You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 4:46am

New coast defense pages

I've got pages on my website set up for Big Diomede Island and the Vladivostok area.... and more will follow.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 5:24am

YIKES!!! Its Corregidor of the High Arctic! Awfully close to me though since I own Little Diomede.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 7:24am

Yikes is right! Between the U.S.A. and Russia, no one is getting through those straits uninvited!!

*writes up the way of passage permission slip and gathers up the toll fee*

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:15am

One can always try at night... or with a submarine.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:24am

Or wait for a cold winter and walk through.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:30am

Why wait until the winter? I think of my two options, the submarine would have the best chance getting through reasonably unharmed.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:36am

Till the advent of sonar, then you'd be hooped.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:42am

Unless it is mined and netted....then your submarines will have troubles.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:50am

Knowing the Russians way of mining, you will be able to walk across the minefield. Just watch out for those anti-personel mines attached to those sea mines.
:-)

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 12:21pm

Mining the Bering Straits

Actually, and suprisingly, that's not part of the plan. I am well aware who owns half of that passage, and know that mines/nets on the US side will be found. I don't need the diplomatic, and possibly, military, headaches that would result from mining/netting in US territorial waters.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 3:10pm

Gulp!

Looks like the Russkies have the Bering Strait covered...literally...!!

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 3:56pm

Are you worried Swamphen? Looks like the presence of those guns just ruined one of your evil plans.
:-)

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 5:02pm

Just as a matter of interest, how strategic is the Bering Strait?

I leads to nowhere of real tactical advantage, is only passable for half the year, and with the weather of the region visibility will be low for a good part of what is left; ok, so the Alaskan fishing fleet might be worried, but........

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 5:16pm

The russian icebreakers are attempting to keep the Northern Sea Route open 24 hours a day during the 365/366 days of the year.
It should be noted that if Japan wants to send a ship to Denmark, it is shorter along that route than through the Suez Canal. You might argue that the speed along the trecherous Northern Sea Route may be lower than when going through the Suez Canal. That is true, but one spends less fuel at lower speed along a shorter route when using the Northern Sea Route. It saves fuel hence it saves money.
While for you it has no value, it is of value for the Russians.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:09pm

point taken!

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 8:36pm

The treacherous Northern Sea Route

It should be noted that along with icebreakers, commercial passage of the Northern Sea Route is supported by aerial patrols from airbases on Big Diomede Island, Wrangel Island, at Tiksi, on the Taymir and Yamal Penninsulas, and on Novaya Zemlya. These patrols monitor iceberg conditions, and the weather stations at these bases provide weather forecasts by radio upon request. Also available are rescue services, in the event a ship loses an arguement with an iceberg.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 9:34pm

There's also the Bering Sea Patrol courtesy of the USCG.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 9:57pm

Quoted

Are you worried Swamphen? Looks like the presence of those guns just ruined one of your evil plans. :-)

Note to self: train Filipino Marine Brigade(s) in arctic warfare and demolitions. :-)

AdmK - where did you get the "baseline" maps from?

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 10:07pm

Filipino Marines will have their work cut out

What I don't show is the 76mm and 37mm guns, mortars, and machinegun nests. And the reinforced concrete is about 5m thick. I took the installation at Battery Maxim Gorkii II near Sevasopol as the general model for the big gun installations.

The maps are from Expedia.

Saturday, March 5th 2005, 10:21pm

Why do I feel we'll be see-ing more Expedia maps in future!
As I didn't say before, Nice work AK!!!