You are not logged in.

Tuesday, November 9th 2004, 11:13am

Greek submarines and support ship

I need to work on simming submarines and a motorised floating dock so here are drawings for 'Improved 'R-Class' subs (about 425tons light) and a 4500t submarine transport (about the size of a ww2 LSD).

Cheers,

Tuesday, November 9th 2004, 5:31pm

I like the idea of the motorised floating dock... perhaps british designers are going to make a little trip to Greece and have a look at your plans... but in a bigger scale... perhaps 15000t and able to carry a couple 1000-1500t subs...

I´ve to begin working in many auxliliary ships soon, the RN is still quite short on them

Thursday, November 11th 2004, 3:49pm

Do you really need to have 2 subs out of the water at the same time? You are very limited in hull space for workshops etc as well as ship's machinery. It might be more practical to stick closer to the LSD model and have more hull space and reduce the size of the dock.
As it stands it looks like you will need a second ship, more akin to a conventional submarine tender to handle the actual repair functions.
You might need more 'hotel' space to accomodate crews of the drydocked submarines. This allows more complete repairs to be conducted on the subs.

Friday, November 12th 2004, 6:53am

The role for this ship is to transport 4 subs around - not just a drydock. They would need to be able to charge batteries (the big failing for subs of this type in this era) and provision the subs - perhaps a reload set of torps - certainly not a hundred like a real sub-tender). In port it would probably need separate accommodation (a old ferry should do - Greece should have lots of these). The subs are small so crews aren't big. I figure I can lift 4 in transport but 2 or 3 with the extra space over to workshops etc may be a better idea.

I expect this to not be a screaming success but it would only take the idea of putting loaded 200ton 'X-lighters' aboard for the concept of a LSD to move ahead.

Cheers,