You are not logged in.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 4:48am

Questions about Diplomatic Relations

I've been looking through the boards and have come up with some information regarding the USA's relations with some of the player nations. If any of you have more to add, please do so. BTW, just who does control the Marianas? I know I have Guam, but who owns the rest now? I've seen posts that indicate that the US also owns Puerto Rico, but I'm not certain.

United Kingdom: Generally friendly, but tempered by anti-imperialist sentiments in US.

Atlantis: Positive relationship, trade relations good, common distrust of Iberia

Denmark: Friendly Neutral

France: Friendly Neutral

Russia: Friendly Neutral

Germany: Neutral, though many Americans fell prey to U-boats during WW1. Still, there is a strong belief that Versailles was too harsh and the other European powers had a role to play in causing the war.

Greece: Very Positive,

Nordmark: Friendly Neutral

Iberia: Neutral to mildly hostile. No active hostility, but “we’re not sending them Christmas Cards either!” Leftover baggage from the war of 1898 and Iberia’s holdings in “Our Hemisphere”.

South Africa: Friendly

India: Good, both anti-colonial though SATSUMA is a concern since it means India could become an enemy in a war with Japan.

Japan: Unfriendly but not openly hostile. Concern over SATSUMA and Japanese expansionism towards East Indies. They probably have concern over our fortification of Wake Island. The Immigration Act of 1924 is a major sore point, combined with racial hostility in the Western US and Hawaii towards Japanese and Asians.

Philippines: Neutral, but growing more concerned since SATSUMA and possibility of expansionism.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 5:04am

Chilean Relation to the United States of America

I would beleive the Chileans would have a nuetral to friendly relationship with the United States as Chile was the least "anti-european" of the South American nations, and an independant nation within the Western Hemisphere. Chile, while friendly to most European nations, would probably still be a little wary or short with Iberia, and that could be at least an issue of common ground with the United States. Chile has made it clear that their new armored cruiser designs are designed with El Cid in mind.

Also the Chileans in wesworld are more involved in trade at sea and the concept of "free trade" which the United States holds in high reguard.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 5:25am

Seems reasonable to me.

You'll also need to figure out positions on Italy and the Netherlands.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 3:58pm

Quoted

Philippines: Neutral, but growing more concerned since SATSUMA and possibility of expansionism.

Since when is trying to win a Mexican cruiser contract expansionism? *whistling innocently*

Our Foreign Minister beating up on your ambassador didn't help either, I'm sure. ;)

Puerto Rico is still Iberian (along with Cuba, Hispanola, and all of Central America).

As for the Marianas...Guam is American, and I believe the rest all belongs to Walter's Japan. ^_^

Monday, January 17th 2005, 4:56pm

Actually I nicked Guam since the US was originally a non player nation. Since the US is now a player nation, I will correct that (unless you have other thoughts).

Quoted

Japan: Unfriendly but not openly hostile.

Well, what do you expect when a nation forces another nation to open their ports for trade at gunpoint? Japan was an isolated nation until Commodore Perry came with his black ships in 1853-1854.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 6:55pm

Hmmm...I guess you could keep Guam. Saves me the cost of developing it as a base. :)

Monday, January 17th 2005, 7:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen Our Foreign Minister beating up on your ambassador didn't help either, I'm sure. ;)

One wonders how the Phillipines manages to maintain diplomatic relations even with its own allies with incidents like that going on.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 8:31pm

Quoted

One wonders how the Phillipines manages to maintain diplomatic relations even with its own allies with incidents like that going on.

Strategic location.

Monday, January 17th 2005, 9:38pm

Don't forget the entertainment value

Quoted

It's heavy competition for the world-famous Moscow Circus.

Tuesday, January 18th 2005, 12:41am

Quoted

Japan and India have tough ambassadors.