You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 7:18pm

Multiple ships building on slip?

Did we ever agree that multiple ships could build on slip so long as combinded length didn't exceed the slips length?

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 7:19pm

Don't know if we did, but it makes sense, and it's historically correct!!!

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 7:31pm

We did have a discussion about it, but I don't think we had a final agreement on that point.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 7:46pm

Perhaps a limit on what ships can be build tandemly on a slip? I would think "unlimited" type ships would be the prime example.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 8:12pm

Historically some of the Italian exploratori were built in this manner...

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 11:09pm

I assume the same would count for the Dry docks. Remember the famous Pearl Harbor picture of the USS Pennsylvania together with the destroyers Cassin and Downes in the drydock?

(hope the pic works; try here if it does not work)

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:00am

Of course there is the inverse of this as well. Building one ship in two slips and then putting them together at the end.

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:04am

... or side by side like the RA's catamaran carrier...
... wait a sec... that could be build just on the one slip...

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:34am

Quoted

Of course there is the inverse of this as well. Building one ship in two slips and then putting them together at the end.

Exhibit A, Dunkerque.

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Perhaps a limit on what ships can be build tandemly on a slip? I would think "unlimited" type ships would be the prime example.

I'd go as far as to say any thing from a DD down, I have photos somewhere showing 6 subs in the same drydock, so 2 or so DD per slip (if big enough, that is!) should be ok.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 8:49am

Don´t mix a dock with a slip. We all know photos of several ships being "stored" in a single doch. However, slips are different.

A slip means a construction allowing the hull to run down into her element - either stern first or broadside first (the latter often being used for submarines and smaller vessels). Therefore you need a fixed track etc.

A slip is not just an empty place you can split up easily.

However, if you all agree that WesWorld is different, fine with me. :o)

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 10:04am

There where no examples of ships being launched via flooding the drydock they were being built in? Why wouldn't DD's and smaller be able to be launched in this mannor?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 11:44am

Again: don´t mix drydocks with slips....

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:36pm

Quoted

There where no examples of ships being launched via flooding the drydock they were being built in?

Nagato and Yamato come to mind, both built in drydocks. Musashi was built on a slip. The Japanese studied the launch of the Queen Mary to work out how to get 30,000tons to slide into the water.

Cheers,

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 1:54pm

Dunkerque was built in drydock and 'flooded out'...a too-short drydock, at that! The stem was constructed seperatly and attached after launching.

The exploratori Campania and Basilicata were constructed on a single slip, at the same time (both keellaying and launch dates are identical).

So it can be done.

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 5:15pm

I assume that one could set up side by side (or end to end for broadside launches) in the same slip if there is enough space. Though I'd assume it would take longer to get the slip ready again if one wanted to use the slip for something larger. Having three ships side to side would be difficult since you have to be able to get to the ship with cranes and crews. And having them like the Pearl Harbor shot wouldn't work for construction (repair yes, but you don't use slips for repairs.) Some nations just don't use slips, they use docks for everything.

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 5:20pm

Quoted

Don´t mix a dock with a slip. We all know photos of several ships being "stored" in a single doch. However, slips are different.

My mistake on being unclear on that point. I was more thinking about maintenace, refits minor repairs to the hull and stuff like that with the dock. Constructing several ships in one dock would be different though.

Quoted

A slip means a construction allowing the hull to run down into her element - either stern first or broadside first (the latter often being used for submarines and smaller vessels). Therefore you need a fixed track etc.

It's not like one would launch two ships at the same time from one slip. Tha's asking for trouble... although the Filipinos might do it, just to make the launch more spectacular.
:-)

Quoted

Dunkerque was built in drydock and 'flooded out'...a too-short drydock, at that! The stem was constructed seperatly and attached after launching.

No wonder it is such a horrible looking ship. :-)

Quoted

The exploratori Campania and Basilicata were constructed on a single slip, at the same time (both keellaying and launch dates are identical).

Any data on how it was done? How much time there was between the two launches? As I mentioned before, it is unlikely that two ships on one slip are launched at the same time.

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 6:10pm

I knew this photo had to be somewhere...

So, as you can see, the nine Audaz class destroyers (1000 tonners) being built in the slips n.1 and n.2 of the Ferrol naval base, of course, they were not launched at the same time, but one by one.

I´m not really sure if these were the old slips where the Baleares class cruisers were built or the new ones that were built for the new naval plan of the 40s...

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 6:45pm

Quoted

Quoted

No wonder it is such a horrible looking ship. :-)

This coming from pagoda land! Are you nuts? Shes beautifull!

Thursday, June 23rd 2005, 6:47pm

Several large container ships and I think some passenger lines are build in multiple slips because they are too long for the native slips. I don't remember where, but I saw one get fused together...I think it was either Russian or Spanish, and within the last year.

Floating docks could be used for this. In this day rivets were used....wouldn't the ship have to be rolled to get them lined up correctly?