You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 4:24pm

Windoze troubles

I'm in the middle of recovering from "The Blue Screen of Death", requiring a full reformat of the drive.

My present designs are on my web page, but I'll be a while redoing my future stuff...

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 4:27pm

Accursed Microsoft!!

Perhaps we should send them all to either Wesworld India or Wesworld Siam... Who knows what fate has in store for them there?
:-)

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 5:33pm

AT&T's already there....

Who's to say they are not already there and punishing the French and Russians for their imperialist oppression of the Vietnamese, Cambodians, and Laosians?

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 7:28pm

Elephants at the ready!!

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 9:47pm

I for one would like to throw Bill Gates to the Lyrian bulls, and confiscate his amassed wealth to bolster the Atlantian economy.

Looks like I'll be the tip of the spear for FAR forces for now, guns ready!

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 10:38pm

What we need is Springsharp for Macs

My G4 Powerbook, and its predecessor a Powerbook 1400, of course have run for over 7 years, without any sort of trouble, but the rest of the family refuses to see the ease of working with the Mac and reliability of of the Mac OS.

The fact that I'm the one who deals with the PC problems at my house probably has something to do with this.

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 10:48pm

I have reached the conclusion...

...that when my current 'puter kicks the bucket (it's probably one of the last built before Win98 was introduced), it will not be replaced.

(I'm backing up all of my Spring* files on my website; if one of you one day gets a PM saying "go to _____, download the files and take over the Philippines", you know what happened.)

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 10:58pm

I'm currently doing my damnest to get all current ship designs into the encyclopedia to safe guard them, in addition to old fasioned paper documentation, untill I can get around to saving things to disk.

As for drawings I'm on parts template #3 and currently I'm working on bringing my Capital ships up to the detail levels of my later cruiser drawings.

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 2:34am

Winders...

I always liked that one. Much better instructions than anything put out with "MS" in the prefix.

Gents,

Let me recommend a program by Norton. Used to be from a company called Wildfire, and their version is the one I have. It's called GoBack, and it keeps a rolling 2-week archive of your hard drive. If at any time, the Blue Screen of Death strikes, if you can get the computer started you can 'go back' to a point in the past before the collapse. It's already saved me from several viruseseseses (thanks ezBoards!!! way to police the pop-up vendors!!!) and potential catastrophic data losses.

Swampy, I too have reached the conclusion that I will not have another PC once the old Abaccus 4000BC (with Win98!) bites the dust. My next computer will be a Mac...

Remember, if Bill Gates had a nickle for every time Windows crashed....Oh wait, he does!!

Regards,

Big Rich

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 2:39am

I keep hearing how good Mac is, I might make the switch too...

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 3:29am

Amiga forever!

(Sometimes I wonder why so many so often have problems with M$. It´s not perfect but if handled correct and coupled with a good and up to date firewall and anti-virus/trojan software it´s not all that bad. I never really had a Blue Screen of Death in all those years. Only once lost a HD to a physical crash - hardly a problem of M$. Don´t get me wrong, I´m not arguing PRO Bill Gates - I just think users are responsible for most crashes, not the software used...)

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 5:09pm

The MS answer

WindowsXP.....it to is not perfect, but I've not yet encountered anyone that has had the Blue Screen of Death using XP. It has build it roll back to remove corrupt date, and if one get the Professional model, should be able to handle most problems. It also have a much better built in firewall, that can sometimes get in your way on the internet if you set it too high.

That and one needs to wipe their hard drives every couple of years for all those little invasive spyware, adware, agents, bots, and viruses.

HoOmAn

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 9:47pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
That and one needs to wipe their hard drives every couple of years for all those little invasive spyware, adware, agents, bots, and viruses.

I agree on XP. That´s qhat I have too. However, weeping your HD isn´t necessary too, depending on the tools you have. Any every few years one buys a new up-to-date computer anyway...

Sunday, June 5th 2005, 10:20pm

Quoted

Any every few years one buys a new up-to-date computer anyway...

'Not I, said the pig'. By 2008 I intend to be computer-free.

Monday, June 6th 2005, 3:01am

Quoted

'Not I, said the pig'. By 2008 I intend to be computer-free.

Do you think you'll have a Twonky by then...

Cheers,

Monday, June 6th 2005, 3:15am

Quoted

Do you think you'll have a Twonky by then...

Monday, June 6th 2005, 3:30am

I was an old Machead until 10 years ago, work made me assimilate : (

We had a Apple II in 1979 and then we had a Mac from 84. The folks still have Macs (G4). You could just buy the smallest PC case you can, a flat screen monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse and a tube of silicon. Silicon the PC to the back of the monitor (important note - don't get this the wrong way around) - instant G4!

I've just upgraded. About every 5 years I replace my PC - not intentional - just happens that way. I've never needed a warranty as the manufacturer is never around when I need it - they all go bust. This time I've bought a Dell notebook, XP Home, with a 17" screen (1900x1200pixels) - I hope I'm not the kiss of death for Dell : (

I went with the notebook cause I could salary package it through work and it takes up less room rather than being mobile. I made a cabinet in the shed for the old PC +scanner+printer+bits+cds etc. The cabinet is worth more than the PC!

I also have a Dell PDA and the two work well together as an organiser etc. (it's also my iPOD - but does more than music)

The eye opener has been the Mcaffee personal fire wall (bundled with the notebook) that logs attempted hacks on the PC. Ignorance was bliss with my old Win98SE PC. I had no idea of how many hack attempts there were. Goes to show that locks only keep honest people out.

I agree with Hoo. Losing stuff from a crash is not the PC's fault. For less that a hundred bucks you can have an external HD connected by USB as a backup. Works fine for me - even better now with USB2 speed.

Cheers,

HoOmAn

Monday, June 6th 2005, 5:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
I had no idea of how many hack attempts there were. Goes to show that locks only keep honest people out.

I could tell you about hackers... A friend of mine is a professional one. He´s working for an institute that certifies enterprice IT security. He can tell some interesting stories....

...and the BND (Bundesnachrichtendienst - German Secret Service) also knocked at his door, offering a job.

Since he told me just how easy it is to hack systems I stopped thinking about making my PC save. There´s no way to have it save and secure if you´re using the web, installing tools etc. All you can do is use a up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software to stop random and automatic attacks...

Tuesday, June 7th 2005, 2:31am

Quoted

I stopped thinking about making my PC save

Like I said, locks only keep honest people out.

Cheers,

Tuesday, June 7th 2005, 2:46am

Its just best to keep sensitive materials off your internet computer. If you have an older model you can use it as your records computer and only transfere stuff to disk when you need to access the net for some reason. This "in theory" should keep you safe...your computer won't be, but you personally will be.