You are not logged in.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 2:45am

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
How would Atlantis have reacted in India's position?

Tough to say, I'm not sure I'd fire warning shots at an allie so quickly as that seems to be where things escalated quickly but as I said the situation was quite confusing. I'd likely shadow the Panay(or in my case the FAR allie equivilant) if possible.

Quoted

Could somebody explain how American or Chilean interests are being threatened? I'm confused on that point.

Not sure how Chilean interests are threatened, all though the miss-trust between the two seems to grow as a result of the Philippines apparent civil war allong with firing on its own allies.

The Americans on the other hand should have great interest, liberating the Philippines from Iberian control and granting them independance. They may see this as another nation attempting to subjigate the Philippino's, dispite the fact that a military coup has deposed a democraticaly elected govt, one with quite abit of controversy no less.

Evidently the Philippino civil war now has involved the Indians and the Japanese, while the South Africans have taken steps to allow Indian forces to shift their focus towards the Philippino coup forces.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 5:23am

Canis: fair enough. Ithekro seems to have anxiety attacks every time the SATSUMA signatories start to do things, so I figured that the prince's speech would get his shorts in a knot. I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

If queried, the Indian ambassador would certainly assure his American counterparts that he sees no reason for SATSUMA to get involved in the Americas, and sees no reason that American interests are compromised by Indo-Japanese efforts to return the legitimate government to power as quickly as possible.

Quoted

Tough to say, I'm not sure I'd fire warning shots at an allie so quickly as that seems to be where things escalated quickly but as I said the situation was quite confusing. I'd likely shadow the Panay(or in my case the FAR allie equivilant) if possible.

And then?

Quoted

Evidently the Philippino civil war now has involved the Indians and the Japanese, while the South Africans have taken steps to allow Indian forces to shift their focus towards the Philippino coup forces.

Well, Presidente de la Vega did ask for Indian and Japanese assistance. Note that the South Africans have not responded to Brashkar's speech, so they've not necessarily agreed to anything.

As a side-note: Prince Brashkar is second in line to the throne, but his elder brother Shrinivas is off on a minesweeper somewhere - so can't be acting as regent when the Raj gets sick.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 5:56am

Quoted

Quoted

And then?

Well given the sequence of events firing even a warning shot at an allied warship would seem to be abit provocative, could the Indian officers have been so sure the Philippino's were muntineers?

Perhaps the Philippino's could have reacted the same way if they assumed that in fact the Indian vessel was in a state of mutiny and attempting to extend its influence to another warship, namely the Panay and as such act against a boarding party.

Keep in mind Atlantis and other nations wouldn't be privy to the specifics, only that an Indian warship fired (first, albeit a warning shot) on a vessel belonging to a nation already under turmoil via Civil war.

Quoted

Quoted

Well, Presidente de la Vega did ask for Indian and Japanese assistance. Note that the South Africans have not responded to Brashkar's speech, so they've not necessarily agreed to anything.

As a side-note: Prince Brashkar is second in line to the throne, but his elder brother Shrinivas is off on a minesweeper somewhere - so can't be acting as regent when the Raj gets sick.

Again to the rest of the world it would seem that India and Japan are attacking a nation already in dire straights, keep in mind the animosity between the Brits and French over the actions at Oran.

It would seem that the League of nations is even more inept than historical allthough I must admit I wouldn't know thier standard protocall for dealing with the situation.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 7:12am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin

It would seem that the League of nations is even more inept than historical allthough I must admit I wouldn't know thier standard protocall for dealing with the situation.

Probably the same as the UN nowadays. Without a strong leadership with the power to back it up, a lot of vauge and equivical statements and resolutions that are mostly ignored by the press and public. o.o

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 7:50am

Fear Factor

India may be blinded by politics, but Chile can see the eyes of conquerors in those of the Japanese and the eye of one who would like to be a conqueror in the hearts of the Filipinos. It may not be today, it might not be tomorrow, but one day their eyes will look across the ocean, and the desire for conquest will be inflamed.

(Actually Swamphen and Walter have built up enough innuendo to suggest expansionistic goals for SATSUMA apart from India. Not direct mention of such goals, just suggestive language, and plots within plots.)

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 2:28pm

Quoted

Chile can see the eyes of conquerors in those of the Japanese and the eye of one who would like to be a conqueror in the hearts of the Filipinos.

