You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, March 23rd 2020, 11:46pm

Greece competition for a new rifle

Since the greek army is a bit outdate I am looking for a new rifel. A bolt action rifle. In futer an automatic rifle competition could may appear and the winner of this one would have priority.

The specification are open to allow as much desings as posible but the 7.5x55 7.92x57 are higly recomended to match the greek allies.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 12:09am

At this point in time, the bolt action rifle is decidedly obsolescent for Wesworld militaries, most having advanced to the semi-automatic rifle and some choosing to adopt select-fire automatic or assault rifles.

Yugoslavia is in a position to provide sizable quantities of its M43 service rifle - a proven semi-automatic rifle, immediately. Details of which can be found here. It is chambered for the 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser) cartridge.

As an alternative Germany would submit its Maschinenkarabiner G6, a thoroughly modern assault rifle chambered for the 7.92x45mm intermediate cartridge. Details may be found here.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 12:23am

Oh thanks. Then the competition will change to semiauto. The Asault rifle is going to be concider in relative small numbers since the actual state of the greek army is by far outdate and I will stablish other competitions soon as well as new desings. :)

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 12:46am

Greece's arms industry is well-enough developed that, at least for small arms, you have plenty of native capacity without necessarily looking to the outside. A few years ago, Greece actually started production of the EPK Pyrkal "machine gun"; this is one of the proto-assault rifles out there in history. The Pyrkal is definitely still a light machine gun and not a true assault rifle due to weight and construction, and it's probably rather expensive due to the machining requirements. That said, the 7.92x36 mm EPK cartridge is arguably one of the better intermediate cartridges.

Probably one of your best options, at this point, is to ask for FN FAL, AK-47 and G6 variants chambered for 7.92x36 EPK, and evaluate them for local Greek production.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 1:11am

Yes and I am evalueting what desing. It´s not a short list (from pistols to tanks). A native desing sounds good. The real problem wit new desing is that the in game Grece had´t done almost any big advances. So the most are going to be native versions or are going to requiaire some investigation. mean whiel I want some modern wepons to defend my self and to prove the new type of gun.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 3:07am

Yes and I am evalueting what desing. It´s not a short list (from pistols to tanks). A native desing sounds good. The real problem wit new desing is that the in game Grece had´t done almost any big advances. So the most are going to be native versions or are going to requiaire some investigation. mean whiel I want some modern wepons to defend my self and to prove the new type of gun.

I believe France delivered a sizeable number of Char-6D light tanks to the Greek Army back in the early 1940s. These obviously are light tanks (18 metric tons) and lightly armoured, but they suited the rough Greek terrain pretty well. If the Greeks want more - or if they'd like an accompanying medium tank - France would be pretty happy to arrange some follow-on deliveries.

The Greeks also have a fairly decent aircraft industry, and both the British and French have sold aircraft to Greece in recent years.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 4:27am

I haven´t evaluete the tanks yet but a new medium tank is something in witch I would be interested. For the moment I will focus on infantry wepons while I concider the more hevy equipment. The offer is really well aprecieted.
About the airforce. Yees it look´s decent so is probably going to be my last focus.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 11:57am

I haven´t evaluete the tanks yet but a new medium tank is something in witch I would be interested. For the moment I will focus on infantry wepons while I concider the more hevy equipment. The offer is really well aprecieted.
About the airforce. Yees it look´s decent so is probably going to be my last focus.

Speaking of aircraft, among Greece's last acquisitions were 115 examples of the Soko Orao fighter from Yugoslavia. I do not know if your predecessor left that in his encyclopedia entries.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 3:22pm

Yes there it is but thanks for the link. The Soko Orao don't looks bad at all but I will have to make some comparison to be sure.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 5:06pm

Yes there it is but thanks for the link. The Soko Orao don't looks bad at all but I will have to make some comparison to be sure.

Greece's state aircraft manufacturer, KEA, also produces under license the French-designed Morane-Saulnier MS.660 Aquilon, a light combat jet. The description has more details. It's primarily set up as a two seat advanced trainer, but is versatile enough that it can serve as a ground-attack aircraft or even pinch-hit as a fighter.

Up to this point in the sim, the Greeks have largely shopped for aircraft from Britain, with France and recently Yugoslavia coming in to offer some alternatives.

Tuesday, March 24th 2020, 6:12pm

Thanks for the info. I will check it.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 10:20am

Details of the FN FAL can be found here.

