You are not logged in.

Monday, October 25th 2004, 7:15pm

I resemble that remark!!

Beware, FINK is everywhere...

;-)

Monday, October 25th 2004, 10:11pm

Except in Atlantis, AIC keeps its ears to the ground!

Monday, October 25th 2004, 10:14pm

Quoted

Except in Atlantis, AIC keeps its ears to the ground!

Not the walls?
:-)

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 3:04am

In the beginning....

The Pacific is a big place.

Their are the French islands that might be useful for coaling stations for the older parts of the fleet...or resupply bases for the newer ships. But we don't know if they are friendly or rude. However, Indo-China would be a nice place to have ties...with all those resources.... (what is the saying..."Never get involved in a land war in Southeast Asia").

Their are the Americans, but they have retracted a lot in the last few decades...wouldn't be worth anything to attack them. Besides, they sell good airplanes and guns.

We have Japan way over on the other side. Might be useful for weapons and help with carrier and sub designs.

Australia...hmmm, are they part of the Crown still?

Brittain....there is no way Chile is going to anger them...they are everywhere. Besides they might sell us stuff....and might let us use their coaling stations. Continued trade with the Crown would be in our best interest.

The Dutch.....hmmm, the East Indies are a major prize, sort of like what Cortez wanted...but that is a little too large to be thinking about in this day and age. Besides, we got riches of our own. (there has got to be oil around here someplace.) Trade might be possible if we can find something we have that they want.

The Phillapines...well we speak about the same language at least. They are weak, but not too weak. Might be helpful, but all depends on what looks reasonable. Seem to have a new coastal battleship design that might be worth looking into.

Russia....they are playing in the Pacific as well...with the French. Hmmm. An odd alliance.

India. A bit far away to even consider at the moment. Will have to watch their actions in the local region as they are allied with Japan and the Filipinos.

Denmark (Siam)....Odd...I don't recall when the King of Siam fell. Seems to be a trouble spot in the region. Might want to see who in the area would like our help...or our trade. Or if we can use this to gain somethings we lack....

Iberia....Our old masters....we still have a sore spot against that place. Some trade at present, but some of the wounds run too deep, especially with those of native blood. Some dream of a Double Continent without Iberia....dreams they say. The others on South America try harder to remove the imperialist powers. We will see. We will wait. Together we might stand a better chance....but not before we gain the means to be equal...economic power to military power. The cycle will end when all are one.

China...everyone is or was there. Might want to setup a trade base in that region.

Germany...well they did have a presence here once. Once they are allowed we might gain some insight on warship design and weapons design from them.

Nordmark....not in the Pacific to our knowledge. A little wary of them since the war. Still attempting to maintaining trade relations. A known provider of weapons.

South Africa....a neighbor. Not in the Pacific to our knowledge. A little wary of them due to their colonial possessions and reaction to the recent war. Still attempting to maintaining trade relations.

Atlantis....not in the Pacific to our knowledge. Respected due to there past association with the old native populations. Trade relations possible.

Brazil...a neighbor. Not in the Pacific. Not hostile, but not exactly friendly due to troubles over Argentina. Would like to combine one day to make a united South America. Could work things out, since we've not been directly hostile before.

Peru/Boliva...neighbors. They still sting a little after we defeated them in "the War of the Pacific". Would like to combine one day to make a united South America, but it will be difficult.

Argentina...neighbor. Hostile relations are a kind way to put their mood across the border. They don't care for us in their government. If we could get them to see things our way we might stand a better chance at doing what they'd like to do....unite the continent.

Rest of Europe and Mediterranain...outside our scope of operation at the moment, save for possible trade relations.

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 3:24am

Interesting assessment.

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 4:30am

Not so odd...

Quoted

Russia....they are playing in the Pacific as well...with the French. Hmmm. An odd alliance.

