You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, March 9th 2005, 2:43am

Jytlands-Posten, October 4th, 1926

On his first day in the Folketing, Walter Schmidt was involved in one of the great moments of the House.

As is traditional for new members of the Folketing, Herr Schmidt was entitled to ask a question of the Prime Minister during question time. However, it appears that a question was the last thing on Walter's mind!

At the start of question time, the speaker called the house's new member to ask his question. " Mr.Speaker, I must ask you to bear with me for a few moments. I have here a copy of the transcripts of the Folketing's proceedings from the 27th of April 1887. I would ask you to give a ruling on those events, and as to my desire to repeat those events"

With a slightly puzzled look on his face, the speaker sent one of the clerks of the house to collect the transcript from Walter. After about 5 minutes carefully reading the text; during which time the assembled members, including his party members, were scratching their heads trying to work out what the new man was up to; the speaker had the text returned to Walter and addressed the house.

"Distinguished members of the Folketing, I have been asked to make a ruling on the text provided by Herr Schmidt, and to his desire to repeat the actions reported in said text. Having studied the text, which is the transcript of the house proceedings of the day in question from the Folketing archive, I hereby make the following ruling. Although it is an unusual request, it does have precedent, and is within the permittable options for a new member of this house. Therefore, I find in favour of the request of the Honourable Walter Schmidt."

The house went deathly quiet as Walter Schmidt rose to his feet to speak. "Mr. Speaker, horourable members of the Folketing, I have a request to make of the Prime Minister, one which as the Speaker has just ruled, he is qbliged to honour. I hereby request an immediate and open vote of No Confidence in the current government."

The house erupted, with shouts from the government back benches and cheers from the opposition benches.
After a few moments the speaker called the members to order, and informed the Folketing that he would allow a 15 recess to allow the archive records to be checked.

During this time, the opposition leader, with a concerned look on his face, took Walter Schmidt aside with the party whip for a rather serious looking conversation. The worried look on his face lifted as a result of that conversation, and when he returned to his seat, his countenance was somewhat brighter.

The 15 minutes passed, and the leaders of the 2 main parties got up from their seats and made their way to the 2 voting lobbies, one for the members supporting the resolution, and one against. They took up positions at the doors beside one of the house clerks, who would tally the number of members in each lobby. As would be expected, the members of each of the 2 main parties filed into the lobbies behind their respective leaders.

At this point, the government were well in front due to their greater number of seats, but the smaller parties would now lend their weight to the vote. They all approached in order based on the number of seats held, and The Danish Communist Party, The Liberal Party, and The Danish People's Party all filed into the FOR lobby.
Then the independent members of the house made their way towards the lobbies.

In order of time served in the Folketing, they made their way towards the government lobby. A moan of despair went through the FOR lobby, at the same time as a cheer started in the AGAINST lobby. However, the celebrations were premature.

Hugo Egmont and Hugo Fonnesbech, the 2 shortest serving members of the house were talking to each other as they approached the Prime Minister. They stopped in front of the Prime Minister and each said a few words. The PM's face dropped as the 2 independents turned and strided into the FOR lobby. The opposition erupted in cheers and shouts of victory as the numbers were tallied.

The Speaker called the house back to the chamber and to order, and read out the results of the vote to the members."Those FOR the Resolution 91, those AGAINST 88.
The resolution is carried, and in accordance with the rules of the Folketing, I hereby order a General election to be held within 3 months."

The Prime Minister, looking a little shaken by the sudden downturn in his party's fortunes, rose to his feet and addressed the house. "Mr. Speaker, I will present myself to the King at his earliest convienence, and inform him of the need to disolve the Folketing in preparation for a general election"

The Prime Minister and his cabinet rose to leave the Folketing, followed by cries of "You've been HUGO-ed!!" for the opposition benches.

Wednesday, March 9th 2005, 3:21am

The Philippines notes with satisfaction the fall of a Government of the LEFT. As Señor Raton of FINK says, "Those governments who are not RIGHT will be LEFT - behind!"