You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 10:21am

Italian News Catchup

At the moment I'm suffering from a severe attack of real-life, so my news articles will be short and sweet if at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

January 1925

Iberian inventor, Don Juan de la Cierva, after demostrating his new fangled C.3 autogyro over 2 years ago in Iberia has worked on an improved design, the C.4 which was first flown in 1923. This month with his latest design, the C.6, he flew off a temporary platform mounted forward on RM Giuseppe Miraglia lifting off after only 20-30m. He refuses to try and land before he has removed all the bugs from the craft.

January
5 new light cruisers were laid down this quarter. The 4 of the Condotteri I class mount 8x60"/50 guns, considerable armour, and will be capable of over 34knts. The remaining ship, Francesco Ferrucio , will probably mount imported Iberian 6"/60 guns, provided there are no problems. She is very similar to the Veinticinco de Mayo Class ships which were laid down this quarter for Argentina.

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 12:47pm

I am having this mental image of Senor the Cuerva flying and busily working on his aircraft before he dares to land it ;-)

And cruisers with 60" guns? wow!

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 1:27pm

The Philippines is keenly interested in Senor de la Cierva's autogyros and is watching the tests intently...

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 3:05pm

Quoted

He did say that Italian ships were fast and heavily armed.

We'd better call in the Japanese inspectors to see if it's compliant with the treaty...

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 4:59pm

Quoted

6"/60

Quoted

We'd better call in the Japanese inspectors to see if it's compliant with the treaty...

I'll ask Walter for a date in 1926.

Quoted

The Philippines is keenly interested in Senor de la Cierva's autogyros and is watching the tests intently...

They aren't anywhere near as good as real aircraft;

-no VTOL
-lack of range
-lack of ability to carry loads(<150lb)
-reliability

Thursday, November 4th 2004, 5:09pm

Quoted

Weapons Inspector: "Hmmm... Does seem rather big but my measuring device tells me that the muzzle diameter is 6 cm.... so it's a CT legal gun."
(Should be noted that the inspector is about 150cm)

Friday, November 5th 2004, 2:41am

Quoted

She is very similar to the Veinticinco de Mayo Class ships which were laid down this quarter for Argentina.

Hmm.

Quoted

If the construction of any vessel of war for a non-Contracting Power is undertaken within the jurisdiction of any of the Contracting Powers, such Power shall promptly inform the other Contracting Powers of the date of the signing of the contract and the date on which the keel of the ship is laid; and shall also communicate to them the particulars relating to the ship

Hmmm...

(I presume this also means Nordmark didn't achieve there stated goal, which IIRC was along the lines of making sure the Argies never had a navy again?)

Friday, November 5th 2004, 3:02am

For laughs....

Maybe they split Argentina up between the local powers (Nordmark, South Africa, Chile, and Brazil) In which case, the Brazilians are building it.

Friday, November 5th 2004, 10:23am

Date of signing of contract 01/01/1925, ship laid down 01/04/1925.

Stats are here

Quoted

(I presume this also means Nordmark didn't achieve there stated goal, which IIRC was along the lines of making sure the Argies never had a navy again?)

Italy wasn't on best diplomatic terms with Nordmark.

Friday, November 5th 2004, 1:17pm

Nice-looking ships. :)