You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, September 15th 2019, 12:52am

And now for something entirely different...

You can find the strangest things on YouTube. A sales promotional from Bofors anyone?

Monday, September 16th 2019, 1:01am

Shades of Jacques Cousteau

I recall that at least one of our members posted news regarding experiments in underwater exploration. This US Navy video might be of interest to him and to others.

Tuesday, September 17th 2019, 4:03am

How did they do that?

Have you ever wondered how the Swedish 40mm Bofors came to become a standard piece of US ordnance?

Well, here is a part of the answer.

Thursday, September 19th 2019, 12:03am

Heavy, Super Heavy, Monster?

A look at historical French heavy and super heavy tanks and proposed designs, from the Great War, the 1920s, and the 1930s.

Thursday, September 19th 2019, 12:05am

Oriental Mysteries

And an often-overlooked subject, Battleships and Cruisers of China, 1880-1945

Thursday, September 19th 2019, 8:48am

RE: Oriental Mysteries

And an often-overlooked subject, Battleships and Cruisers of China, 1880-1945

My ships :P

Nice video :thumbsup:

Wednesday, September 25th 2019, 9:49pm

Siamese Battleships??

Well, not exactly, but you don't see much about the Royal Thai Navy in the period of the Second World War.

Taccovert4, this is in your honor. :D

Wednesday, September 25th 2019, 10:14pm

Ive always had a soft spot for the Thonburis, lots of firepower in a small package. The US Marines could certainly use a modern version of them.

Monday, November 11th 2019, 12:46pm

Hawker Hurricane Retrospective

This popped up in my YouTube feed this morning, probably prompted by Remembrance/Veterans Day. I suspect though it will be appreciated by our members.

Saturday, December 14th 2019, 3:19pm

On the subject of Landing Ships Tank

I came across a wartime film on the construction and outfitting of US LSTs. Thought it might be of interest, as it shows them being built inland and taken down the Mississippi.

Sunday, December 15th 2019, 8:58am

RE: On the subject of Landing Ships Tank

I came across a wartime film on the construction and outfitting of US LSTs. Thought it might be of interest, as it shows them being built inland and taken down the Mississippi.

Thats interesting. My paternal Grandfather served on LSTs and did spend a little time with some ships under construction, but in Portland. I also realized I didn't share it here but I recently came into a bunch of his wartime service documents. Including what looks to be a copy of the ship's log from early 44 to early 46. Link for those interested.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Wednesday, December 18th 2019, 9:43am

That is a very interesting document, thank you for sharing it with us.

Wednesday, December 18th 2019, 5:40pm

The 25-pounder Gun-Howitzer

A Kiwi tribute to the real world's backbone of the British Army in the Second World War. Short but sweet.

Enjoy.

Tuesday, December 31st 2019, 9:12pm

A video record of the 1949 Farnborough Air Show. No doubt Schellenburg was in the audience... 8)

Wednesday, January 1st 2020, 12:20pm

A good find!
Hehe Schellenburg would be, so would his watchers watching him watching the show! ;)

Wednesday, January 15th 2020, 9:53am

Industrial technology is often glossed over. This Curtiss Wright video from 1942 gives some idea of what stands behind the final product.

Wednesday, January 22nd 2020, 1:05am

In this age of supertanker and Panmax bulkers, we often forget the role still played by small cargo vessels in carrying raw materials around Europe, particularly from the British Isles. I stumbled upon a video of a small bulk carrier Lady Hester,arriving at the port of Fowey in the west of England, to load china clay.

Wednesday, January 29th 2020, 3:06pm

Refueling at sea is something that frequently features in our news stories. This video is modern, but it gives a good picture of what all is involved.

Friday, February 7th 2020, 7:25pm

We have all heard how it was planned, but this is the first video I've come across to illustrate using the autobahn as a runway,. And an interesting set of aircraft is shown in use - Phantoms, F-16 Falcons, Alpha Jets, Jaguars, Transalls, and even C-130 Hercules.

Monday, February 10th 2020, 5:21am

Not surprising, its an excellent idea to try and use civilian infrastructure as during wartime it gives the military more flexibility and forces the enemy to look for assets rather than already knowing where they are.