You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 6:46am

Touring USS Cod

As last Monday was a holiday, my wife and I had a spare day to do... well, whatever we wanted. Theoretically, that probably should have been yardwork, but we typically enjoy driving various places to see scenery or various other things. Although we had discussed where we wished to drive, we hadn't hit on anything that really tickled our fancy...

But then I remembered, 'Hm - Cleveland's about four hours drive away, and I think they've got an old WWII submarine... don't remember which one it is. Dear, would you like to spend our holiday to drive to Cleveland...?"

So we did. The submarine, as it turns out, is the USS Cod. Now, there are a few old WWII fleet boats still existing around the US as museums, but Cod is special. Cod is the last American WWII submarine which remains in its original condition - i.e., it didn't get any of the the Guppy upgrades. Nor did the museum cut pieces out of the boat to allow for handicapped or wheelchair access.

It turns out, by the way, that Cleveland is an absolutely terrible place to go on Labor Day holiday, because right next door to the USS Cod museum is an airport. An airport which hosts, over Labor Day weekend... the Cleveland airshow. Oh yes, and the Cleveland Browns stadium is on the OTHER side of the museum, with just a little Coast Guard base in between. So we and ten thousand other people descended upon the shore of Lake Erie, clogging up all the parking lots for miles around. But since everybody was there for the airshow, it turned out the submarine wasn't very crowded at all. But that was quite alright with me.

And it turns out our timing was outstanding. As we went up the gangway onto the main deck, everybody over at the airport starts whoopin' and hollerin' like they know something might be up. Turns out 'something up' was the Thunderbirds display team taking off. The main deck of the Cod is not the best seat in the house, but it was definitely the third-best, since we could see a very sizeable chunk of horizon out across Lake Erie. Walter, since I know you go to all the airshows, I tried to get a pic for you... but I didn't actually bring a camera, just my derpy little phone.

The Coast Guard icebreaking tug, by the way, is USCGC Morro Bay.

I don't have a wide enough angle of lens. Better luck next time fitting it all in...

You descend into the forward torpedo room, where sailors sleep with the fishes. All the way forward, near that little stool, is a device which sets the gyros on the torpedoes. People can talk about German wonder-weapons: this, as part of the TDC computer, was one of America's wunderwaffe.

These fishes. Specifically, the Mark 14 torpedo. Used by the US Navy until the 1970s (once they'd fixed it!)

I can't remember if the boat has one of these, or two. Either way, a high-traffic area.

The skipper's the only one who doesn't have to share a room. If you're wondering how much room he doesn't have to share, my back's against the wall and the junk on the right is also a wall. Missing from the photograph, to the lower-left, is the fold-down sink that the skipper doesn't have to share.

The boat's XO shares a room just across the passageway with two other senior officers. There are also two other three-man cabins, which are reserved for the junior officers. Ah, the luxury... No, seriously. Gato-class fleet boats are some of the largest and and most luxurious of their day.

I didn't get any good pictures of the officers' wardroom, but that's in this general vicinity. Similarly, the control room was a terrible place for pictures, because it was "rigged for red" (also known as "rigged for romance") - lit with red lights. I didn't even try for the photos with my phone.

GM diesels, made in Cleveland. Four big ones and one little one; three of them still run, and the other two are in mothballs.

Aft of the engines is a room filled with electrical equipment, along with these fancy-dancy looking levers that make the boat go faster.

Emerging from the aft hatch and looking forward. You can see the big 5" deck gun. (I think it's a 5"/L25 wet mount.) They fired a few blanks when we were there.

