You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 8th 2005, 12:06am

Aircraft Rules

What are the rules on Aircraft?

How much does it cost to develope/build/buy/etc?

Wednesday, June 8th 2005, 1:07am

No rules, just right

Basically, if it's a historical type you can order it, or you can sim it in Planebuilder and you can build however many you want.

(Within reason - 200 squadrons of Bell Airacudas might be a tad hard to justify. ^_^ )

Wednesday, June 8th 2005, 1:45am

Thanks

"goes of to build 200 squadrons of Bell Airacudas"

Monday, July 10th 2006, 9:37pm

Where can I find planebuilder? I need to start replacing Canada's various airplanes, which I think are all WWI relics at this point.... plus whatever came with Hermes when the RN transferred her.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 9:53pm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages…lanebuilder.zip

But easier to use historical aircraft designs.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:27pm

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't start making anything other than trainers and whatever GB is building well into the 50s. :\

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:40pm

Well, you can always 'borrow' Japanese designs. :-)

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:46pm

Well I have a similar problem after 1935 poland or romania or yugoslavia didnt build anyting worght of notice.
So I guess i will buy planes from other countries.

But the historicly accuret jet engine program will remain.

Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:58pm

At least you have something to use, unlike Wes who has to 'create' everything from scratch for Atlantis.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 2:01am

I guess we're about 3-4 years ahead of "real world" time-lines as far as development goes. I've been keeping most US aircraft pretty close to their actual introduction dates, mainly since the US was traditionally pretty behind the times and also since we weren't in the war and haven't had as much exposure to other designs until recently. I've been scanning the Air Force museum's online archives and they have some interesting prototype designs that may eventually see service, or I may just go with historical designs and just bump them up a couple of years.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 4:17am

Given Canada's greater independance than historical, as well as a NARC treaty, I'd think they'd be developing their own aircraft, as well as the occasional opportunistic UK and US designs.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 6:32am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
At least you have something to use, unlike Wes who has to 'create' everything from scratch for Atlantis.

I just copy existing designs shamelessly. India IIRC also has to "create" designs.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 11:30am

Early jets were limited by materials available rather than time. Advancing the underlying technology is basically impossible.

I'm not so sure on Canada having a separate aircraft industrie here. Maybe set up Bristol or Gloster with a factory over there to cover the North American market? Plenty of historical designs to use or to slightly modify. I have to do lots of modifications as to altering the government-imposed radial engines and the dominance of Fiat.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 5:35pm

Quoted

Well I have a similar problem after 1935 poland or romania or yugoslavia didnt build anyting worght of notice.

Well there were quite a few Polish designs that either didn't make it off the drawing board, or didn't do so in time, that look interesting...and the Romanian IARs weren't totally awful.

"Licencing factories" was the route I took of course, with Heinkel, Martin and Nakajima...and perhaps in the future Blohm und Voss? ;-)

(As for tweaking history...here the He 59 is (was? by now?) designed to a Filipino requirement...)

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 5:37pm

Is, it's been flying for most of a year.

Dornier's about to have the first flight of the Flying Pencil, which should be amusing.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 7:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I'm not so sure on Canada having a separate aircraft industrie here. Maybe set up Bristol or Gloster with a factory over there to cover the North American market? Plenty of historical designs to use or to slightly modify.

I've established in a couple of posts Canada's aerospace industry expanding a bit more than historical, including some government support as part of King's reelection campaign. For example, Avro Canada is around about 15 years early.

Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 8:23pm

With Argentina I'm lucky I have FMA and a couple of smaller private firms, unfortunately most of FMA's products were prototypes only.

If you want to create your own aircraft I'd suggest taking a couple of real world designs and basing it around them. Use real engines and adjust the performance. My T-514 is an Avro 504 mixed with an Avro Cadet, I've chosen a middle ground in performance to simulate it.
I'm writing a book on aircraft design and if anyone wants any help I'll be willing to try.
And yes Blohm und Voss under Dr-Ing Richard Vogt will have many interesting designs to play with....

Wednesday, July 12th 2006, 6:39am

Given the fact that I have to design my own designs your help would be quite usefull.

Thursday, July 13th 2006, 8:23pm

ShinRa, I've done some digging and Canada's position is not too bad. Here are the aircraft companies you can have.
1) Boeing Aircraft of Canada, Vancouver, formed 1929, in 1937 got a Blackburn licence to build the Blackburn Shark. You could move this link a few years forward.
2) Canadian Car & Foundry Co. Ltd (CCF), Montreal, this railway equipment maker moved to aircraft in the late 1930s with Grumman fighter contract. Could be good for later 1930s metal aircraft designs.
3) De Havilland Canada, Toronto, began in 1928 and builds mainly Tiger Moths but other DH types could be built, and Mossies in 1940s!
4) Fairchild Aircraft Ltd, has long history to commerical flights and building to 1919. By 1930 had 38,000 square feet of factory space. Contracts with Bristol and Handley Page in late 1930s.
5) Fleet Aircraft Ltd, begun operations at Fort Erie in 1930, mainly trainer aircraft and the 50K twin-engined freighter.
6) Macdonald Bros. Aircraft Ltd, also formed in 1930, mainly servicing and parts.
7)Noorduyn Aviation Ltd, a decade early but produced mainly US types except Norseman in WW2.
8) Ottowa Car and Aircraft Ltd, sole Canadian agents for Armstrong Whitworth, Avro and Armstrong Siddeley Motors, a very powerful and useful group and many excellent products to licence build. 250,000sq feet factory.
9) Canadian Vickers, another useful company that became Canadair.
Lots of scope here for new and good designs form both the USA and GB.

Friday, July 14th 2006, 6:36am

Wow good info there Hood, where did you find it?