You are not logged in.

Sunday, November 14th 2004, 2:15am

Filipino News - 2/3 April '25

The rest of the news should be ready by Monday (maintaing the 'two-week schedule') but I'm throwing this out first...

Fire away. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Manila Times
2 April 1925

The British and Filipino governments have signed an agreement regarding the claim on Sabah, a British territory, by the Sultan of Sulu.

The Philippines agrees to drop all claims on Sabah, and will also provide favoured trading status to certian products produced in the British Empire, such as Australian wool.

In exchange, the British will lease the old battlecruiser Princess Royal to the Philippines, for a period that begins on the first of this July and continues through 1 July 1929...

---

The Manila Evening Times
2 April 1925

Muhammad Jamalul Kiram II ibni Sultan Muhammad Jamalul Azam, the Sultan of Sulu, reacted angrily to the announcement that the Filipino Government has rejected all its territorial claimes on the Sabah area of Borneo.

"This is a slap in the face," said the Sultan. "I must now pursue other methods."

---

The Manila Envelope
3 April 1925

...and so our esteemed Government has seen fit to sign away our safety and security - not to mention our rightful territory! - to procure a "Capital Ship", and not just any such "Capital Ship", but a British Battlecruiser, and British Battlecruisers are best known for being one-shot floating crematoriums...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The lease of Princess Royal - which will become Presidente Malvar - keeps her on the British rolls as far as the CT is concerned. Of course, the Philippines hopes that the 1929 Conference will modify the treaty to allow her sale...

Sunday, November 14th 2004, 2:42pm

You know, I was thinking...
What makes the Philippines so sure that there will be a conference in 1929?

Sunday, November 14th 2004, 2:50pm

Our ally is an optimist, Walter.

Nice news, Swampy. Here's hoping that SALSA doesn't blow up President Malvar with a well-placed mortar bomb.