Now I've done a lot of reading about submarines - WWII boats, Cold War nuclear boats, even the modern boats. I'm more knowledgeable about them than the average bear. But as a downside of living in the American midwest, this is the first time I've ever actually been aboard a submarine. Here's some of the things I learned:
- Contrary to what I've been led to believe, the ceilings overhead aren't actually *that* low. I (at 6'3") was able to walk erect through the entire boat without feeling I was in imminent danger of smashing my head into something. Yes, there were some low spots... but not that many.
- Did you know that, on the Gato-class fleet boats, the control center and the attack center are not only separated, but on whole different levels? That's right - the attack center, where both periscopes are located, is in a separate compartment positioned directly over the control center (it's actually inside the sail). The control center has all the fun valves for trimming ballast, the levers for changing the planes, the wheel for steering, and the charting table for the navigator. But no periscopes in this room. HOLLYWOOD LIED TO ME.
- On only one occasion has one submarine rescued the crew of another nation's submarine. That occasion was when Cod rescued the crew of the HNLMS O-19, which managed to run herself aground in not-entirely-friendly waters. The Cod took the crew back to Australia, where the Dutch sailors threw a big party for Cod's crewmen. During the party, news arrived that the Japanese had surrendered and the war was over. As a result, along with Cod's kills marked on the side of the sail, she also has a champagne glass and the label 'O-19'.
- You never really stop to think about where they keep the cold food. There's actually a refrigerator aboard, in case you're wondering. Where? Well, the door is in the floor of the enlisted crew mess! That's right, the refrigerator is actually underneath the main deck.
- Speaking of 'under' things. The whole topside of the sub is actually a very clever sham. Above the main pressure hull, it's just a bunch of enclosed scaffolding that raises the main deck higher so the waves aren't constantly washing down the deck. As you're going down the hatches, you can really see how most of that space is just open to the elements.
- It turns out that the museum actually can't sail the submarine out on Lake Erie not because the boat's not capable (it IS capable of sailing around), but because we have a 19th century treaty with Canada that we shan't deploy warships on the Great Lakes. It seems we kinda overlooked that fact in the 1940s and 1950s when the Cod was actually a commissioned warship. Apparently the Cod's not a warship as long as she's parked, but the moment she starts motoring around, she becomes a warship again. (Rhetorical question: I distinctly remember that the Canucks have HMCS Haida on Lake Ontario - I saw her two years ago. Is she also not a warship when she's parked? The world wonders!)

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 10:40am

Sounds like you had a good day out. Can't wait to see the pictures when the links work!

As for Hollywood lying to you, I think Run Silent Ruen Deep was true to reality (probably filmed in a real sub) as Clark Gable was in the upper attack centre while Burt Lancaster was in the main control room below. So at least one film was accurate!
Hollywood have come up with some laughable control rooms over time, especially for U-Boats. The Enemy Below was a typical example, every time the sub surfaced or dived a giant lever in the floor had to be pulled!

Yes, the topside in most early subs was a free-flooding space with just gratings. I realised this when watching an old film, I think a British one this time. Probably this was why subs were hard to put out of action, depth-charges probably had little effect with all that space to vent the overpressure and back at dock any twisted plating could easily be replaced. I suspect modern subs are the same except the space is now more thoroughly sealed for streamlining and reduction of noise etc.

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 10:44am

RE: Touring USS Cod

Might this work? Removing the "?dl=0" bit at the end?
Edit: Dagnabbit, looks like Dropbox killed my links, even fixing them like the Shipbucket page said... I'm just going to take care of it tomorrow.

------

As last Monday was a holiday, my wife and I had a spare day to do... well, whatever we wanted. Theoretically, that probably should have been yardwork, but we typically enjoy driving various places to see scenery or various other things. Although we had discussed where we wished to drive, we hadn't hit on anything that really tickled our fancy...

But then I remembered, 'Hm - Cleveland's about four hours drive away, and I think they've got an old WWII submarine... don't remember which one it is. Dear, would you like to spend our holiday to drive to Cleveland...?"

So we did. The submarine, as it turns out, is the USS Cod. Now, there are a few old WWII fleet boats still existing around the US as museums, but Cod is special. Cod is the last American WWII submarine which remains in its original condition - i.e., it didn't get any of the the Guppy upgrades. Nor did the museum cut pieces out of the boat to allow for handicapped or wheelchair access.

