You are not logged in.

Thursday, July 13th 2017, 2:50pm

A list of image hosting sites courtesy of Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 10:17am

Looks like I'll be going through the list I posted. My images are now no longer viewable so, so long to Photo bucket, your usefulness has come and gone.....

Thursday, August 3rd 2017, 2:42pm

my pictures are gone

Where are all my pictures ???? What's the matter with Photobucket ? If i understand it right, photobucket wants 400$ per year for the allowness of showing the stored pictures on other websites ? The free account i have, didn't had the rights to do that ? Or am i wrong ?

So .... i have to check all the links here and make a new account on another image-hosting-website :(

Thursday, August 3rd 2017, 3:05pm

I'm afraid so, that's what I'm currently looking at doing.

Thursday, August 3rd 2017, 4:54pm

RE: my pictures are gone

Where are all my pictures ???? What's the matter with Photobucket ? If i understand it right, photobucket wants 400$ per year for the allowness of showing the stored pictures on other websites ? The free account i have, didn't had the rights to do that ? Or am i wrong ?

So .... i have to check all the links here and make a new account on another image-hosting-website :(

Yes. Unfortunately Photobucket made a decision to remove 3rd party hosting from their less-expensive packages. Since I've got so much stuff linked in WW, I chose to bite the bullet and pay them. I suspect that finding a hosting site that will be free for any length of time will be difficult. Is this a good business decision for Photobucket? I don't know. But re-hosting all the stuff I have for WW did not seem a good option to me.

Saturday, August 5th 2017, 11:15am

How much did it cost and for how long can you host 3rd party?

Saturday, August 5th 2017, 1:05pm

How much did it cost and for how long can you host 3rd party?

Their quoted price is $399 a year, and so long as you pay them, you can host 3rd party. I had been on one of their earlier payment plans, so I had an opportunity to upgrade. Not entirely happy, but I will probably keep is as long as the game runs.

Tuesday, August 8th 2017, 9:51am

You caved in! Bah, that's just what those greedy suit-wearing hipster money-grabbers want.
Oddly, some of my pictures are still showing (at least for me) but I'm thinking about just deleting my account as the links are broken for most of them now and I don't think I have much of importance.
As for my Shipbucket art, developments elsewhere are overcoming that problem.

Tuesday, August 8th 2017, 2:14pm

A list of image hosting sites courtesy of Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites
A good find there; thanks for sharing it.

I found this article

https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329

recently edited as photobucket has been removed from the list.

I chose to go with postimage.org for a couple reasons. First, they have a business model that makes sense to me. You place a thumbnail in your post and the full-sized image is seen on their site. Their revenue stream is from advertisers (below your image) so it would seem they have no motivation to begin charging as photobucket is.
The second reason is the full-sized images. No re-sizing like photobucket. When you go to the image on their site, it is full size.

I've recently deleted my photobuket account, and over on the BC board and the Own Designs board, I have been replacing images that I've moved over to postimage.org. I even replaced one of the late, great CanisD's images in a post he made years ago.

As for what photobucket has done, this article

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos…YX8#.lkOOm9b1zl

sums it up nicely. I'm not buzzfeed fan, but this line

Quoted

But this change has also done something terrible for all of us, even
people who never even had a Photobucket account: It’s completely broken
the internet. Vast swaths of blogs and personal websites from the
mid-00s are now full of missing images, replaced with a hideous error
message.
really struck home for me as CanisD site, with all his brilliant creativity, is now just a repetitive tapestry of ransom images, a ransom photobucket will never be paid.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 8th 2017, 5:38pm

Thankfully I saved some copies of Canis D's work several years ago.

Tuesday, August 8th 2017, 10:51pm

Thanks BigRich for the additional site info, that one was not listed on wiki and it sounds like something I might like to use. I agree that photo bucket's decision to charge for 3rd party hosting was a bad move, kinda like using a sledge hammer to remove old stock in a china shop. While I've seen error messages on the internet when looking for pictures I have never seen it on the scale I have since Photo bucket made this choice.
its beyond me why they would do such a drastic change instead of trying a bunch of idea's at once and see which works best on their site because clearly this one has just blown away large swaths of customer's, far more than they can pick up had they not done this. It really is sad that CanisD's work will now be lost in some Bermuda triangle and his works scattered amongst other individuals sites and computers.

Wednesday, August 9th 2017, 9:46am

I've read on other forums that Photobucket might not actually care, i.e. they might want to get out of the image host business anyway as its unprofitable. Obviously they can't afford to keep the bandwidth and server capacity going with so many images so they pull the plug and hope some folks will stump up the cash in the meantime.
I assume that's what drove all the rest to put up paywalls, the more who join Imgur the more their capacity will overload and they'll do the same. I honestly think the age of free image hosting is over. Forums and sites like Secretprojects and Shipbucket who are investing in their own hosting are the future.

Wednesday, August 9th 2017, 5:06pm

Hi Wes, Hood,

Like I said, I think postimage has a business model that makes sense. I did so a couple direct link posts when I was changing out images from photobucket over on the BC board and our Own Designs board. But most of what I've replaced has been via the thumbnail in order to preserve the 'deal' with postimage.

I posted some of CanisD's images a while back over on the Own Designs board, along with links to his stuff. For some reason, the images have not been replaced with the photobucket ransom error. That post is here

Quoted from ""Wes""

It really is sad that CanisD's work will now be lost in some Bermuda
triangle and his works scattered amongst other individuals sites and
computers.

Wes,

It has crossed my mind to create a post over on Own Designs with all the images I have from CanisD. I'd like to get thoughts from the you and the group here on the idea. You are as close to Canis' naval work as anyone.

Regards,

Saturday, August 12th 2017, 1:41pm

I think Canis D's work should be preserved since he inspired so many of our generation of ship artists and never-were ship fans. Along with Craig Burke's work (Admiral Furashita) Canis' site was a mecca for never-weres for our generation. Today it seems World of Warships has taken over than mantle and perhaps made sites like Wesworld a little archaic in comparison. Hopefully though his work could go on to inspire others.

Sunday, August 13th 2017, 2:33am

I wouldn't write off sites like this, WoW is starting to get gimmicky and coin hungry. That tends to drive away players looking for realism and fair play. When you start to hear stories of destroyers pening the citadels of battleships you know things are off. At any rate people will still need sites like this to release their creative works.

Sunday, August 13th 2017, 2:47am

I wouldn't write off sites like this, WoW is starting to get gimmicky and coin hungry. That tends to drive away players looking for realism and fair play. When you start to hear stories of destroyers pening the citadels of battleships you know things are off. At any rate people will still need sites like this to release their creative works.

I've never felt the desire to get involved in WoW, and I get my jollies watching video of the gameplay on WoT. I must prefer things here, where flights of fancy are welcome, yet kept in some check.