You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 11:12am

SpringSharp 2.1 just released on the web

Version 2.1 is minor upgrade to Version 2.01. It incorporates an update of the look and feel add-in, a better calculation of the effects of a torpedo bulkhead, a limitation on negative data entry, a speed improvement especially when loading a ship after already having a ship loaded and a couple of bug fixes.

Ian

www.springsharp.com

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 12:12pm

Thanks Ian. Looks like those bugs I found are out of the program.

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 12:21pm

Thanks Ian!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 1:34pm

Ian,

could you please give an example what you mean by

"a speed improvement especially when loading a ship after already having a ship loaded"?

Thanks,

HoOmAn

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 1:50pm

I think (but I could be wrong) he's talking about the program. Once you had a number of things entered and you returned to the various pages where you change certain things again, at times SS slowed down a bit.
Haven't tried it yet though...

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 1:59pm

Y'all can thank me for this. I downloaded SS201 just last night...

Send Cash! ;)

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 2:03pm

Quoted

Y'all can thank me for this. I downloaded SS201 just last night...

Don't you think you should have waited for one more day. That way you would have had SS 2.1 instead of SS 2.01. ;-)

*sends over 100 Wesworld yens*
(which is equal to about 75-80 US cents back in the Wesworld 20s)

Saturday, December 11th 2004, 6:08pm

I must say that I've noticed no changes apart from appearance.

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 3:32am

It mainly fixes some bugs, like negative settings. Walter knows the bugs intimately!

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 4:12am

SS2.1 Changes

Speed improvement is, as summised above, only a program speed performance problem. On AMDs, Pentium IIIs, Pentium Ms and older Pentium 4 it makes little noticable difference. However on current Hyper-Threading Pentium 4s I noticed that they can take a long time to reload a ship. For example load a ship then load another over it and a HT can get quite tongue-tied. I have streamlined the error checking for guns to improve this - It makes no difference to the program.

Most of the other changes relate to Walter's review.
- disallowing most negative numbers,
- stopping zero thickness belts from improving torpedo protection,
- No reporting of the percentage of coal in the bunker,
- Date warning no longer appears for AA guns added to ships launched before AA guns allowed.

In addition
- The 3rd battery armour report is finally corrected,
- The gun warnings are improved,
- The TB effectiveness based on actual length and height not just mere existance.

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 5:09am

hmm

Guess we might need to recheck some of our designs in the near future.

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 11:13am

I'm still using v2 for Greece but I think the FEH may have some problems...

Thanks Ian, it's your efforts - along with Hoo's friend for hosting, that makes wesworld possible.

Cheers,

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 11:26am

Quoted

I'm still using v2 for Greece but I think the FEH may have some problems...

If the various people who participate in the FEH design competitions use the various versions of Spring Style/Sharp, I can understand that it is a bit hard to sort everything out.

Sunday, December 12th 2004, 11:37am

Version 2.0 v 2.0.1 v 2.1

Using 2.0.1 or 2.1 makes no difference unless you have rear armour on the 3rd battery or rely on the ability to withstand torpedo hits calc.

The 3rd battery correction is only a report error - all other figures including armour weight and strength calc are correct in both versions. The torpedo bulkhead changes affect nothing except the theoretical number of torpedo hits the ship can take.

However, using 2.0 or any of the beta releases will give a significantly different result if you use a magazine size other than 150 main battery shells per gun

Ian

www.springsharp.com