You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, January 5th 2018, 11:16am

Dismantling infrastructure

I can't recall if we ever firmly discussed dismantling infrastructure with the purpose of moving it to another port, I do recall it being mentioned before but there was never a consensus?

Monday, January 8th 2018, 12:19pm

No comments?

Monday, January 8th 2018, 2:44pm

Moved thread to Meeting Place for comments.

Monday, January 8th 2018, 2:45pm

Merging the three different threads:
For some reason I can reply to the original Dismantling infrastructure thread in the Rules section, perhaps only mods can post there?

Anyhow, I've looked back and found a couple of threads where it was mentioned about dismantling spare infrastructure to sell for IP but nothing about dismantling it to move it.
There was I think some discussion from years back when the sim was still new about moving factories but that was deemed too complicated.

I guess moving a slip would be easier than a dry dock (obviously floating docks don't count), but I guess there should be some IP cost in disassembling and re-assembling.

Monday, January 8th 2018, 2:46pm

Wes posed a question over in the Rules and Admin Folder on the subject. Alas, we non-admins cannot post replies over there. So I will put my two-cents here.

My personal recollection is that this has happened only once before, where someone (Brock?) had asked the player-base regarding the relocation of infrastructure from a place that really was not a port (it dated far back into the past of WW) to one that was. IIRC, the infrastructure in question had never been used for construction or repair, and thus had no real impact on game history.

As a general premise, I would not support dismantling of infrastructure and its immediate reconstruction in another place. However, if you have a specific situation in mind and can give good reason for the shift such an action could be considered on a case by case basis - though I personally would need a bit of convincing.

Monday, January 8th 2018, 3:10pm

Bruce is correct in remembering my requests to move some infrastructure. There were two occasions:
- In Chile, there were a few slips placed in Mejillones, a town that had no shipbuilding industry and no protected harbor - just a beach that was only suited for small open fishing boats. I asked and received permission to move those slips down to Valdivia, where there are actual shipbuilding facilities in real life; but none had been placed there when the game started.
- In France, a few drydocks were placed on a very remote island that had no population, had no sheltered harbor, and was ringed by cliffs and deep water on all sides. I asked and received permission to move them to Djibouti, which was the next closest French territory.

And a while later, Hrolf asked if we could sell infrastructure for IP or tonnage. This proved to be a pretty in-depth discussion, but in the end I we decided that we shouldn't permit it to be sold off for tonnage. I don't think we ever made any firm decision regarding selling it off for IP, however - and I am in favor of that, within reason.

I think in the two cases I brought forward above, if anyone else wants to request an exception, I think we should evaluate things on an individual basis.

I think a reasonable compromise might be to allow for up to 5 IP worth of slips or drydocks to be relocated per year, with a fee of 0.1 IP per 1 IP moved. Maybe anything more than that limit can have a 0.2 / 1 IP fee limit. This would allow some flexibility for those players that want or need to reorganize something, but keep it reasonable and prevent things just being moved willy-nilly for free.

Monday, January 8th 2018, 3:26pm

I think a reasonable compromise might be to allow for up to 5 IP worth of slips or drydocks to be relocated per year, with a fee of 0.1 IP per 1 IP moved. Maybe anything more than that limit can have a 0.2 / 1 IP fee limit. This would allow some flexibility for those players that want or need to reorganize something, but keep it reasonable and prevent things just being moved willy-nilly for free.

I could see this as a reasonable compromise, though I think it better to approve it on a case-by-case basis. The slippery slope I see leads to the 'used infrastructure market' and the swapping of infrastructure between colonies and Metropole, and vice versa.