You are not logged in.

Sunday, February 13th 2005, 3:08am

Dagblatet Politiken, 21st February, 1926

The King turned the first sod on the site of the new "King Vajiravudh of Siam" hospital yesterday. He was joined by the Ambassador of Siam, His Excellency, Chatichai Choonhavan, who also turned a sod.

After the ground breaking, the Ambassador said, "It was the earnest wish of the late King Vajiravudh that he would be able to apologise to the people of Denmark for the hurt they have suffered as a result of the actions of his countrymen".

"As it was your sailors who paid the price for the greed of some of our people with their blood, he wished to ease the suffering of sailors now and in the future, so it gives me great pleasure to be here to see the start of this hospital, I only wish that it did not have to come about this way."

His Majesty, Christian X, commented on the Ambassador's speech "His late Majesty, King Vajiravudh was a man of great personal honour, and I grew to know him well. He was deeply indebted for our assistance during the crisis and the actions of some of his people that brought war to the Andaman Sea would have caused him great pain, and he was a man who believed in paying one's debts".

"The hospital was originally to be named "The Danish Military Servicemen's Hospital", however I have asked that it be named in memory of the man who's idea and gift to the people of Demark it is,and also that we never forget that talking to our international brethern is preferable to going to war over as base a reason as personal greed"

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, February 13th 2005, 1:33pm

I like this one...

Keep it coming!

HoOmAn