You are not logged in.

Saturday, January 19th 2019, 7:20am

The Gyrodyne is not intended to be deployed, actually, but the facilities to allow one to operate from the quarterdeck still exist. The aft directors have existed since the ship was built, and the armament has not been reduced all that much, really, and I assume the 5.5" and AA suite still need direction.

The setup and fit is as elaborate and complex mostly because the ship is unusually well suited to support it; any other ship would require extensive structural alterations (turret and barbette adjustments, for example, plus new deckhouses) or be new construction, while the large hangar and empty spaces aft make all this rather convenient.

Going all the way back to the RCN's pursuit of automation for it's 5.5" arsenal, Canada's doctrine has always been to push concepts as close to viability as they can on initial deployment, even if the technology will take time to mature. Will it be able to ripple-fire it's entire magazine during it's shakedown cruise? Of course not. But for now it has redundant equipment in case of failures, and alternative methods available to test.

It's also an economic consideration; it's cheaper to put the ship out with all this equipment at once, than a series of sequential refits. Ever since I ended up with this ship from Oz, I viewed it as a ship that would be constantly refitted as a testbed, but our economic rules have made me limit how often I actually refit it.

Sunday, January 20th 2019, 6:18am

If cost is an issue why not simply convert a large merchant ship with lots of deck space to test missile systems? As an example Atlantis is converting its old airship tenders to test various missiles turning "white elephants" into "useful engines".

Sunday, January 20th 2019, 8:00am

Of the white elephants I have laying around, PEI is the whitest and elephantist.

Well, except for Viscount Byng.

Sunday, January 20th 2019, 8:50am

At first glance Viscount Byng would make a half decent platform but her age might be an issue. I've thought about converting the Training carrier Sibony into a test ship for ballistic and "cruise" missiles, her flat top is ideal but her age is a bit of a concern. It does make her expendable though.

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 6:24am

First pass on HMCS Invidious

Island still needs some work to make it less Yorktown-y, despite my attachment to it.

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 10:53am

Looks good. The funnel is a bit massive, maybe try something like Midway's funnel?

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 6:50pm

Like I said, the island still needs work. I spent a surprising amount of time just getting the main hull and all those details arranged in a way I was mostly satisfied with, and wanted to take a break from it

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 7:45pm

Looks nice but...

When comparing the sim to the image, the length (oa) should be ~955 ft although it has no effect on the ship itself other than making it look more correct.

The ship's draught in the image is ~25.5 ft and not 28 feet. Also forward castle length looks to be about 15.5% and not the 40% simmed.

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 8:07pm

I don't think there's a way of indicating the type of stern overhang RN carriers had in springsharp. The length is determined entirely by ship's structure, whereas those overhangs are superstructure.

Draught is an artifact of using the Tenacious as source material and forgetting to adjust, I'll fix that. Similarly, the 40% forecastle is the same percentages used for the Tenacious, which is odd, since both are supposed to be open-hangar designs.

Sunday, February 3rd 2019, 9:29pm

While not correct, I usually include the length of the flight deck just so I know how long it is in total.

On the image are three lines.
- Blue is the freeboard as simmed.
- Green is what I kinda expected the freeboard to be.
- Red is what I think that the length (oa) would be as that is probably what you normally want to keep in mind when docking as well as the berth required for the ship when in port.