You are not logged in.

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 4:18am

Travel plans

Between 2 July and12 July my wife and I will be conducting a naval intelligence assessment of the fleets and facilities of Stockholm and London. The sensitive nature of this mission requires that no computers will accompany us on this mission.

No invading France or Russia while I'm gone!

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 5:30am

Tet, 1928

Well, better call off that invasion of Indo-China set on the local new years.

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 6:09am

Be sure to come back with good intel Stuart....

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 9:11am

Good luck! Hopefully your wife won´t be annoyed... ;o) Make sure she has enough money and time for shopping while you visit naval sites.

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 11:18am

London; The Imperia War Museum, Science Museum, Natural History Museum and HMS Belfast are all worth a visit. A bit further north, 1-2hours is RAF Duxford. The IWM is great, I'm fairly sure its free as well.

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 11:56pm

It's years since I was there, and hopefully it still is, but RAF Hendon is worth a visit!

Enjoy the trip!

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 6:14pm

Quoted

The IWM is great, I'm fairly sure its free as well.

Last time I was there (2003), it was free.

Quoted

It's years since I was there, and hopefully it still is, but RAF Hendon is worth a visit!

Last time I was there it was closed because they were busy reorganizing (I think). I'm fairly sure it is open now, but you should check out the internet first to be sure.

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 6:22pm

I didn't get that far south last time I was in the British Isles. (July 2001) In fact we only were in England itself for a day, the rest of the two weeks I was touring in Scotland. Scapa Flow seems like such a depressing place, even in summer. About the most difficult thing we had to do there is figure out how to sleep when the sun doesn't set until 11pm and rises somewhere around 4 in the morning.

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 6:29pm

I think I read somewhere that you can dive to a few of those german ships down there...

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 8:01pm

Some of the ships I believe, others like Royal Oak are war graves.

What do you expect about Scapa Flow? Its in the middle of nowhere. Then again I think they have bigger fields in the mid-west :) How to sleep? It comes fairly naturally really, just completely ignore the light. It's usually light when I go to bed and light when I get up. You get used to it.

Saturday, July 2nd 2005, 11:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
Scapa Flow seems like such a depressing place, even in summer. About the most difficult thing we had to do there is figure out how to sleep when the sun doesn't set until 11pm and rises somewhere around 4 in the morning.

About the same way I'm about to. On a good day, one can see from where I live to Wick, which is over half-way to Scapa. If there was a big enough mountain on Orkney, that wouldn't pose any trouble to see - its' no further than Kyle of Lochalsh, and we can see the hills around there easily.

I reckon its just you guys from more equatorial climates that have a problem with Scottish weather, scenery and hours.

RLBH

Sunday, July 3rd 2005, 8:10pm

Just the hours mostly. The weather was fine.