You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 14th 2005, 7:29pm

Sounds about right. So you're saying I should only have wars when you're at home? We'll have to circulate a SATSUMA vacation scheduler.

Thursday, April 14th 2005, 7:54pm

IIRC the Indian/Danish conflict occured to quickly to require military flexing. The conflict was concluded long before all diplomatic options were exhausted.

Another factor is that other than the AANM no other nation was under great threat so there was no real drive to get involved, and it seemed that the AANM was slow to react to a war that included one of its members.

IIRC France took the opertunity to move some ships to Indochina, but that is indicative of the French Charactor, being somewhat paraniod and protective after the great war.

Thursday, April 14th 2005, 8:41pm

Quoted

Sounds about right. So you're saying I should only have wars when you're at home?

Only if you need me. Also, when I am in Canada, I have access to a computer during the first part and last part of my stay there.

Quoted

We'll have to circulate a SATSUMA vacation scheduler.

Leaving June 16 and coming back July 22. Probably about 2 or 3 weeks in the Rockies. It all depends on the weather. Last year was definitely not a good year for hikes.
You can still start wars if you really want it but I react slower to stuff like that when I am in vacation mode.

Friday, April 15th 2005, 12:03am

India-Denmark war

Quoted

IIRC France took the opertunity to move some ships to Indochina, but that is indicative of the French Charactor, being somewhat paraniod and protective after the great war.

Yes, I was watching that situation closely, but fortunately the fighting wasn't near one of my Sea Lines of Communication, and it was over quickly. On the other hand, France, with Russian assistance, responded more vigorously to the Paracels Island incident because it was close to trade routes and the SLOC between Indochina and Vladivostok.

Friday, April 15th 2005, 9:05am

AANM

also, Denmark did not decide to call upon it's allies, probably partly to avoind a larger conflict. If Iberia and Italy had supported Denmark, I have a feeling that South Africa might have gotten involved. This would have turned nasty ...

Friday, April 15th 2005, 12:48pm

Quite possible. After all its in their backyard.

Friday, April 15th 2005, 12:54pm

The CT retards armaments but the alliances are strait out of pre-WW1 and do nothing to maintain the peace. Or rather you have an alternative of uneasy peace or global war.

Cheers,

Friday, April 15th 2005, 3:28pm

I assume that in Wesworld:

A) There isn't a lot of faith in the League of Nation's ability to deter or stop wars...hence the continued formation of alliances;

or

B) "Contemporary" thinking in Wesworld doesn't blame the alliance system for the Great War. Perhaps it blames German decision-making or some other factors instead.

It's possible that there is awareness of the dangers, though. If AANM and SAINT both made conscious efforts not to escalate the Andaman War, and if SATSUMA made a conscious effort to discourage a war in the Paracels, it does demonstrate some reluctance to blindly obey a diplomatic agreement. Granted, these were affairs between small nations - we'll see how it works when some of the big fish starting scrapping...

Friday, April 15th 2005, 7:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
The CT retards armaments but the alliances are strait out of pre-WW1 and do nothing to maintain the peace. Or rather you have an alternative of uneasy peace or global war.

Cheers,

That wasn't the goal of FAR. Its a different type of alliance, a defencive alliance in which agression cannot guarantee a willing partner in crime. It premotes peace by exagerating the potential for expanding the conflict, making it considerably more risky to start a conflict.

Effectively its the stick approach if diplomacy or the L.O.N. fails.