There was a time, just after the Great War, when Germany and Italy seemed to be flirting with some very dangerous ideas, and at that time the alliance was a matter of utmost urgency for France and Russia. Happily that time is past, but Russia is what France needs; a big friend, and France has what Russia needs; a convenient array of global possessions for bases , and experienced colonial administrators to keep smooth relations with the local populations near those bases.

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 2:15pm

..not to mention the addition of Atlantis to make it a trio.
All three nations benifit from the alliance in some way.

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 2:31pm

Quoted

India. A bit far away to even consider at the moment. Will have to watch their actions in the local region as they are allied with Japan and the Filipinos.

And they're allied with the South Africans. And they like to shoot first. And they may be sending out some signals about China.

Not that I disagree with your assessment, just pointing out that India's one of the world's premier troublemakers at the moment. Chile will have to work hard to surpass them.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 2:41pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
Not that I disagree with your assessment, just pointing out that India's one of the world's premier troublemakers at the moment.

Uh? Anything you want to tell us? Anything I better should know?!

I know there´ll be a soccer game again but that´s hardly what you had in mind, I guess....

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 3:52pm

Quoted

The cycle will end when all are one.

Sure thing, Kosh. ;)

Excellent assessment!

The Philippines also has some trade connections with China...

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 4:43pm

Quoted

Uh? Anything you want to tell us? Anything I better should know?!

Not offhand. Just pointing out to Ithekro that there was a bit more to India than simply being a local power in SATSUMA.

Are you saying that you wouldn't consider India a troublemaker?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, October 26th 2004, 6:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
Are you saying that you wouldn't consider India a troublemaker?

No, not yet - at least for the SAE. We´ll see what happens next... ;o)

Wednesday, October 27th 2004, 12:22am

Since Walter posted his Q1, I went ahead and shot mine up there as well.

My Q1 news is ready (and has some bits that may affect some other players ;) ) but I'm waiting on the Andaman Sea Aftermath (and the full Q4 German news) to complete.

Wednesday, October 27th 2004, 12:34am

Musings on Philippines vs Chile Infrastructure

Got to thinking on how the Philippines would have 11 factories, but Chile only 7...

When I get to thinking, it's always a dangerous thing...

--

In 1910, both countries only had six factories. Their course over the next ten years, however, was drastically different.

The Philippines decided not to build up their navy right away. (In fact the ONLY ship built between 1909 and 1922 was the light cruiser Palawan.) Instead, all naval resources were poured into increasing the industrial base, so that when they were ready to step into the naval arena, they would be (for the most part) self-sufficent, capable of building their own ships, and at a reasonable rate.

Chile, meanwhile, was a participant in the ABC Naval Race, and could not afford such a luxury. Only one new naval materials factory was completed in the next 14 years; instead, two Dreadnoughts and a number of destroyers were ordered abroad.

So now, as 1925 starts, both countries have a fairly comparable fleet (if you exclude those two Chilean dreadnoughts); however, the Philippines appears to have the better prospects of future expansion, as their added industrial capability allows them to maintain their ships without unduly affecting the building programme.

And thus, some members of the Chilean Admiralty believe that the best - perhaps only - hope for their fleet, lies in the expansion of their country...

---

Ithekro, does this square with your thinking in any way?

Wednesday, October 27th 2004, 1:22am

I suppose so. Having your enemies on hand does make it difficult to actually build directly when time is against you. With Argentina...reduced for the moment, local building can become possible. At least we focused on trade earlier and more intently than historical. Freighters are a good thing if you want to keep the income, incoming.

Wednesday, October 27th 2004, 2:12pm

Quoted

(and the full Q4 German news) to complete.

Huh? Wha...? Have I forgotten to write a news article that affects the Philippines? Better remind me if so...

Saturday, October 30th 2004, 2:03am

WARNING! WARNING!

Regardless of Andamans Aftermath progress or lack therof ;) , Filipino Q1 news will be posted first thing Monday.

Saturday, October 30th 2004, 5:54pm

Chile Q1/1925

Chile has posted for the first time.