You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, October 18th 2004, 4:35pm

THE SOUTH AFRICAN TELEGRAPH, 2st December 1924

[SIZE=3]THE SOUTH AFRICAN TELEGRAPH[/SIZE]
2st of December 1924

Pretoria. After a series of meetings with a delegation from the Government of Turkey the Ministry of Defence, represented by Minister Hijmer, announced a result yesterday noon during a press conference.

Background. As our paper reported earlier Turkey is looking for foreign assistance in improving its military to help stop the bleeding after countless military defeats. One of the main efforts is to modernize the fleet somewhat despite limited funds. Destroyers, gunboats and minesweepers would be the ships most needed. In addition to foreign purchases, Turkey is thus interested in installing a building program for small to medium sized combatants. To the latter the Government of the South African Empire now agreed after some lengthy discussion.

"In general the South African Empire is in no way interested to get involved in mediterranean affairs. We have no bussiness up there. Nevertheless we were interested in an arms deal to help fund our own modernisation programs for the Royal South African Navy and to build some minor vessels for the Turkish Navy does not mean to get involved into Turkeys foreign policy." Minister Hijmer said after a short summary about the political climate in Europe.

"The Government of Turkey and the South African Empire finally agreed on a contract to build 4 Ivy-class minesweepers for the Turkish Navy begining in 1925." the leader of the Turkish Delegation explained. "The Turkish Government expresses its deepest respect for the South African governments wish to refrain from taking part in mediterranean affairs and appreciates any assistance that can be offered. We assure the South Africans that the purchase of minesweepers is purely for defensive purposes, the great war has not been kind to our nation but it is a burden we are willing to accept as a result of our poor judgement in taking sides with the central powers. The Government of Turkey would like to express its gratefullness towards the South African Empire for helping us in this time of need."

Mr Hijmer responded "The Government of the South African Empire thanks the Turkish Government for their faith and interest in south african ship design and wishes to express that it sees no problem, political or technically, to deliver the whole batch of four minesweepers in 1925." And after a short break "We would also have sold surplus ships of the RSAN but the Cleito Treaty does not allow such action."

The ships in question will be build and delivered for an equivalent of 2520ts material (fixed price). Payment will be spread over Q1 to Q3 1925 (840ts/quarter).

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 12:53am

Surprised the Greeks haven't commented on this...

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 1:06am

Only a matter of time, I would think!!!

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 1:44am

....I would think thats why Turkey is making this particular warship purchase!

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 3:31am

Greece has no objection to Turkey acquiring warships from abroad. Although it is puzzling that she is not buying from her traditional customer, Italy. Never the less, minesweepers are defensive in nature and if Turkey's naval program became a serious threat then Greece would simply withdraw from the CT to meet the challenge.

Cheers,

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 4:42am

Perhaps Greece fears that one day she may no longer be able to issue threats to her nabours ;-)

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 4:50am

No,

Greece, worries about the hundreds of thousands of ethnic Greeks within Turkey and doesn't want them to be ethnic clensed like the Armenians were.

Cheers,

Wednesday, October 20th 2004, 10:08pm

The Armenians now have a country to call their own, the Greeks do as well, yet seem to want more territory at the expense of Turkey.

Thursday, October 21st 2004, 5:32am

Ah,

Here I go confusing WW with RL again!

Quoted

yet seem to want more territory at the expense of Turkey.

No, I want to avoid a refugee problem.

A big navy also means I don't have to join FAR or anyone else. There are other pressures than Turkey or does Turkey want to shove?

Cheers,

Thursday, October 21st 2004, 9:37pm

Not at all, all though I don't think I can say the same for my nabours ;-)

Friday, October 22nd 2004, 1:47pm

Which neighbours?

Are you speaking for Atlantis or Turkey?

Friday, October 22nd 2004, 10:11pm

Well considering Atlantis is part of FAR and just signed a non-agression pact with the SAE I would be talking Turkey!

Saturday, October 23rd 2004, 12:57am

So you are saying you'll be quitting cold Turkey....and make it a hot war eventually?

Saturday, October 23rd 2004, 12:59am

I'd be a Turkey to do that at this point in time!

Saturday, October 23rd 2004, 1:22pm

Turkey trots to Atlantis... the Greeks wonder.

Quoted

I'd be a Turkey to do that at this point in time !

The Greeks wonder about that too.

Greece is happy with the status quo and expects Turkey to treat ethnic Greeks within Turkey fairly just as Greece treats ethnic Turks fairly. Unless you want to negotiate a forced repatriation?

If Greece is to be 'Dunkirked' in Anatolia at some time then it is better to have the boats ready.

Cheers,

Saturday, October 23rd 2004, 9:54pm

Well looking at the Greek and Turkish fleets I don't think there would be a prolonged naval war. A land war is the last thing I need right now with Russia cozying up to Armenia and the Greeks on my doorstep.

Turkey is also fine with the status quo, but it would still be prudent to be prepared for the worst case senario,hence the planed fortifications.