You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 5:18am

Presidential Elections! - Petrograd Post - 19 September 1924

Yes, the politically-driven "Silly Season" is beginning in Russia too...

By Russian Constitution of 18 June 1917, six-year Presidential term of Aleksandr Kerensky concludes on 31 December 1924. President Kerensky had some remarks on the occasion of the beginning of political campaign to select his successor.

"I remember well paralysis which had decended upon Russia when I came to power. Military situation was grave, while politically and socially, situation in our country was even worse: Petrograd was without food or fuel. Nicholas II had abdicated, and Grand Prince Michael Romanov had refused his brother's offer of Tsar's crown.

Now, Russian economy is stable, and the products of wells of Baku and Perm, as well as products of Ukraine's rich lands increase Russia's wealth. Peasants have land, factories have employment, and workers have pensions and increasing wages. Russia is at peace. Providence has smiled upon Russia. There are clouds on the horizon, especially over the Pacific Ocean. However, nowhere is situation as tense as it was in 1914. And I am fully confident that my sucessor will be as fortunate as I have been in developments affecting Russia during his term."

Already, several prominent politicians have announced their candidacy for President:

V.P. Ryabushinsky, Industrialist.

P.M. Miliukov, Member of Duma, Constitutional Democrats Party

J. Martov, Member of Duma, Russian Social Democratic Workers Party

V.I. Lenin, Member of Duma, Russian Social Democratic Workers Party - Bolshevik

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 2:56pm

Il Mundo

This newspaper wishes V.P. Ryabushinsky all the best to win the election.

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 3:11pm

Quoted

This newspaper wishes V.P. Ryabushinsky all the best to win the election.

Perhaps a few unfortunate "accidents" can assure victory for V.P. Ryabushinsky.
:-)

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 3:13pm

The Filipinos also wish Señor Ryabushinsky the best in the coming election.

Two OOC comments:
1. Did you call a Russian "Comrade" before the Revolution?
2. Why do I get the feeling that Admiral K has...plans...regarding the last name on that list? :-P

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 3:27pm

1: god no! Gospodin would be correct whereas Tovarichtch would get you arrested quite quickly ...

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 9:36pm

Quoted

1. Did you call a Russian "Comrade" before the Revolution?

It was fairly common among parties of the Left.

Quoted

2. Why do I get the feeling that Admiral K has...plans...regarding the last name on that list? :-P

Duma Member Vladimir Il'lich Lenin (a psuedonym for Ulianov) leads a small splinter group of the Russian Social Democratic Workers Party. He is something of an orator, a considerable economic analyst, and a skilled and determined organizer. But peace in March 1917 seems to have deprived him of his best political issue. The odds are long against him.

But we shall see.

Sunday, September 26th 2004, 9:43pm

Nice to see the Russians are joining Atlantis in the game of "Political sillyness".