If you need details of anything Argentine, British, Dutch or Belgian, drop me a PM or just ask here.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 5:29pm

Mmmmm. Would be FN able to deliver big numbers of the FAL quickly? Depending of this I may choose to select it or request some test guns to prove it with different cartridges to be produced under license for assault rifles purposes. In this last option, the FAL would compete with the G6.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 5:58pm

I should think that production can be arranged fairly quickly.

It has been fully tested for 6.5x51 FAR, 7x43 British and 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser, so some modifications and testing for 7.5x55 and 7.92x57 would be necessary but there would be no fundamental problems with this and could be arranged easily. If anything FN likes the idea as it would widen its appeal to even more markets using these rounds.
If Greece wants to do comparative trials against the G6 then FN are happy for that to happen and are confident in their product. Licence-production can be discussed too.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 6:46pm

The Cartridge in cuestion would be the 7.92x33 EPK or an improved version of the cartridge.The objective is look for a reduced recoil with a smaller cartridge. The 7.92x57 also would be desirable. Other possible cartridge is the 7x43 british.
For the G9 would apply the same rules except that instead of the 7x43 british would be desire a 7.92x45mm. Since it´s barrel is shorted than the FAL a longer one is permitted in order of minimize the recoil on the 7.92x57.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 9:09pm

It has been fully tested for 6.5x51 FAR, 7x43 British and 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser, so some modifications and testing for 7.5x55 and 7.92x57 would be necessary but there would be no fundamental problems with this and could be arranged easily. If anything FN likes the idea as it would widen its appeal to even more markets using these rounds.

Mm... if I might be permitted to offer my unsolicited opinion, chambering the FN FAL for 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.92x57 Mauser may be possible, but the results are going to be decidedly mediocre at best. The weight of the rifle will increase dramatically, while the strain on the mechanism will go up. It's not going to be quite as bad weight-wise as, say, a BAR, but it's definitely going the wrong direction. I'd recommend building a few test examples just to show how you can ruin a really good rifle...

:P

Since relatively little is known about the 7.92x36 EPK round, I can't give many opinions about its performance. I'd guess it's similar to the 7.92x33 Kurz round in performance. I personally feel the 7.92x33 Kurz was too light for the job, and the 7.92x36 EPK might end up on that same part of the spectrum. I'd say the 7x43 British (.280 British) is probably just about perfect balance of all of the various factors currently in play. The 6.5x51 Nemesis (6.5 FAR) is right at the top end for what I'd consider desirable for the FAL. The 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser is... probably pushing the boundaries.

If this is of any interest to Greece, the Bulgarian Army is currently evaluating the FN SAFN-49 in 7.5x55mm Swiss (their current cartridge), the FN FAL in both British .280 and 6.5x51mm Nemesis, the Mauser-Werke Maschinenkarabiner 06 with the 7.92x45mm round, and the Russian AK-47 in 6.5x51 Nemesis. That said, the Bulgarian Army has a fairly large number of semi-auto STPR-36 and STPR-42 rifles in stock, so their urgency to make a quick decision is very low.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 9:48pm

Quoted

Mm... if I might be permitted to offer my unsolicited opinion, chambering the FN FAL for 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.92x57 Mauser may be possible, but the results are going to be decidedly mediocre at best. The weight of the rifle will increase dramatically, while the strain on the mechanism will go up. It's not going to be quite as bad weight-wise as, say, a BAR, but it's definitely going the wrong direction. I'd recommend building a few test examples just to show how you can ruin a really good rifle...
That is why I ask for it. Imagin the guy that have to control the fire of that. :D
Well also because a thout that an intent of standarization inside the faction should be tried at least.

About the bulgarian trials... I will keep an eye on it.

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 10:00pm

From the little I know of the FAL I would tend to agree with your analysis. The FAL chambered for the 7.65mm Belgian cartridge would kick as much or more than the 7.62mm NATO, and chambering it for 8mm Mauser would definitely prevent the rifle from being fired accurately in anything like a select-fire mode. The 7.92x45 Mauser cartridge might work, but I'm no expert.

For an example of the issues, take a look at this video on shooting the Soviet AVS36, here

Thursday, March 26th 2020, 10:11pm

Thanks for the video of jesus. Now I am imagining how ended up the poor shoulder of Ian.

Friday, March 27th 2020, 5:42pm

Well it can be restricted to single shot I guess like the OTL British FALs.