It turns out, by the way, that Cleveland is an absolutely terrible place to go on Labor Day holiday, because right next door to the USS Cod museum is an airport. An airport which hosts, over Labor Day weekend... the Cleveland airshow. Oh yes, and the Cleveland Browns stadium is on the OTHER side of the museum, with just a little Coast Guard base in between. So we and ten thousand other people descended upon the shore of Lake Erie, clogging up all the parking lots for miles around. But since everybody was there for the airshow, it turned out the submarine wasn't very crowded at all. But that was quite alright with me.

And it turns out our timing was outstanding. As we went up the gangway onto the main deck, everybody over at the airport starts whoopin' and hollerin' like they know something might be up. Turns out 'something up' was the Thunderbirds display team taking off. The main deck of the Cod is not the best seat in the house, but it was definitely the third-best, since we could see a very sizeable chunk of horizon out across Lake Erie. Walter, since I know you go to all the airshows, I tried to get a pic for you... but I didn't actually bring a camera, just my derpy little phone.

The Coast Guard icebreaking tug, by the way, is USCGC Morro Bay.

I don't have a wide enough angle of lens. Better luck next time fitting it all in...

You descend into the forward torpedo room, where sailors sleep with the fishes. All the way forward, near that little stool, is a device which sets the gyros on the torpedoes. People can talk about German wonder-weapons: this, as part of the TDC computer, was one of America's wunderwaffe.

These fishes. Specifically, the Mark 14 torpedo. Used by the US Navy until the 1970s (once they'd fixed it!)

I can't remember if the boat has one of these, or two. Either way, a high-traffic area.

The skipper's the only one who doesn't have to share a room. If you're wondering how much room he doesn't have to share, my back's against the wall and the junk on the right is also a wall. Missing from the photograph, to the lower-left, is the fold-down sink that the skipper doesn't have to share.

The boat's XO shares a room just across the passageway with two other senior officers. There are also two other three-man cabins, which are reserved for the junior officers. Ah, the luxury... No, seriously. Gato-class fleet boats are some of the largest and and most luxurious of their day.

I didn't get any good pictures of the officers' wardroom, but that's in this general vicinity. Similarly, the control room was a terrible place for pictures, because it was "rigged for red" (also known as "rigged for romance") - lit with red lights. I didn't even try for the photos with my phone.

GM diesels, made in Cleveland. Four big ones and one little one; three of them still run, and the other two are in mothballs.

Aft of the engines is a room filled with electrical equipment, along with these fancy-dancy looking levers that make the boat go faster.

Emerging from the aft hatch and looking forward. You can see the big 5" deck gun. (I think it's a 5"/L25 wet mount.) They fired a few blanks when we were there.

