You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 6:40pm

Here's a question: the map (both large and small versions) shows the "neck" of Poland being quite small as it reaches the Baltic, surrounded on both sides by Germany. Gdansk/Danzig is within this neck, but the neck doesn't extend very far west past the base of the Hel peninsula. However, Marek's infrastructure is showing several construction facilities in Kozcalin, which is well to the west of what's show on the large and small versions of the map. SOMETHING's not right, but which is the problem, I don't know.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 6:56pm

Using an old Eurpean map I have...

(well... more than one)
Looks like the map might be the problem. It's a modern one and the borders have been altered (by hand) to fit the 1919-1939 situation. The Danzig corridor is too small. The eastern border of (main) Germany is too far east and the western border of Eastern Prussia too far west (hell the way I see it, that border virtually runs through Danzig rather than along it!!!)
Should be noted that the northern part of the German-Poland border in 1919 (which is what is on the map) differs from the 1939 one. If I 'read' the 1919-1939 maps correctly (they're in german), Danzig became a free state in 1920 and the northern part of the border shifted west a bit. In that part it says "1920 zu Polen" which would mean "1920 to Poland". Can't be sure about that. Perhaps Hooman knows more about that.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 7:36pm

That was one problem with the map I used as the basis, it was a modern map published by the CIA on their website, so Europe especially required some freehand drawing of borders. I can correct them, just point me towards a proper map to use as a reference.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 7:53pm

Hope this works...

Something like this?

Note that on our map the main Germany/Poland border is almost at the Peninsula and the Prussia border on our map cuts the free city of Danzig in two.
... at least how I see it.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 8:37pm

OK, I'll try and get to it tomorrow.

Monday, November 28th 2005, 11:10pm

Of course, (it would appear that) the Danzig Free City doesn't exsist in WesWorld.

(Well, of course Danzig exsists; just not as a Free City. ;-) )

Also, what of the Saarland?
(If it's on a river I say have the vote make it independent. XD )

Tuesday, November 29th 2005, 4:12pm

Is Singapore British or Dutch?

Tuesday, November 29th 2005, 4:21pm

British. Its underneath the star.

Færoes and Shetlands? Nordmark-Denmark or Nordmark-Britain?

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:33pm

Tweak time, again...

This time in Penguinistan, per the recent Filipino-Australian agreement:

Article 7
The Dominion of Australia agrees to recognise the claim of the Republic of the Philippines to the Continent of Antarctica, the claim defined as being between 105° East and 150° East.

Article 8
The Republic of the Philippines agrees to recognise the claim of the Dominion of Australia to the Continent of Antarctica between 65° East and 105° East.

Yes, I noticed that the Wizards of Oz have staked out a nice chunk of the SAE's claim. Not My Problem. XD

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:44pm

Brazil is now a PC country. Use whatever color you see fit.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 8:12pm

I'll see what I can do...give me a couple days and I should have it all updated.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 1:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
I'll see what I can do...give me a couple days and I should have it all updated.

If You can please change the colour of poland yugoslavia and romania too.
Countrys that im playing.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 8:58pm

OK. Many more players and I'll be having to invent some new colors!

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 9:54pm

Call me slow but I only now realized that unlike in real life(1918-1939) Romania and Poland dont have a common border.Thats change for me a few thing... :(

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 10:14pm

Let me double check the map before you change anything. Its based on a modern map that I hand modified to try and have the post WW1 borders, so it may not be entirely accurate, especially in Eastern Europe.

I've got some questions about the eastern border of Poland. Apparently it moved east after the war with the Soviets around 1920. Since that hasn't happened in Wesworld, its going to need some adjustments.

The Podlesia Volynia area and East Galicia are the main areas of concern along with the area around Vilnius. I also need to adjust the Romanian border since its goes further into the Ukraine than is currently shown.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 10:32pm

I was going to say "be glad the map doesn't change every year like in Navalism" but it seems we still have minor details to work out and of course the occasional threat of war.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 10:38pm

I heard that!

(I think the N-verse map may be just about "correct" by now.)

Wars, "purchases" and other forms of territorial acquisitions do indeed give us cartographers fits. ^_^

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 10:41pm

Eastern Europe

As for the Polish border, I assume this would have something to do with the Treaty of Riga...or possibly the lack of said treaty. Since Russia did not fall to Communism it is possible that that little war didn't happen, and thus Poland would be smaller than historical (no expansion eastward in 1919). But that should be worked out between Poland and Russia/France, and perhaps give us more insite as to what happened in the Wesworld Great War, as this area of the world had a lot of fighting with the Russians, Germans, and Nords.

Eastern Europe is difficult because some things that happened in our history that shaped that region didn't happen in Wesworld.

Tuesday, February 28th 2006, 8:33pm

Latest updates: Falklands now UK, tweaked German-Polish border, tweaked Romanian-Russian border, guesstimated Russian-Polish border, changed colors for new PC's.

As far as the Polish-Russian border goes, Marek and AKl will need to figure it out. I know Marek was wanting a connection with Romania so I put a narrow strip in. If AK objects we could always cut off the eastern tip of Czechoslovakia and put a connection there.

"Small" Map

BIG Map

Tuesday, February 28th 2006, 8:58pm

If there's no historical reason for a connection, there shouldn't be one.