You are not logged in.

Wednesday, March 13th 2019, 1:23pm

Preliminary Profile - Empresa Nacional de Aviación T-27 Tapaculo Advanced Training Aircraft

Empresa Nacional de Aviación T-27 Tapaculo Advanced Training Aircraft

In September 1948 the Ministry of National Defense has directed the Empresa Nacional de Aviación to commence design studies for a new advanced training aircraft for the Fuerza Aérea del Perú, with an initial concept presented to the Ministry in February 1949. Under the designation T-27 the proposed aircraft emerged as an all-metal low-wing cantilever monoplane with retractable tailwheel landing gear. It featured an enclosed cockpit with a raised canopy for a pupil and instructor in tandem.

General characteristics

Crew: two (pupil, instructor)
Length: 9.50 meters
Wingspan: 13 meters
Height: 2.65 meters
Empty weight: 2,240 kg
Gross weight: 2,860 kg
Powerplant: One Pratt & Whitney R-1340-S3H1 Wasp 9-cylinder radial piston engine rated at 610 hp

Performance

Maximum speed: 370 kph
Range: 1,900 kilometers
Service ceiling: 6,800 meters

Armament (optional)

Underwing hard points for two pods each with one 7.65mm FN-Browning machinegun and 200 rounds of ammunition and up to four 25 kg bombs for weapons training or light attack duties.

Wednesday, March 13th 2019, 1:29pm

Looks good.
I guess Peru could have brought similar designs easily enough, but for building up a home industry this is a good starter alongside ENA's civil designs.

Wednesday, March 13th 2019, 3:23pm

Looks good.
I guess Peru could have brought similar designs easily enough, but for building up a home industry this is a good starter alongside ENA's civil designs.

Combination of factors - I don't like buying from myself if I can avoid it; those countries actively exporting kit have shown little interest in the Peruvian market (for one reason or others); and Peru is still trying to rebuild its aero industry after all the bomb damage inflicted during the Andean War.

Wednesday, March 13th 2019, 4:28pm

What bomb damage? I don't think any of the combatants actually bombed Peru's (small) aero industry.

Wednesday, March 13th 2019, 5:05pm

What bomb damage? I don't think any of the combatants actually bombed Peru's (small) aero industry.

I vaguely recall a news item about Peru's aircraft factory being 'blitzed' at some point. Afraid I can recall the exact details. I may of course be off base.

Saturday, March 16th 2019, 8:56am

During the Leticia conflict Colombian and Atlantean bombers focused on the airfield and naval station at Iquitos in an effort to lessen the possibility of counter attacks when liberating Leticia.

Friday, March 22nd 2019, 12:49am

I vaguely recall a news item about Peru's aircraft factory being 'blitzed' at some point. Afraid I can recall the exact details. I may of course be off base.

I did go back and check the official news thread. There was one land-based and one carrier-based air raid on Lima and Callao, but both of them targeted warships in Callao harbor and a few military land targets; any wartime damage to civilian or military industry would have been accidental, and none was noted in the original posts.

Friday, March 22nd 2019, 9:55am

Was it just a careless worker leaning on the side of the wobbly tin hut again during his fag break? :D