You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, October 5th 2017, 1:16am

My Latest Acquisition

Nerd warning here. I’ve been on a book-buying spree. One of the most recent batch arrived today.

“The Liberty Ships” by L.A. Sawyer and W.H. Mitchell has been on my search list for a long time. Sub-titled “The History of the ‘Emergency’ type Cargo ships constructed in the United States during the Second World War” the book is just that. Besides a history of the building program, and drawings of the principal Liberty sub-types, the book has thumbnail histories of each of the shipyards involved (all were established for the program and faded away after the war) and a complete list of the ships built by each yard and their subsequent fates.

The book is part of a series which includes British standard ships of the First World War as well as the Empire ships of the Second World War. While abbreviated, having a complete listing of Liberties makes the book a valuable reference if you are into things nautical.

Thursday, October 5th 2017, 1:06pm

Sounds an interesting book, and indeed an interesting series.