You are not logged in.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, March 15th 2005, 9:27am

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
Glad you like my new pic. I'm reworking all my drawings to finish the encyclopedia. I've reworked my twin 2 pdrs after they were picked on (too small). They are now twin mounted one over the other and are about the size of a 3" mount. I'm also experimenting the shadow rendering in Photoshop. I've also added masts.

I´ve noted. Shadow rendering seems to be a good idea to get some interesting visual effects showing the flare of a ships bow or overall paint weathering.

Quoted

Did Ranger have two hangar decks? Did Soryu?

Yes, both had a twin hangar deck.

Quoted

Ranger went for max deck area on minimum tonnage to get an additional 5 carriers from remaining tonnage. She was judged too small and too slow so the 5 ships was dropped to two small (including Ranger) and two 20,000ton carriers. [...]

You´re right once again. RANGER was deemed to small and thus not sucessful as a design. However, US designer showed how much could be packed on a given displacement and if you reduce the number of planes that are to be deployed, thus hangar space etc. you can devote more weight to other areas and probably come up with a balanced design.

Also note that while 29kn may have been not enough for USN operation it might be fast enough for WesWorld nations who have fleet speeds of less than 30kn or plan to use their CVs in different roles than the USN historically did.

Quoted

I think, just like the case of springstyle and oodles of light AA guns, you need to draw your hangar deck to establish a reasonable aircraft total.

Indeed, drawing a ship in scale gives best insight into what is possible and what is not.

Keep it coming,

HoOmAn