You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 1:33pm

Thanks for the compliments so far, guys. Any thoughts on the "accuracy" of what took place? Any disappointment that the destruction was, by and large, limited to old cruisers and destroyers?

I see that I got the Japanese names backwards, so will edit that momentarily...

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 3:14pm

Slightly my fault since I keep the names as they should be in Japanese which is Family name first.
BTW, despite the fact that she survived, I think that Zuiho got a good 'beating' by Otta's aircraft.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 3:42pm

Zuiho's mishap will cause some head-scratching in Indian carrier circles. Did Otta take a big risk and get lucky? Or was it a brilliant strategy? Darn those inconclusive results!

(Karma might have been at play, perhaps, as I recall Otta getting the crap kicked out of her in the previous exercise).

You were consistent with your names. I realized "Togo" and "Yamamoto" were family names despite being the "first" name, yet ignored the same aspect of the other names. My bad.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 4:48pm

Quoted

Zuiho's mishap will cause some head-scratching in Indian carrier circles. Did Otta take a big risk and get lucky? Or was it a brilliant strategy? Darn those inconclusive results!

Well at this time there aren't really any such things as bomb sights so I think that the accuracy might have been overstated. It sounds like a dive bombing run, so I would have expected no hits in exchange for 4 aircraft plummeting into the sea after shedding their wings. As for level bombing, there's very little chance of hitting anything even with a bombsight. Assuming that the Indians were using 100kg bombs, there is no chance of them penetrating Zuiho's deck armour. However, her hangar is above this and thus the flight deck would serve to fuse the bomb causing large scale destruction, probably resulting in the loss of the carrier.

As for lessons to be learnt, more aircraft needed.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 5:03pm

Three bombs out of sixteen (eight planes, two bombs each) may indeed be too accurate. I don't know, I've never seen a genuine reference with comparable information. Bear in mnd that even with the inaccuracy of bombing at this time, it's a big target, and there's no evasive maneuvering mentioned.

I was looking for that bomb penetration data you posted once and I could not find it. But you'll notice that no bomb ever penetrated a warship's deck, and the Indians made a point of not trying to bomb a Japanese battleship when they showed up later in the day.

More planes are definitely needed.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 5:21pm

heights above which deck armour is penetrated by bombs (ft)

Thickness (ins) 2000lb AP 1500lb AP 1000lb AP 500lb AP
7 9000 13000 imm. imm.
6 7000 10600 15000 imm.
5 5000 7800 10500 imm.
4 3000 5000 7000 12000
3 1000 2500 4000 7000
2 -- -- 2000 3200

Thats for level bombing.

I've come up with a spreasheet to take this into account, and dive bombing as well. Problem is that my building plans are on the same sheet.

The 500lb bomb penetrating 2" of deck armour from 3200ft has 2.17MJ of energy. The 220lb bombs from ~2000ft have 0.6MJ of energy.

Worst case scenario, 2000lb bomb dropped from a Dauntless dive-bomber 450kph@1750ft=11.83MJ=3.39" of deck armour. The 450kph@1750ft is a typical release figure.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 5:24pm

Thanks for that. What's the source of the data?

Any chance you could copy the formulae into a blank spreadsheet? I'd love to get my mitts on it.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 5:26pm

Source is Nelson to Vanguard by D K Brown.

I'll try with the spreadsheet.

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 7:30pm

Good old Nelson to Vanguard, I'd shamelessly plug the book but half of us know about it already!

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 9:07pm

Quoted

Typical male question! XD

I'm curious as to the uniform she has (you say light blue, but I have no conception of what a female office might wear in 1927, much less a Japanese officer)....the reporter is just out of ideal curiorsity....period attire for a Japanese female reporter of 1927.

Wednesday, May 11th 2005, 12:09am

post-SATSUMA Exercise report in the Manila Times:

...according to MdF officials, the results of the recent SATSUMA exercise provide several pointers to future planning. Among them are a need for better artillery spotting at long range, for methods to increase the rate of fire on the guns of the Dagupan-class third class battleships, and the dangers of refueling aircraft in a combat zone.

We would also like to congragulate the crew of the Calayan, who won their class in the Five Nations' Gunnery Competition. While subpar performance by other ships (including the still-teething Dagupan dropped us to third overall, we are sure that future competitions will bring home the gold to las Filipinas!

--------------

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
Hmmm. You wouldn't have an image of the Mikasa's captain would you?

That's Ryoko from Tenchi Muyio, right Walter? :-)

Friday, May 13th 2005, 5:12pm

(Hope the pics work; I'll use Swamphen's style and add the adress below the picture using the color used for this bit of text)

Quoted

That's Ryoko from Tenchi Muyio, right Walter? :-)

Tenchi What???
(Actually I do know it, though I haven't seen it)
I was actually thinking of a Ren'Ai game called Kakyuusei. One of the characters in the game is called Kanou Ryoko:

http://comic.qq.com/z/kakyuusei/images/pic/11/07.jpg

Now it takes some time to find something useful when it comes to uniforms of the Imperial Japanese Navy, but to find something good for a woman is pretty hard (read: "impossible").
I think that the best one for a woman would be the one worn by Lieutenant Karin König in the game Shadow Hearts Covenant (which takes place in 1915).

Uniform for female officer in the Imperial German Army.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/915253_20040428_screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/06/18/shadow_screen012.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/915253_20040428_screen008.jpg
Very, very good game BTW.
Of course for the navy, blue would be the color to use (and looking at the uniforms here, they're pretty dark blue)... so after struggling with Google to find something useful, I ran across this picture...

http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/olbook2_q67.jpg
Well... Works for me! It might be a lighter blue than the regular navy uniforms, but it is unlikely I'll find anything navy-realated anyway.
(Continuing the search got me to this site... guess we all have our hobbies...)

... as for Ms. Akaibara...
... if I would be using period attire, it'd probably turn out to be a kimono!
O_O;;
(How she'd look? I always liked this photo of seiyuu Horie Yui: http://www.geocities.com/seiyuu_directory/image/yui5.jpg (there are times that the site can't be accessed; if necessary I can always send the photo))
(Let's take a look how it will turn out...)

Friday, May 13th 2005, 6:05pm

That will do.

Friday, May 13th 2005, 11:06pm

Oyama designer uniform

XD

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 2:07am

On the Gun Frontier

Well there is a drawing of his great-uncle and friends back in the late 1800s.

And an even rarer drawing of Mr. Oyama's grandmother and great-uncle as children.

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 2:38am

Oooh...red hair...

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
Tenchi What???
(Actually I do know it, though I haven't seen it)

"Ryoko: From the anime series 'Tenchi Muyou'. This centuries-old female space pirate is - or seems to be - some manner of artificial life-form, with various superpowers and strange abilities. "

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 2:44am

Lieutenant Karin König would only be about 8 years old in Navalism, but you could always use her mother or aunt, Swamphen, if you, or the Second Reich in Exile, need characters.

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 5:29pm

Quoted

Oooh...red hair...

Oooh...red hair... indeed!! BTW, I saw her first!! XD

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 6:36pm

A redhead....you wanted a redhead?

Well there is that woman that Mr. Oyama has been seen with the last few years.

Regular View

Oyama Vision

Miss Seline Yukino?

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 6:52pm

Oooh...red hair... indeed!! Too bad Oyama saw her first. :-|