Not sure how to call it myself. ^_^;;

Sunday, November 6th 2005, 12:38am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Quoted

Not sure how to call it myself. ^_^;;

Anime induced anarchy?