You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, July 29th 2005, 10:06am

RSAN Ophion

Some of you may have already noted that the drawing of OPHION was going through several stages in the Capital Ship folder of my part of the encyclopedia.

So here´s the final result:

To me she looks somewhat different than previous designs of mine. Here I wanted a ship that - while powerful - looks somehow gracile, elegant and, well, feminine to some degree. Compared to her "old" MOCAMBIQUE for example really looks kind of bulky, clumsy.

Hope you guys like her....

Friday, July 29th 2005, 2:24pm

So you did extend the deck forward to "B" turret in the end. Good choice.

The AA guns adjacent to the foremost secondary gun are kind of close, aren't they? Might be an issue with blast effects?

Nice work; the top view for some reason reminds me of the early British dreadnoughts and their wing turrets.

Friday, July 29th 2005, 2:36pm

I wouldn't have the gap in the superstructure, but otherwise she looks great.

Friday, July 29th 2005, 2:55pm

The catapults look rather vulnerable to blast from the secondaries. One might want to consider a fixed cross deck catapult instead.

Friday, July 29th 2005, 6:49pm

Graceful, elegant, feminine? I'm not sure of that really. Graceful, yes but I can't see the others. She does look rather beautiful but maybe slightly too tall forwards. Are there enough directors for the 150mm guns? I can only see 2+the turret mounted ones. The funnels should be slightly fatter for the power. Is the belt 4m deep?

HoOmAn

Friday, July 29th 2005, 7:11pm

Thanks for your input...

Thank you all for your input....

Rocky: There shouldn´t be a problem with blast effects - or at least not more of a problem than one could expect on a battleship. I think the secondaries will not influence those AA guns too much. If I find the time to do so I´ll post a picture with turrets trained to the side to get a picture of what this would look like.

Canis: No cross-deck catapults yet. The RSAN has developed a reliable, albeit heavy catapult for a turntable. This also allows to "fire" the planes to a more forward sector making it easier to use the ships speed to their advantage.

RA: There are four directors that are normally used for AAA but can be used for secondaries as well. Two on her forward structure and two on her hangar deck. That should do. I absolutely disagree on the funnels. Regarding the belt - now that you mention it I better check it again but I think the drawing is correct.

Friday, July 29th 2005, 8:20pm

Quoted

Here I wanted a ship that - while powerful - looks somehow gracile, elegant and, well, feminine to some degree.

Well she is a beauty alright. :-)
Nice "commercial" you put up on the Navweaps/Warships1 design board.

Friday, July 29th 2005, 10:20pm

Beautiful.

Intresting mount of secondaries in superfirning mounts behind the main turrets.

She could be the Italian sister in the King George V class

HoOmAn

Monday, August 1st 2005, 4:00pm

So you really think she looks Italian somehow? Why?