Now I've done a lot of reading about submarines - WWII boats, Cold War nuclear boats, even the modern boats. I'm more knowledgeable about them than the average bear. But as a downside of living in the American midwest, this is the first time I've ever actually been aboard a submarine. Here's some of the things I learned:
- Contrary to what I've been led to believe, the ceilings overhead aren't actually *that* low. I (at 6'3") was able to walk erect through the entire boat without feeling I was in imminent danger of smashing my head into something. Yes, there were some low spots... but not that many.
- Did you know that, on the Gato-class fleet boats, the control center and the attack center are not only separated, but on whole different levels? That's right - the attack center, where both periscopes are located, is in a separate compartment positioned directly over the control center (it's actually inside the sail). The control center has all the fun valves for trimming ballast, the levers for changing the planes, the wheel for steering, and the charting table for the navigator. But no periscopes in this room. HOLLYWOOD LIED TO ME.
- On only one occasion has one submarine rescued the crew of another nation's submarine. That occasion was when Cod rescued the crew of the HNLMS O-19, which managed to run herself aground in not-entirely-friendly waters. The Cod took the crew back to Australia, where the Dutch sailors threw a big party for Cod's crewmen. During the party, news arrived that the Japanese had surrendered and the war was over. As a result, along with Cod's kills marked on the side of the sail, she also has a champagne glass and the label 'O-19'.
- You never really stop to think about where they keep the cold food. There's actually a refrigerator aboard, in case you're wondering. Where? Well, the door is in the floor of the enlisted crew mess! That's right, the refrigerator is actually underneath the main deck.
- Speaking of 'under' things. The whole topside of the sub is actually a very clever sham. Above the main pressure hull, it's just a bunch of enclosed scaffolding that raises the main deck higher so the waves aren't constantly washing down the deck. As you're going down the hatches, you can really see how most of that space is just open to the elements.
- It turns out that the museum actually can't sail the submarine out on Lake Erie not because the boat's not capable (it IS capable of sailing around), but because we have a 19th century treaty with Canada that we shan't deploy warships on the Great Lakes. It seems we kinda overlooked that fact in the 1940s and 1950s when the Cod was actually a commissioned warship. Apparently the Cod's not a warship as long as she's parked, but the moment she starts motoring around, she becomes a warship again. (Rhetorical question: I distinctly remember that the Canucks have HMCS Haida on Lake Ontario - I saw her two years ago. Is she also not a warship when she's parked? The world wonders!)

Sunday, September 10th 2017, 1:22pm

Quoted

Walter, since I know you go to all the airshows, I tried to get a pic for you... but I didn't actually bring a camera, just my derpy little phone.

Well, if I actually could, I would go to all the airshows... but unfortunately that is not really possible when you work.

... and don't be like all those other brainless phonezombies and rely on the crappy camera in the phone! Be prepared and always take a proper camera with you. :D

Quoted

Don't know. I have a Sigma 10-20mm ultra-wide angle zoom lens and I think I might even have struggled with that...

... but the way to do it is to take multiple photos and then with post processing stitch the photos together.

This is one example taken wity my dad's old E-330 back in 2007. There was no space to get the whole image in the viewfinder and I had no wide angle lens for the camera so a few photos of the whole image and then stitch them together...

+

+

=

Another slightly more extreme example from 2006 created by stitching 4 photos together (taken with Kodak DX6440)...

... but it is a lot easier when the camera can do it for you though it is a bit more limited when it comes to image dimensions (from 2012 with my Sony HX-20V)...

... so for next time, take multiple photos with your phone and stitch them together...

...or take a proper camera along. :D

Quoted

I (at 6'3") was able to walk erect through the entire boat without feeling I was in imminent danger of smashing my head into something. Yes, there were some low spots... but not that many.

Guess it is different from the frigate HMS Unicorn where I (~6') was standing straight with the ceiling about an inch or so above my head and this huge beam right in front of my face. :)

Quoted

Did you know that, on the Gato-class fleet boats, the control center and the attack center are not only separated, but on whole different levels? That's right - the attack center, where both periscopes are located, is in a separate compartment positioned directly over the control center (it's actually inside the sail). The control center has all the fun valves for trimming ballast, the levers for changing the planes, the wheel for steering, and the charting table for the navigator. But no periscopes in this room.

Looking quickly around at a few drawings from u-boats, I got the impressing that it is the same with the Type XXI, but the type VII image showed one to be in the CT while the other is in the control room...

Quoted

HOLLYWOOD LIED TO ME.

Old news. Hollywood always lies. Germans using American tanks in WW2, surviving a nuclear blast by hiding in a lead-lined fridge, Americans doing things that in reality other nations did (*), and that Americans are heroes and everyone else are the bad guys. *takes cover in the trenches* :D

(*) I won't be at all surprised to see movies come out where American Warships sink the Bismarck or American bombers bomb the Tirpitz or where American soldiers beat back the Germans at Stalingrad.

Monday, September 11th 2017, 4:29am

Thanks, Walter. I fixed the images now. :)