You are not logged in.

Saturday, February 17th 2018, 6:18pm

Talons 1948?

Is there interest in a possible revival of the Talons event?

If so, should it be much as before; e.g. national teams, mix of endurance, flying proficiency and combat activities or should it focus on certain aspects?
There would probably be piston and jet classes, also a twin-engine piston class.
Perhaps the scope for larger teams is there to make things more cost effective and allow more types to be sent.

An event, if it goes ahead, would be run in Summer 1948 (for the south!!) so November/December time. Maybe not the capital but somewhere further south to allow use of Patagonian airspace for larger areas and increased safety.

Please let me know your thoughts and interest.

Saturday, February 17th 2018, 10:53pm

The original format worked out just fine I think. Using those three classes makes sense. Maybe some mini prizes for each individual event.

I'd love to see it return to Wesworld, though it is unlikely that the Japanese will participate. The Travesty of '34 was the main reason Japan stopped going. The public wasn't really impressed by the fact that the Japanese Military decided to continue to go to the events after 1934. Numerous politicians weren't too happy either and eventually the funding for sending a team to Argentina was permanently scrapped from the 1939 budget. The Japanese might consider returning if Argentina were to correct the injustices of 1934.

Saturday, February 17th 2018, 11:31pm

I agree that the original format seems to work just fine, if it ain't broke don't fix it. That said I'm sure there is some new type of event's, awards ect. that could be added. Perhaps awards for the best looking aircraft as voted by the participants or something of that nature.

Saturday, February 17th 2018, 11:38pm

Quoted

Perhaps awards for the best looking aircraft as voted by the participants or something of that nature.

Yes. Some gold figurine for the best looking aircraft, a gold brush for the best paint job, a lead turd for the worst looking aircraft and a lead broken brush for the worst paint job. :)

Saturday, February 17th 2018, 11:45pm

.....then again, some of the Canadian aircraft would (IMO) have the monopoly on "worst looking aircraft" and as such an unfair advantage!

Sunday, February 18th 2018, 12:03am

True... I feel Hood needs to take action though as he needs to defend his title of "Ugly Aircraft, Inc". :D

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 9:54pm

meanwhile, deep within the mysterious Canadas

Monday, February 26th 2018, 8:40pm

That can't be Canadian. It's not ugly. :D

Monday, February 26th 2018, 10:34pm

They also clearly have American markings.... :P

Tuesday, February 27th 2018, 12:22am

They also clearly have American markings.... :P

Obviously an attempt to obfuscate their true origins!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, July 25th 2018, 3:03am

Talons 1948 still an option?

Hi. I always loved your Talons stories. It would be much appreciated if there is a chance for another run.
Bad news for the SAE is, I never fleshed out what would be after 1944/1945 and what jets would be available in detail.

If there is a chance for SAE planes to be part of the story, this is what I can come up with:
- Single Piston Engine: A well prepared JFM F-12K Super Sparrow with some polished surface, shiny silver, and high octan fuel to get a little bit of extra boost could be a competitor from the SAE. It`s a late 1944 design but most likely the fasted piston engine fighter ever produced for the RSAF.
- Single Jet Engine: deBroek FJ-5 or JFM FJ-6 - depending on what you would accept... (details see below)
- Double Piston Engine: Not fleshed out, no idea... Most likely nothing that could compete in 1948...

Info on Jets from old files I could find:
The deBroek FJ-5 Falcon - Replacement for FJ-3 Eagle, likewise featuring axial-flow turbojet and side inlets (Base specs on F9F Panther). The deBroek FJ-3 Eagle is a fighter jet with single axial-flow turbojet and side inlets (base specs on F6U Pirate).
- April 7, 1946: The first deBroek FJ-3 enters service, three months after the ostensibly-later FJ-4. RSAF pilots remain unenthusiastic about the FJ-3 through its short career; deBroek continues working on a replacement.
- August 11, 1946: The deBroek FJ-5, replacement for the FJ-3, makes a first flight. The FJ-5 is powered by a prototype of the improved EHR.03b / LMF Matabele II engine. While raw performance statistics are only marginally improved over the earlier FJ-3, the FJ-5 is more manoeuvrable, less maintenance-intensive, carries a higher payload and is significantly easier for pilots to fly. For the RSAN a version with folding wings is projected, dubbed FJ-5N.
The EHR.03b enters production as LMF Matabele II at 24kN (5,400lbf) in April 1947 and can be considered a much improved BMW 003 clone.

The JFM FJ-6 Hawk – Single engine fighter with single centrifugal-flow turbojet and nose inlet as follow-on to FJ-4 (FJ-6 look and base specs from Saab J29). The JFM FJ-4 was also a single-engine fighter with single centrifugal-flow turbojet and nose inlet (base specs on Gloster E.1/44 or North American FJ-1 Fury, picture of Bell X-5 with He162 wings probably).
- March 14, 1947: The JFM FJ-6 is taken to first flight, powered by the Stuart Zulu (VB.04) engine. Based on experience with the FJ-4 JFM incorporated many lessons learnt. The FJ-6 also makes heavy use of the latest results from high speed wind-tunnel tests. She is the first RSAF fighter with a swept-back wing of 25° and the first to make full use of the Area Rule.
- June 1947: The RSAF orders a first batch of 300 FJ-6. However, flight tests result in some design modifications that delay start of production and entry into service until late 1948.
- October 1947: The deBroek FJ-5 enters service with the RSAF.
- May 1948: The RSAN receives their first FJ-5N. They differ from their RSAF cousins by using upward-folding wings, tail hook, strengthened undercarriage and modified radio set.
- November 1948: The first series production FJ-6 are delivered and taken into service. It features the latest version of the VB.04 centrifugal flow engine, now called Stuart Zulu. It is a substantially improved centrifugal engine design drawing on the lineage of the VB.03 / Rayton Swazi. However, the engine design would be built by Stuart Ltd. from 1947 onwards as the Zulu. The Zulu features approximately 2/5ths more power than the Rayton Swazi and provides 22,24kN or 5,000 lbf of thrust (base specs on Rolls Royce Nene/DH Ghost).

Hope this is not too far off the mark. Let me know if you can work with this....
(Please note the above has been put together with much help years ago - real world years, that is. ;o). If it does not fit aircraft development in WesWorld anymore, please just ignore.)

Wednesday, July 25th 2018, 2:35pm

Hey Hoo, good to hear from you.
The option for Talons is still there, sadly as you can probably see things are very quiet here these days so the scope is less than it was.
Even if we could get ten teams together it would be a major accomplishment.

The info is most useful though.