Japan would like to point out that if we truly had the eyes of conquerors, we would have made the Pacific Islands, which were part of the Japanese Pacific Mandate, a permanent part of the Empire and not let it go and make it independent.

Quoted

Actually Swamphen and Walter have built up enough innuendo to suggest expansionistic goals for SATSUMA apart from India.

I was on holiday in Canada when I wrote that speech. I wasn't too happy with it due to its aggressiveness, but posted it anyway.
:-)

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 4:26pm

Wes, what the Indians knew was:

-There was some kind of bloodshed aboard Panay
-Panay ignored a variety of signals from Chandragupta
-Panay went to action stations and got under way
-Panay's crew gunned down the men in Chandragupta's pinnace.

Then the warning shot was fired. Personally, I find it very unlikely that any warship would not fire a warning shot after this sequence of events...

...and rest assured that the Indian news reports will be phrased in such a way as to reflect well on Chandragupta.

Quoted

Again to the rest of the world it would seem that India and Japan are attacking a nation already in dire straights, keep in mind the animosity between the Brits and French over the actions at Oran.

Huh? Japan and India aren't talking about shelling the loyalist fleet in harbour. They're talking about helping the loyalists subdue a rebellious faction. If you want to make a comparison, I think comparing it to the FAR actions against bandits in South America would be more accurate.

Quoted

India may be blinded by politics, but Chile can see the eyes of conquerors in those of the Japanese and the eye of one who would like to be a conqueror in the hearts of the Filipinos.

Perhaps. Or perhaps India is aware of these possibilities, and sees SATSUMA as a venue in which to deliver them from temptation.

Guys, this would be more fun if it was "in-character".

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 4:27pm

Quoted

Not direct mention of such goals, just suggestive language, and plots within plots.

Parodies within parodies, satires within satires...

*ahem*
You talkin' to me?
:-)

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 4:43pm

Quoted

Then the warning shot was fired. Personally, I find it very unlikely that any warship would not fire a warning shot after this sequence of events...

(Trying to keep it a bit IC) Japan believes that after all those actions, direct fire at the Panay might have been the better option for the Indians. Shoot first, ask questions later, especially after what happened with points 3 and 4. We all know what the result was after the engagement.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 7:25pm

(Well my top bit was in character, the bottom was to show more where the top bit came from.)

As for the rest:

Through recent events, the Chilean Government has lost trust in the motives of the Filipino Goverments, and though it respects Japan's Government, Chile will not forget the Empire's roots nor its warrior spirit. With all that has happened the last three years in the Pacific Ocean, Chile will remain wary and suspect of SATSUMA moves. Should enough time pass without such unstable events nor activities that hint at expansion of influence into the Western Hemisphere, then Chile's fears will prove to be unfounded, and relations may return to normal.

Sunday, September 25th 2005, 11:42pm

Quoted

Wes, what the Indians knew was:

-There was some kind of bloodshed aboard Panay
-Panay ignored a variety of signals from Chandragupta
-Panay went to action stations and got under way
-Panay's crew gunned down the men in Chandragupta's pinnace.

...and rest assured that the Indian news reports will be phrased in such a way as to reflect well on Chandragupta.

I totally agree on the first three points but wouldn't boarding the Philippino ship while its moving seem kind of risky? That is the point where things turned sour. Afterwords the warning shots were fired, and fire returned.

Quoted

Quoted

Huh? Japan and India aren't talking about shelling the loyalist fleet in harbour. They're talking about helping the loyalists subdue a rebellious faction. If you want to make a comparison, I think comparing it to the FAR actions against bandits in South America would be more accurate.

The bandits in South America were not French, my referance to Oran was directed more at the fact that the Brits fired on the French thus the animosity after the fact.

Quoted

Quoted

India may be blinded by politics, but Chile can see the eyes of conquerors in those of the Japanese and the eye of one who would like to be a conqueror in the hearts of the Filipinos.

Perhaps. Or perhaps India is aware of these possibilities, and sees SATSUMA as a venue in which to deliver them from temptation.

Fair enough, but somehow I doubt that Chile is the only nation who's taken notice of the rather provocative speachs that have come from the Pacific rim and the number of conflicts that have occured there.

Quoted

Guys, this would be more fun if it was "in-character".

I've already made some referance to this in charactor, given the level of interest Atlantis has in the region you likely won't hear much more, IC that is. News is being posted on a monthly basis to reflect and reactionary news that may occur if things deteriorate further.

Don't get me wrong, this has all been quite interesting.